Hanging on & freezing in OHIO

If you are struggling with utility - energy bills.
NHPB has more info on energy assistance, and find local utility bill assistance programs.
hangingon
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Hanging on & freezing in OHIO

Post by hangingon »

I just discovered this site, hope you can help me. I live in Franklin County, near Columbus, Ohio, in Hilliard, OH. I am desperately hanging on. I had to leave my home due to an abusive spouse. I have a new job and have finally been able to save up enough $ to rent a place. I called to initiate new service and discovered that there are outstanding gas bills from 1989 - 92! I was shocked that they could still hold me responsible for something 21 years ago when I divorced my 1st husband and he left unpaid bills. It was my understanding that they were paid off when we divorced even though the utilities were in my name. There is a balance of $235.50 from a gas bill from 1989! I don't know how they could then have allowed me to initiate new service without clearing it up at the previous address. I allowed my daughter & her girlfriend to live at the new address & apparently they left an unpaid gas bill for $395.98 and an electric bill for $97.63 without my knowledge there. Therefore I owe a grand total of almost $900 before I can even get the gas & electric hooked back up! I just emptied my bank account to pay the 1st, last & current month's rent. I spent my first night in the new place - it was freezing, there is no warm air & only freezing water. I was shaking so badly I couldn't wait to get in my car this morning to crank up the heat. I finally warmed up at work. I don't want to go to my new place now because I know I'm going to get sick from the cold. HELP!
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Hanging on & freezing in OHIO

Post by Admin »

Options for Franklin County Ohio are numerous. for starters, try the Impact Community Action agency, which can be called at 614.252.2799. They run the Emergency Home Energy Assistance Program (E-HEAP)
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... e_pro.html

Another non-profit to try is St. Stephen's Community House, and there number is 614-294-6347. Use the link above to find many different options and programs.
hangingon wrote:I just discovered this site, hope you can help me. I live in Franklin County, near Columbus, Ohio, in Hilliard, OH. I am desperately hanging on. I had to leave my home due to an abusive spouse. I have a new job and have finally been able to save up enough $ to rent a place. I called to initiate new service and discovered that there are outstanding gas bills from 1989 - 92! I was shocked that they could still hold me responsible for something 21 years ago when I divorced my 1st husband and he left unpaid bills. It was my understanding that they were paid off when we divorced even though the utilities were in my name. There is a balance of $235.50 from a gas bill from 1989! I don't know how they could then have allowed me to initiate new service without clearing it up at the previous address. I allowed my daughter & her girlfriend to live at the new address & apparently they left an unpaid gas bill for $395.98 and an electric bill for $97.63 without my knowledge there. Therefore I owe a grand total of almost $900 before I can even get the gas & electric hooked back up! I just emptied my bank account to pay the 1st, last & current month's rent. I spent my first night in the new place - it was freezing, there is no warm air & only freezing water. I was shaking so badly I couldn't wait to get in my car this morning to crank up the heat. I finally warmed up at work. I don't want to go to my new place now because I know I'm going to get sick from the cold. HELP!
Leapyear

Post by Leapyear »

I have an old utility bill from a house that I had which was foreclosed on. I recently found a small apartment where I need to pay electric and heating. I contacted Duke Utility Co. to see if I could make arrangements to pay the old bill and get the electric at the new apartment I found turned on in my name. The rep mentioned the winter rule, which would allow me to have the electric turned on with a $175 payment and the old bill divided over a six month period. My monthly income (approximately $1,350 for 1 person) exceeded other help programs. I know I owe the bill (although I didn't think it was as high as the amount stated by the rep. Dividing the bill into 6 payments would be setting myself up for failure. If you know of any agency or plan that could help me get the payments extended over 12 - 18 months it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon,
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

Ohio does have the winter rule. It is formally called the Winter Reconnect Program. Why are you not using that? Other options may include PIPP Plus as well as the Ohio Energy Credit (OEC) Program. They are all offered to all residents of the state of Ohio. Specifically Duke Energy runs the HeatShare program, and learn more by calling Salvation Army at 513-721-0795. Find all of the Ohio heating assistance programs here. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/ohi ... assis.html
Leapyear wrote:I have an old utility bill from a house that I had which was foreclosed on. I recently found a small apartment where I need to pay electric and heating. I contacted Duke Utility Co. to see if I could make arrangements to pay the old bill and get the electric at the new apartment I found turned on in my name. The rep mentioned the winter rule, which would allow me to have the electric turned on with a $175 payment and the old bill divided over a six month period. My monthly income (approximately $1,350 for 1 person) exceeded other help programs. I know I owe the bill (although I didn't think it was as high as the amount stated by the rep. Dividing the bill into 6 payments would be setting myself up for failure. If you know of any agency or plan that could help me get the payments extended over 12 - 18 months it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon,