Low income housing for seniors

Find how to get help with rent
Troyyer
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Low income housing for seniors

Post by Troyyer »

I am 65, on S.S.I. At 34 after divorce, moved to Utah. I found a friend of my cousins that lived here. He offered me a place to stay, $250 a month plus electric. All I had to do in return was take care of his bills and phone calls. He is a Vietnam vet, with problems that continually get worse. I have to move. I have neuropathy, and M.S. That is why I am on S.S.I. I cannot walk without a walker, and even then I have a hard time. I am scared. I have never really been on my own, and the thought of it frightens me. But at 61 you face reality. "How much time do I really have left?" Before it's my time to go I would like to experience happiness. I found a housing development for retired people. I am 61 physically, but have the mind of a much younger person. Saying old folks home, or senior makes me think I am talking about someone else. The appointment I found was in Windsor Colorado. It was $450 a month. I thought how can I afford the rent and live. I have a border collie that is 12; he has been with me since he was a baby. The doctor told me that he is an important part of my mental welfare, and my health, if he sees something wrong, he is right there licking the heck out of my face to make sure I am o.k. I have no idea how to go about finding a place that I can afford. I want to find a place in Eaton (which is where I live now) it is a very nice small, homey and safe place to live. Or Windsor, I don’t know much about it, but I thought if I had to I would give it a try. If I could get any advice on where to get started it would be greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Low income housing for seniors

Post by Admin »

There are a number of programs and agencies that focus on senior needs in Utah. We are sure some can advice you on housing or the rent help you need. Be sure to try your local Agency on Aging office, and there are some in every town and county. Also look into the so called alternatives program. All of the advice and information the agency provide are free, so no risk in calling around. Find all of the Senior programs in Utah.
SAlameda

Post by SAlameda »

To whom it concerns,
I moved here to Illinois over the phone from Kansas City, MO. This area is where my family is from. I also moved here because of the violence in Kansas City. My problem is that I have applied for a Section 8 voucher (that was this past March). I have been approved but only for a one bedroomm. Ordinarily that would be fine, but when I moved here, I needed a place that was large enough for all my belongings and my grandchildren during the summer. What I am currently renting is qualified as a 2 bedroom. or a one bedroom. with a study room (extremely small bedroom area, only big enough for a dresser and fold down sofa).
My rent here is 550.00 per month and any extra I had after my move here is gone, which doesn’t leave anything out of my 868.00 monthly disability check. 318.00 is all I have left out of my check for Electric, internet, phone and Transportation which alone is between 80.00 and 120.00 per month. This is not to mention my 90.00 per month tithe to my church. It does include my trips to “pool therapy” but not the cost of that therapy which is another 15.00 per month.
I also have two cats that came with me and that is an expense I have that is all mine to pay. It runs 20.00 per month per cat. I have no car expense but the 80.00 to 100.00 is for all the trips I have to take on Para transit here, just to get to the doctors, pharmacy, grocery shopping once a week. It is 2.00 per one-way trip per event or outing. The first month I had to pay the normal rate of 7.00 per.
I have also applied for AAAD and that was the first part of March…I am on the waiting list but they cannot tell me when I would be able to have someone come into my house to help me with my chores. I really need financial and physical help now, not 6 months from now. I have been borrowing some 400.00 dollars per month just to make ends meet but this is money I have to pay back…also a difficult task.
I would truly appreciate anything you can do to help these processes along. I am qualified for Sections 811 and for the Seniors Section as well. Currently (and I pay all my bills on time and have good credit rating which I do not want to lose), I am quickly going into debt which scares me as well as my new “cancer” threat. I have had the first part of my tests which yielded the ugly prognosis and the second part of my test is Monday the 8th of November. I hope you can see my dilemma, and if I have to move….I certainly cannot do that with lots of help either. Again, I truly hope that you can offer some help along the lines of expediting the things that I have already began. And if I do have to move, I would like to move to another town. But I have found no place online in which to apply there. Or does that matter. I was under the impression that you had to apply in the county you reside or intend to reside in???
As you can see, I am going to need a lot of help at this moment of my life. I am not accustomed to asking for it, but I am too old and weak to do otherwise right now. And if the help is there for the disabled and elderly…I need it now. Thank you again for your cooperation.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Some apartment owners and private landlords may be part of the HUD section 202 program. This is a federal resource that encourages affordable hosing for seniors, and units may be pet friendly too. But as you said there are also HUD programs for the disabled in Missouri too, so try that. These units may offer free transportation, information on local cancer clinics, and many other services for seniors that live in the housing units. Here are details. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... using.html

SAlameda wrote:To whom it concerns,
I moved here to Illinois over the phone from Kansas City, MO. This area is where my family is from. I also moved here because of the violence in Kansas City. My problem is that I have applied for a Section 8 voucher (that was this past March). I have been approved but only for a one bedroomm. Ordinarily that would be fine, but when I moved here, I needed a place that was large enough for all my belongings and my grandchildren during the summer. What I am currently renting is qualified as a 2 bedroom. or a one bedroom. with a study room (extremely small bedroom area, only big enough for a dresser and fold down sofa).
My rent here is 550.00 per month and any extra I had after my move here is gone, which doesn’t leave anything out of my 868.00 monthly disability check. 318.00 is all I have left out of my check for Electric, internet, phone and Transportation which alone is between 80.00 and 120.00 per month. This is not to mention my 90.00 per month tithe to my church. It does include my trips to “pool therapy” but not the cost of that therapy which is another 15.00 per month.
I also have two cats that came with me and that is an expense I have that is all mine to pay. It runs 20.00 per month per cat. I have no car expense but the 80.00 to 100.00 is for all the trips I have to take on Para transit here, just to get to the doctors, pharmacy, grocery shopping once a week. It is 2.00 per one-way trip per event or outing. The first month I had to pay the normal rate of 7.00 per.
I have also applied for AAAD and that was the first part of March…I am on the waiting list but they cannot tell me when I would be able to have someone come into my house to help me with my chores. I really need financial and physical help now, not 6 months from now. I have been borrowing some 400.00 dollars per month just to make ends meet but this is money I have to pay back…also a difficult task.
I would truly appreciate anything you can do to help these processes along. I am qualified for Sections 811 and for the Seniors Section as well. Currently (and I pay all my bills on time and have good credit rating which I do not want to lose), I am quickly going into debt which scares me as well as my new “cancer” threat. I have had the first part of my tests which yielded the ugly prognosis and the second part of my test is Monday the 8th of November. I hope you can see my dilemma, and if I have to move….I certainly cannot do that with lots of help either. Again, I truly hope that you can offer some help along the lines of expediting the things that I have already began. And if I do have to move, I would like to move to another town. But I have found no place online in which to apply there. Or does that matter. I was under the impression that you had to apply in the county you reside or intend to reside in???
As you can see, I am going to need a lot of help at this moment of my life. I am not accustomed to asking for it, but I am too old and weak to do otherwise right now. And if the help is there for the disabled and elderly…I need it now. Thank you again for your cooperation.