Hardship from blood clotting disorder

State and local government assistance programs.
Scott G
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Hardship from blood clotting disorder

Post by Scott G »

Hi there,
I'm writing to you out of desperation. I am 37 years old, married without children, and until 4/16/20 working full time as a travel/ER/trauma nurse. I had no financial problems, and always lived beneath my means. On April 3, 2020, I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis which was thought to be related to an unknown blood clotting disorder.
I have been hospitalized 19 days since then and have been on medical leave from work. I had short-term disability insurance, which helped during the first 13 weeks. After that, I have not been able to make any further money. My husband has only been able to secure a part-time retail job. I have been told by my multiple medical providers that I have an acquired autoimmune disorder that causes excess clotting of my blood. I'm in severe pain every day, and have to take prescription medications for pain, nausea, muscle relaxation, and severe, debilitating migraines. I have also been diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism and have had liver issues which are believed to be related to the autoimmune disorder. The blood tests for this disorder need to be done 12 weeks apart so I'm currently waiting for the final results of the blood disorder and a plan of care, which I have been told is blood thinners for the rest of my life. The severe migraines are also related to this clotting disorder. Having said all of that, I'm currently unable to work, and my doctors are unsure I will ever be able to practice emergency nursing again. Because of my previous work history, I do not qualify for any reduced-fee medical care for the blood clotting disorder. I receive my insurance through COBRA.
I find myself in a position where I've depleted my savings, my retirement account, and am still unable to pay my bills. This is a circumstance I never thought would happen to me, but here I am. We have a small mortgage on our home, and a car payment monthly. Our heating oil tank is empty, but we cannot afford to refill it at this time. We have managed to acquire food and have a full pantry and freezer now. We do not, however, have enough money for anything else. My husband makes approximately $225 per week, and has student loans, so his income is nearly used up after paying those. I have done some research for treatment for the blood clotting disorder, and have been unable to find any programs, or assistance that we would qualify for given my previous income bracket, and lack of children.
Could you possibly offer us some hope? Thank you,
Karin
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Hardship from blood clotting disorder

Post by Admin »

Hi Karin,
We did not see the county you live in, and you have multiple needs. Try this link for information by site, city and county. Learn more and get details to find help.
Scott G wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:36 pm Hi there,
I'm writing to you out of desperation. I am 37 years old, married without children, and until 4/16/20 working full time as a travel/ER/trauma nurse. I had no financial problems, and always lived beneath my means. On April 3, 2020, I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis which was thought to be related to an unknown blood clotting disorder.