Find how to get help with rent
Rotatia
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

I borrowed rent money from mom and can't repay

Post by Rotatia »

Hello,
My name is Whitney. I live in Indianapolis, IN. I’m in a bit of a bad predicament as I was unable to pay my rent last month and I borrowed money a couple months ago from my mom and have not repaid her. I am shy roughly $2,900 and with the new month/year here, rent is due yet again. So far, I have received a notice that if rent is not paid by the 11th, the eviction process will be started. I cannot afford to lose my apartment, it’s all I have. I have absolutely no other options to get my rent paid. I have roughly $13,000 in debt total ranging from personal loans, one credit card, and money I owe my mother for past rent.
One year ago, my father found out that he had stage 4 lung cancer. At that time, I was employed full time with a very good company, PepsiCo. I eventually became so depressed that I left the company, and was unemployed for nearly 2 months before I was hired by another company, Coca-Cola, doing similar work. It was around the end of March when I found this new employer (March 27, 2023). Around this time, my dad’s overall health started to deteriorate rapidly. He was in and out of the hospital due to pain from the cancer and breathing problems. I eventually found out through a doctor that his 9th rib had cracked due to the cancer spreading all throughout his body. It was practically everywhere.
Fast forward to the beginning of June, my employer at the time had called me into the office. I will note that I had requested a few times to leave early so I could see my father in the hospital, which they did somewhat oblige. I knew they weren’t happy that I wasn’t working 10-14 hours shift, but family at this time, my dad, was way more important. Anyways, the company let me go. They pulled me into the office on a Friday to let me know that I was no longer going to be employed with them.
During the time after being fired, I was able to spend the last week and a half with my father who was in the hospital, then sent to hospice care where he passed away nearly 2 days later. I sacrificed my own time and financial wellbeing so that I could be there for my father as he was scared the entire time. No one else (minus my older brother) could’ve sacrificed like I could. I would’ve done it no matter what. Family, especially my dad, he was extremely important to me.
After his funeral, I started a new job the day after with another company doing the same line of work, Keurig Dr Pepper, which did not last long. I simply was not happy doing this kind of work anymore. However, after leaving that company, I found work immediately after with another company, UPS, which I am still at to this day with no plans to leave anytime soon. This will give me some time to make money to repay my mom.
I am so far behind on everything. I can pay all of my bills minus my rent and personal loans. I also owe my mother $3,100 which I used to pay my rent. I simply do not make enough to afford to live. I have been in an extremely dark place with no end in sight. Anything helps. I am grateful for any help that I can get. My credit score used to be around 750. I’m honestly scared to even look now. I took great pride in my credit score and being able to pay my bills and to have money left over/saved up. I am unable to save anything due to the high cost of living, especially by myself, as well as the rocky start I went through at the beginning of 2023. My credit is absolutely shot from not being able to pay off my loans, as well as being sent to collections. An eviction will absolutely be my worst nightmare. I don’t think I’ll ever recover from it. I would do anything to prevent this eviction from going through and to get my overdue rent paid.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: I borrowed rent money from mom and can't repay

Post by Admin »

Hi Whitney,
Well of course no program will help you repay your mom. That is something you both need to resolve. But for that other rent you owe, rather than be evicted, there are some programs that will help prevent evictions. Try them, and [urlhttps://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/evicti ... grams.html]apply for help with an eviction[/url] using the resources on the website.
Rotatia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:09 am Hello,
My name is Whitney. I’m in a bit of a bad predicament as I was unable to pay my rent last month and I borrowed money a couple months ago from my mom and have not repaid her.