Delta COVID

State and local government assistance programs.
Raven Redmond
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Delta COVID

Post by Raven Redmond »

Good morning ,
My name is Shawn.
I am a single mother working in an essential field and caught in a multi-faceted dilemma due to the new Delta COVID variant.
As a single mom I am raising my 14 year old son on the wages of a cashier in a grocery store making $9/hr. I relocated to this area last summer and was displaced in September.  At that time, I began to rent a room at Hotel NC for $250 a week which was the only room I could find for us that I would be able to afford.
Three months in and my oldest son and grandson needed to come live here too.
My son also got a job at the grocery store and started to help me with the $1000 a month rent in this double bed 2 star motel.
At the time neither one of us had our own transportation. I was catching three buses to and from work each day.
As a nighttime stocker my son was able to catch a ride to work with his coworkers.
We had been saving money and looking for permanent housing, even paid for a company to help, still nothing. When taxes came, we were able to find cars, one day before the order was sent for everyone to be in by 5pm.
It is beautiful for people who feel compelled to stand out and be on the front line and to be considered a hero when dealing with COIVD, and now Delta is coming on......that however should be a choice.
I do not believe it benefits my family to put myself at face to face risk for 8 hours a day to come out at the end with just over $500 enough to pay rent until I get paid again. I do not feel like a hero for my family because our situation has not changed.
How can I choose to save my family and not be an essential hero without being penalized? I have to pay for this room every week and I am scared to go to work for fear of contracting the virus and spreading it to my family. Two customers from my store have already contracted the virus...
The store has given $1hr (hazard pay) to all part time essential employees (includes us) and $2 (hazard pay) for full time essential employees .This is more than a paycheck to me.
It is crazy to think that us putting our families lives on the line as essential workers during Delta COVID helping to assure the preservation of the core of this country can be bought at the risk of health (possibly life) for less than $1hr extra (after taxes) I take the stay at home order very seriously, as it should be....how do I get to experience the same safety millions of Americans have been ordered to participate in.
March 28 was my youngest son's 15th birthday. I have been calling out of work for a week.
 My mom died of breast cancer when my brother was 16.
My dad died of MS when my youngest was 7. I need to be here for my son.
I do not want to be a hero during the breakout of this COVID variant called Delta ....especially to people who come out to get a slim Jim and a soda and call that an emergency.
They are hiring people right in front of us so that once the workers start to get sick, they can be quickly replaced to keep the business up and running  Despite the mild precautionary measures taken to help prevent the spread of this virus....I don't feel safe enough.  My mind will not rest. It cannot be seen, the virus.. When I mentioned my concerns to my boss she said " when it is your turn to go , no mask or gloves is going to save you, when God says it's your time, so I just wash my hands and be careful. I can't live my life in fear".
I respect how she feels but are not I entitled to my own interpretation of my understanding of the relationship I have with my creator..
Her answer seemed insensitive to my present concern for my safety and the safety of my family.
Leaving me still a scared single mom
Thank you for reading this email. I am not sure if there is anything you can do to help but I am willing to try everything to save my family .
Shawn
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Delta COVID

Post by Admin »

Hi Shawn,
The federal government did provide some American Rescue Funds to help people with housing as a result of COVID. Try an agency near you or charity organization. Find emergency rent assistance from American Rescue Act.
Raven Redmond wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:20 pm Good morning ,
My name is Shawn.
I am a single mother working in an essential field and caught in a multi-faceted dilemma due to the new Delta COVID variant.
As a single mom I am raising my 14 year old son on the wages of a cashier in a grocery store making $9/hr. I relocated to this area last summer and was displaced in September.  At that time, I began to rent a room at Hotel NC for $250 a week which was the only room I could find for us that I would be able to afford.
Three months in and my oldest son and grandson needed to come live here too.
My son also got a job at the grocery store and started to help me with the $1000 a month rent in this double bed 2 star motel.
At the time neither one of us had our own transportation. I was catching three buses to and from work each day.
As a nighttime stocker my son was able to catch a ride to work with his coworkers.
We had been saving money and looking for permanent housing, even paid for a company to help, still nothing. When taxes came, we were able to find cars, one day before the order was sent for everyone to be in by 5pm.
It is beautiful for people who feel compelled to stand out and be on the front line and to be considered a hero when dealing with COIVD, and now Delta is coming on......that however should be a choice.
I do not believe it benefits my family to put myself at face to face risk for 8 hours a day to come out at the end with just over $500 enough to pay rent until I get paid again. I do not feel like a hero for my family because our situation has not changed.
How can I choose to save my family and not be an essential hero without being penalized? I have to pay for this room every week and I am scared to go to work for fear of contracting the virus and spreading it to my family. Two customers from my store have already contracted the virus...
The store has given $1hr (hazard pay) to all part time essential employees (includes us) and $2 (hazard pay) for full time essential employees .This is more than a paycheck to me.
It is crazy to think that us putting our families lives on the line as essential workers during Delta COVID helping to assure the preservation of the core of this country can be bought at the risk of health (possibly life) for less than $1hr extra (after taxes) I take the stay at home order very seriously, as it should be....how do I get to experience the same safety millions of Americans have been ordered to participate in.
March 28 was my youngest son's 15th birthday. I have been calling out of work for a week.
 My mom died of breast cancer when my brother was 16.
My dad died of MS when my youngest was 7. I need to be here for my son.
I do not want to be a hero during the breakout of this COVID variant called Delta ....especially to people who come out to get a slim Jim and a soda and call that an emergency.
They are hiring people right in front of us so that once the workers start to get sick, they can be quickly replaced to keep the business up and running  Despite the mild precautionary measures taken to help prevent the spread of this virus....I don't feel safe enough.  My mind will not rest. It cannot be seen, the virus.. When I mentioned my concerns to my boss she said " when it is your turn to go , no mask or gloves is going to save you, when God says it's your time, so I just wash my hands and be careful. I can't live my life in fear".
I respect how she feels but are not I entitled to my own interpretation of my understanding of the relationship I have with my creator..
Her answer seemed insensitive to my present concern for my safety and the safety of my family.
Leaving me still a scared single mom
Thank you for reading this email. I am not sure if there is anything you can do to help but I am willing to try everything to save my family .
Shawn