Does disability help people move in Connecticut

State and local government assistance programs.
Shades
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Does disability help people move in Connecticut

Post by Shades »

I am fine and live in Stamford CT, however I have a friend that currently lives in Bridgeport who is considering a move to this area for some help and a new start for her girls. She is a 33 year old single mother of two girls. Her oldest is 12 and has severe cerebral palsy. She is non-communicative, requires wheelchair, eats with feeding tube, etc. her second girl, is healthy and 6 years old. The mom receives no support from her daughters father as he moved to Mexico and is not involved in their lives.
In Bridgeport her means of work is caring for her mother who suffered a stroke and requires 24/7 care, of which she is paid by the state as a care giver, $1,100 a month. Her current apartment is not fit for her daughter or her disabilities. And her daughter is the only one who receives medical insurance through the state. She pays for her younger child's insurance and has none herself. She wasn't approved for section 8 in CT and following her tax return they just stopped the only help she was receiving which was food stamps because the return pushed her above the limit for SSI disability payments.
I am hoping you can direct me in the correct direction and to figure out how moving out of her current state and here to CT would be a wise decision and most important where would I begin this process.
Mondavi

Re: Does disability help people move in Connecticut

Post by Mondavi »

Times have been really rough for my family lately. I'm working full time and I just can't seem to get ahead no matter how hard I try as Connecticut is so expensive. I've found myself having to choose diapers for my disabled daughter or bills. I've sacrificed buying hygiene products and necessities for myself just to stretch money further for bills.
I've exhausted all my resources, energy assistance programs are out of funds, etc. It’s really hard for me to ask for help, but if I can't pay my bill by Monday then we will spend the holidays in the dark. This is my 9 month disabled old daughters first Christmas so it really breaks my heart to be in this position. I really appreciate any help. Thank you!!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does disability help people move in Connecticut

Post by Admin »

Of course it can, if qualified. A doctor needs to approve, you need to go through the SSA application process, meeting come goals and more. if you do all this, the programs in Connecticut are here. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... nefit.html