Who helps caregivers

State and local government assistance programs.
Candy
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Who helps caregivers

Post by Candy »

I have become the full time live in caretaker for my 91 year old grandmother. I had to give up my home and my career to care for her. I have depleted all of my savings in the process. She cannot be left alone. My family is only able to give me 650.00 a month.
My grandmother does receive social security which pays the mortgage and utilities. Is there any assistance I could qualify for? Thank you for your help.
sasolis

Re: Who helps caregivers

Post by sasolis »

While commendable you are helping your grandmother you shouldn't have had to give up your job or life to do so. Doing so now leaves you dependent on the family to try and take care of you. You should be able to get some type of assistance/payment for being a caregiver. Call your local Dept of Family/Child services or Dept of Health and ask where you go to apply for caregiver funding. Good luck
Maria B

Post by Maria B »

Hello, my aunt who raised me when I was a child while my mom was going through school has had difficult couple of years. She married an amazing man who was a cook for Children's Hospital in Milwaukee before moving to another medical hospital prior to 2014. They have 2 beautiful young girls who are 4.0 students with one in elementary and another in junior high.
Around the end of 2015 my uncle had a major stroke that had him hospitalized for months but was able to leave the hospital but is now disabled and unable to work and barely walk. So we are being a caregiver for him. My aunt had to take care of the family so she had 2 jobs and had to move in with one of her sister because her pay wasn’t enough.
Last year my aunt suffered as well with both her kidneys failing so now she’s going though dialysis every other day while still working at Costco to provide for her young daughter and her sick husband. They are both Central American Citizens but have lived in the U.S over 10 years. They need a place to call home and some assistant. I'm doing this on their behalf because it hurts me seeing them struggle.
Please any information for help and assistant of any kind will go a long way to being a caregiver. She asked me to look for apartment so when they file tax we can start the process but I’m just not sure how much they will get and how long they will be able to afford the place.
Thank you and again and any contact will help.
Puff

Post by Puff »

I was sole primary caregiver to my elderly mother for 10 years and she recently passed away. I had to quit working to care for her and had to vacate the rental home we shared together. I am looking for another place to live and trying to secure full time employment and need financial assistance to get back on my feet. Thank you for any help you can provide. God bless.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

State agencies in Illinois can help senior citizens. Try the agency on aging. they may give you respite, or provide food, medical equipment, and other support. But good for you in caring for the sick uncle.
Maria B wrote:HAround the end of 2015 my uncle had a major stroke that had him hospitalized for months but was able to leave the hospital but is now disabled and unable to work and barely walk. So we are being a caregiver for him. My aunt had to take care of the family so she had 2 jobs and had to move in with one of her sister because her pay wasn’t enough.