FEMA

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Charlie
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

FEMA

Post by Charlie »

Hello,
I live in Greencastle, IN. Last week during the huge rains
we had my basement flooded. I lost my furnace, hot water heater, new washer and
dryer, along with many other items. My basement is really in need of repair, I also
need help replacing the items lost. I don't have insurance, other than FEMA help, to cover the expenses. I
have no where to go for help. Can you give me any assistance?
FEMA has not declared
the state as a disaster area. My air conditioner will not work this summer if my
furnace is not replaced. I am a single mom, I have one child at home, he is a
teenager in college. I am also a full time student trying to better my life. I just
can't seem to get ahead no matter how I try or how hard I work. Any help you could
give me would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
BillOR

Re: FEMA

Post by BillOR »

I've been calling and visiting offices all around Columbia, SC and Richland County since October 2015. I was denied assistance from FEMA, twice. I am a single mother who lost her job due to the flood. And now I have my mom living with me who was recently amputated.
I am in need of beds for my children and some utility assistance, however, everywhere I call or go I don't get any results. I've called 211, the state, the county, goodwill, Wateree, housing authorities, his house, etc....and I'm still not getting any results. Can you please help? As it stands, I will be homeless in two to three months if things don't pick up.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

In addition to FEMA, another place to try is the Salvation Army. The local centers often respond in an emergency. They provide food, water, clothing, and more. They also work with the American Red Cross. So try the Salvation Arm disaster relief programs, as they do asisst.
They respond in floods, fires, and more. And once you settle down, volunteer there to also give back to the community.
BillOR wrote:I've been calling and visiting offices all around Columbia, SC and Richland County since October 2015. I was denied assistance from FEMA, twice. I am a single mother who lost her job due to the flood. And now I have my mom living with me who was recently amputated.
I am in need of beds for my children and some utility assistance, however, everywhere I call or go I don't get any results. I've called 211, the state, the county, goodwill, Wateree, housing authorities, his house, etc....and I'm still not getting any results. Can you please help? As it stands, I will be homeless in two to three months if things don't pick up.
Clearchoice

Post by Clearchoice »

