Seeking help for my mom from her abusive husband

People looking for general financial assistance.
Also look here for programs on the main NHPB site for local financial help.
DesireeDesiree
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Seeking help for my mom from her abusive husband

Post by DesireeDesiree »

My mother is a victim of domestic violence along with my two smaller brothers. They have removed her and the boys from the home into a shelter, but that is about as much help as she has found. I am looking for anyway for someone to assist her.
It is almost unfathomable to think that women with children can go through this and be told that they've got to find a place for rent with two bedrooms, in the most expensive county in New York for $950. I'm a single girl and I can't find a studio for that much in most places much less a two bedroom.
I think the lack of assistance my mother has gotten is what leads women like her back to the arms of the very men they are running from. What good is a system that essentially pushes for a women to separate from a violent situation but offers no leads on how to continue that act? This is the second DV shelter she's been in this year and nothing but a constant need for secrecy is what she's found. Meanwhile given no alternative I'm sure the percentage of women in similar situations as my mother are dealing with the same lack of answers and inability to perform any measurable kind of assistance. It seems more like false promises and thinly veiled threats of having to bounce around from shelter to shelter forever is the only thing offered to anyone.
How do you take a women from abuse and then tell her options are to either find a place that is surrounded by likeminded individuals to her abuser or her abuser... At what point does anyone take action and make an actual effort in protecting these women. It seems more like people aiding the abuser then the victim. At what point are the people who are supposed to assist these women held personally accountable for the deaths their repeated level of inaction causes? If you're not assisting these women like you promise then how are you in anyway different from the original abuser. Or any less culpable in his actions?
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Seeking help for my mom from her abusive husband

Post by Admin »

Too many women are impacted by domestic violence. Of course it is even worse as there are two children involved. Maybe try the New York City Salvation Army, as they may be able to offer both legal aid and housing resources. Even some free counseling for your mom (from the Salvation Army) will hopefully stop your mom from going back to that man.
DesireeDesiree wrote:My mother is a victim of domestic violence along with my two smaller brothers. They have removed her and the boys from the home into a shelter, but that is about as much help as she has found. I am looking for anyway for someone to assist her.
It is almost unfathomable to think that women with children can go through this and be told that they've got to find a place for rent with two bedrooms, in the most expensive county in New York for $950. I'm a single girl and I can't find a studio for that much in most places much less a two bedroom.