State of Georgia Assistance Programs

State and local government assistance programs.
Rella
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: State of Georgia Assistance Programs

Post by Rella »

Hello my name is Lori and I live in Atlanta GA. I went to the social service office to see about the Lihep program but no one was there.
My circumstances are a bit unusual and lengthy to explain so I will try to convey as much as possible in as short of a version as possible.
I am 55 years old I'll be 56 in April. I had a stent placed in my heart approximately 5 years ago but in the last year I have more physical issues going on that are hindering my abilities in many ways. At the same time I'm having some issues with depression and anxiety that I feel like are situational due to the stress of just trying to figure out how to survive.
I have no insurance have not been under the care of a doctor and several months ago I wound up in the ER being diagnosed with COPD which ha s really changed my life. I need help from the State of Georgia and the state assistance programs.
Up until a couple of months ago I and my family including my ex-husband thought that when I turned 60 I could start drawing from my ex-husband's railroad pension which would have basically changed my life for the better. But he called to find out what all I needed to do paperwork was and found out that since I am a former spouse I can't draw his railroad retirement pension until I'm 62.
So now I'm having to deal with trying to apply for disability which we all know doesn't happen overnight. So in the meantime I need help so the LIHEAP program sounded like something that would help me until I can get on my feet. Basically my endurance and getting short of breath which has been very frustrating for me to come to terms with because I'm used to taking care of everything physically and financially I've been a single woman for over 20 years. But just little things get in the garbage cans out to the road for example have become a chore that wears me out. So I've decided that maybe working online from home is probably my best option and I am making steps in that direction.
I do receive food stamps thank God and my phone service is through the free government program. I was a caregiver for many years for an uncle who passed away after the covid epidemic started. After he passed his children sold the house that I was living in that had become a part of my pay and the man that bought it didn't want to rent it so I had to get out. I wound up living in a tent for several months in the summer last year which is how I finally got approved for food stamps.
Anyway I now live in a mobile home that still needs much repair that belongs to my ex husband who does not charge me any rent at this point due to my circumstances and the condition of the house. This is what I hope the GA assistance programs will help me with.
it's kind of half fixed so I just live in the good half. Anyway I knew there was no way to explain any of my stuff without it getting lengthy I'm so sorry, I'm finding myself so overwhelmed it's a shame there's not a place I can just walk into that can help me with everything all at once instead of having to go to a zillion different entities trying to get straightened out I feel like one of those people in the circus twirling the plates on the sticks.
I don't really know anything about the LIHEAP program but it just sounded like a program that could help me until I can start making some money again and gain back control of my life. My phone service for some reason does not work in the house I have to be outside somewhere so I'm going to give you my phone number and also my son who can reach me through Messenger online. I'll also give you my address I don't know if there's an application process if there's other things that you guys handle that you could help me with. I'm praying that this email reaches out to help me get busy getting better! Thank you in advance and have a blessed day!
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

Since you have a long list of needs, both financial and more, (including a place to live in Atlanta) maybe try Urban Ministries in the city. They offer many programs for struggling people, and read more on Atlanta urban ministries.
Rella wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:04 pm Hello my name is Lori and I live in Atlanta GA.
Pat19

Post by Pat19 »

Good afternoon,
I’m reaching out to see if you knew of anywhere in Gwinnett county GA that offered this help with evictions and provides other assistance. Single mother of a disable son & I work for the school district but due to his health issues lost a lot of work without time paid to take care of him. Now facing eviction by end of July or court one by end of August. Any information that you could possibly refer me with that would be greatly appreciate it. I’ve been looking everywhere. I did not find anything that can help me at the moment in Georgia. I don’t have any support here family or friends. Any help or referral to where to go for help would be so greatly appreciated.