Updates to home for disability

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Carney
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Updates to home for disability

Post by Carney »

Hello,
I hope that you can help me, or refer me to someone who can.
I am a disabled female living in Detroit's south side.
I am having a very hard time using the shower stall in my house. No bath chair or bench goes in it, and once the chair or bench is in it, there is no room for me.
I have very bad knees, which requires replacement of both joints. I have many more injuries.
I have been told that a walk in tub would make my life easier, and without the fear of falling.
I live alone, and call one of my sons to come over so they can be traumatized at the thought of naked mom layed out on the floor because she wanted to take a shower.
My sons are 24 & 18.
If I could do it myself I would. I am sorry, money in my house is for the basic stuff. Food, gas, bills & rent, Dr & prescriptions.
I would appreciate anything you can do to help me out.
Thank you,
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Updates to home for disability

Post by Admin »

There are things you can try, such as a Lifeline bracelet to contact your sons. That way you will not be laying on the floor. As far as the modifications, can't your sons help pay for them? Also, do you really need to live along...it does not sound like the best thing for you. But there may be some disability home repair programs to try. Maybe they can add the shower stall you want. But it will be rare for an improvement like that to be covered.
Carney wrote: I am having a very hard time using the shower stall in my house. No bath chair or bench goes in it, and once the chair or bench is in it, there is no room for me.
I have very bad knees, which requires replacement of both joints. I have many more injuries.
I have been told that a walk in tub would make my life easier, and without the fear of falling.