Hello
I’m writing this email in hopes of obtaining information about financial assistance to cover my expenses for moving to another apartment.
My situation is not unique. I’m one of 100’s, if NOT thousands of people, who have been given notice of vacating their apartments (home). The Management of my Apartment Complex has recently decided that they no longer want to rent to persons who use Section 8 as a way to cover their rent costs.
Thus, Turning down a guaranteed check, every month for the entire time of the lease; and payments for any damage because we pay apartment rent before being able to sign a lease, mmm credit and background checks…
Am I leaving anything out here.
I am being told that I am to move by the time my annual recertification expires the end of December 2023. I am NOT being evicted.
Let me say that this was sudden and unexpected.
In 2021, Nashville (TN) experienced a devastating flood that was worse than the one we experienced in
Made the local and world news. The first floors of all four buildings; A-B-C and D, are still under some form of reconstruction and not available to rent.
If you have any incite how this is logical, let me know.
I personally experienced it along with many neighbors in four buildings in our complex. The destruction caused by the flood to our 4 buildings at CityVUE caused FEMA to condemn them as Uninhabitable.
They were literally boarded up and we were all forced out that next morning when the electricity was shut off.
When I say “We” , I am counting all the different types of people that lived in all four buildings in our complex. Young old black white handicapped foreigners and some paid full rent and some had subsidized housing.
The Red Cross among other agencies helped relocate the people in the buildings.
I stayed with some friends for 15 1/2 weeks before the apartment building was refurbished enough to allow anyone inside.
Meanwhile, I petitioned the complex to relocate me in another apartment in another building on higher ground. That happened
July 5-6th. Yes, I was granted two days.
My apartment along with several dozen other people’s, sat for all those months with out any electricity (no lights or AC)
I lost a lot of item’s because of the extremes in temperatures. Like how rust gets in the metal seams of a trunk, suitcase and my microwave. I had to get new ones.
I hired a moving company to help pack up my belongings on one day and then move them (less than a half mile away) to my new apartment. They helped me with off site disposal of my rusted stuff along with other things that I had to throw away.
Because of Covid19 I began using my extra book case as a pantry for my food and staple goods.
I lost a LOT OF FOOD ‼️
Oils that soured. And salt that clumped. Flour that smelled of a weird mold and rust and dirt. Along with other food items and spices. I was devastated.
All things combined ; It cost me about $5,300.00. Just so you know, and FEMA did not cover it all. I had the Catholic Charities help me with the difference.
Right now I have an application in with a nearby apartment complex that will hopefully have a place for me in the next few months. Before June 30th.
I have been working with my friend (of 42 years) to down size the a bunch NOT UNPACKED FROM.
I’ve been on my own pretty much to hunt down apartments that still even take HCVs (Housing Choice Voucher) for rent, under MDHA.
Same as with the unpacking giant boxes of stuff. In some cases piled up random items that were just the nearest thing to grab. Because it was July 5th and a 106* out side and so humid. Inside the apartment where the young men worked to pack my boxes their was limited lighting and no AC.
I’m going to avoid that this move. Cooler month and weather. And less chaos and clutter.
I am so weary dealing with FEMA and floods Let this sink in a minute…
Like with any business or agency lately; you get a number and call it. They say visit our website.
Then the website says, Call your local office and ask them. Send out a couple emails to people,
And then you go around with a couple more calls and a few more questions and then you don’t get any answers or help or replies.
The ONLY GOVERNMENT PERSON who helped me with actual paperwork of a list of possible apartments and a few xerox pages of charities and agencies was Brenda Elliott. She works with the Metro Action Commission here in Nashville. She is a wonderful woman.
Give her a raise and guarantee her job.
Through my searches I NEVER FOUND ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY THAT HAD FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR SENIORS TO MOVE‼️‼️
Believe me ‼️I have looked ‼️
Now I am asking you to please help me with the debt I am about to incur.
Will you be able to reimburse me for this if I put it on my credit card.
That’s the only way I can pay for it today, right now.
And like FEMA I will invoice everything that I have to pay for during this process.
Can you please send me the name of the reliable source for this information.
If not your group, please let me know WHO….
Running out of time and options here….
And make sure YOU CALL THEM AND THEY ARE A REAL PLACE. And not just another dead end.
What if there was some creative financing where my rent could get covered for a few months in addition to the FEMA money. And then I could pay for a few months of my debt while some paperwork goes through proper channels. And I am reimbursed by someone paying off credit card. Directly.
And I don’t get further in debt. I’m sure you are familiar with Interest Rates.
My current FICO score is 803. How’s yours
Sigh
Please don’t let my rambling get in the way of your trying to understand my need. I can show you copies of my awards letter from SSD hand SSI for 2023. I have both direct deposit in my Bank of America account on the first and third of each month. Total: $934.00
SSI $152.00 SSD $782.00
Since the flood I had to buy a new car. My State Farm insurance doubled. My other car was paid for, and in excellent shape and running condition.
New expenses I never planned on getting.
Kia $159.00 a month
State Farm $102.00 a month.
Rent. $142.00 ($35.00 of which is added TO THE RENT AMOUNT, for new water and sewage bills)
Next, is the electric bill; between $70.00 and
$110.00. No I’m not kidding. One bedroom. Old building; 1974.
Lastly the $30-40.00 a month I pay on a couple hundred dollars on my credit card bill. Most all of my bills are auto pay. I decide what amount above the minimum that I can pay. It’s at least $20. to $30.00 over the minimum.
Thus the 803 FICO score.
When this jumps up to the thousands I will NOT be able to cover the monthly minimum.
Do the Math. Seriously.
Please help me out with what I need to do to get relief from FEMA and the help I need.
I guess I’m finished.
Thanks for listening
Pass this email on to the team or the next person who needs to read it or whatever SO I DO NOT HAVE TO TYPE ANOTHER LETTER ‼️‼️
Sincerely,