Programs for disabled and mom on SSI regarding homecare

State and local government assistance programs.
Diego
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Programs for disabled and mom on SSI regarding homecare

Post by Diego »

Hello.
We live in Raleigh, NC. My mom, who is disabled on social security disability, resides with us.
I stay home with my mom since I cannot leave her alone. By doing this I am able to keep her out of a nursing home where she cannot get the one on one care that I give her. She is also very content here whereas somewhere else her mental state is fragile due to the stroke she had and the damage that it did. She can easily get upset when she is not understanding something that is said to her, frightened is probably a better word.
I have been told, though I am not sure, that there is financial assistance available for Stokes county North Carolina residents so that I am able to stay home with her and continue the daily care that she needs. Is there such a program available?
At this time the only income that my household has is the disability check that my mom receives. Our household suffered a tremendous hardship around December 2014 due to a personal auto accident that my husband was in. He was a truck driver and this has ruined his career. No trucking company will hire him. He was let go at this job due to this accident and was awarded unemployment that just recently came to an end. They are not doing extensions. He is a student now at the age of 37. He is searching for employment but his experience is very limited. It has been no easy task even getting an interview.
So, we continue to work at things the best that we can and one day we'll get there. But right now we need help and are hoping that there is some sort of assistance out there for our household. We have no children. We are planning to file for food stamps in the very near future. I am just waiting on a phone call back for a checklist of what I need to have on hand when filing and I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in the gas to make it down there.
We entered into chapter 13 in 2009. We were a part of the economic crisis that occurred in 2008. But we were able to hold onto our home. Up until May 2012, we were handling things okay. Now though we are not able to handle things at this time. We are concerned that we will lose our home. I have paperwork ready to go out in the mail on Wednesday to ask our mortgage company for an interest rate reduction due to our financial hardship. Right now the only assistance we have to look forward to is the food stamps while hoping that our interest rate can be reduced. Is there any help available to us that we might qualify for? I'm sorry for such a lengthy email. It's just very hard to say what is going on in our household in a few small paragraphs. Thank you so much for reading. I appreciate it.
Denise234

Re: Programs for disabled and mom on SSI regarding homecare

Post by Denise234 »

My name is Melvins I live in Winter Haven FL with my and 2 kids and we are now on homecare. We recently we were face with losing our vehicle do to trying to catch up with bills. My wife and I do work - my wife works at a pawn store and I work for Polk county utilities. My wife and and I both have had surgery and are now disabled on SSI. Since then being trying to catch up. My wife had her gallbladder removed in February and I had back surgery in April and we do need our vehicle for work and back in fourth to the doctor for me which is 45 minutes to an hour.
I see this doctor for my back due to I was injured on the job. I am now on workman's comp and SSI disability and applying for homecare. Doctor and that is the only doctor that I can go and see so if there is any type if help that we can get would help us. The amount we owe on our vehicle is 2,500 and to get it back it would be 1,400. We have been paying on it was 7,000.
Shopper

Post by Shopper »

Good evening. My mother is currently receiving the Personal Choices home care program assistance for 4 hours a day as she is old, disabled and on SSI. I requested an additional 4 hours and was told that 8 hours is comparable to Nursing home assistance which is ridiculous because it doesn’t include nighttime care. With this said, my mother receives Medicaid and Medicare, and we need daycare for her. She has Alzheimer’s and my uncle lives with her but needs assistance. Please provide any suggestions and/or advice, thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are several homecare programs for the disabled on SSI. There is PACE, resources for aging centers and many others. We have details on our site, and learn more on disability Homecare resources. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... sable.html