Information on social services and assistance from Love Inc.
A national, faith based charity organization is Love Inc. The local centers, many of which are operated by a network of churches, work to assist income qualified families regardless of religion, race or background. While the programs vary by state and county, the charity will try to address needs for basic goods, such as food, clothing, shelter, and employment. Some centers may have information on financial assistance (for rent or utilities) that are available in their community. Most of the aid is available in the form of referrals to other resources such as churches.
The specifics of each location vary. In general, the Love near you will organize local churches, faith based groups and non-profits to coordinate assistance programs for the local community. They will set up an intake line or Clearinghouse, in which individuals will need to apply at for help. When someone calls that Clearinghouse number they will be given referrals to resources for their community. Any assistance available will be for those families or individuals that are out of options and have explored all other resources in the region.
Also, the person seeking help needs to be faced with an unexpected crisis that was not caused by them. So they can't be struggling and seeking help due to poor management of their own personal finances or lack of motivation to seek employment.
Many of the local Love Inc. affiliated groups rely on volunteers and donations from the community in order to keep running. So all resources will be very limited, and can even change throughout the course of the year. The Clearinghouse in your county connects people in need with those resources. Some examples of basic need programs are below. The aid is generally part of their Gap Ministry service.
- Food pantries may have free groceries, baby formula, or holiday meals. There can also be hot meal delivery to qualified, homebound clients who lack transportation.
- Help with applying for government benefits (such as food stamps) or the completion of legal or medical forms.
- Home repairs, such as disabled ramp construction, minor plumbing, or safety bars.
- Thrift stores are at many Love INC sites for the general public to use.
- Seasonal programs, such as free school supplies, Christmas gifts for children, or computer donation programs. Examples may be Clothe-A-Kid or Adopt a Family.
- Volunteers from Love may help seniors with housecleaning, Yard work, shopping, or home visits.
- The disabled may receive help with tasks around the house or transportation.
- New, low income parents or moms can get diapers, formula, and more from a Love Inc ministry, provided donations allow it. Or information may be given on other sources of free diapers.
The application process will usually involve a volunteer at Love Inc. reviewing and verifying the applicant's request. Much of this is done by volunteers of the churches. They will need proof of hardship, income, and other support. If the application is reasonable and can be met, then solutions will be explored. If the need can be fulfilled by government benefits or other non-profits, then in some cases the Love Inc. Clearinghouse volunteers will work with the client to begin that process.
Social workers will also review the financial assistance programs offered by local churches, charities, or even government agencies. The individual will be referred to one or more of these locations. What may be provided ranges from basic needs, such as those noted above, to very limited financial support.
- Housing needs, such as a partial rent payment to prevent an eviction.
- Some locations may help with car repairs, if the vehicle is needed for work or a job interview. This type of assistance is very rare though.
- Vouchers or emergency funds for discounted medications in live saving conditions.
- The requests for approved financial help from the community will referred by Love to churches. They need to be specific, manageable by the resources in place, and verifiable as well.
In almost all cases, someone seeking help from Love will need to participate in some form of self-sufficiency or life skills training. Many affiliates often refer to this as the Transformational Ministry. This will be workshops in employments skills, finances, nutrition, parenting or job training. The faith based charity will also help the unemployed get to training or an interview, and this can be met by given a bus pass or arranging for a car repair program.
The intent of this process is to solve the deeper issues contributing to the circumstances, as Love Inc. will not allow applicants to seek help if they will not be self-sufficiency in a pre-determined time frame. This mean that if an applicant has an income under poverty levels, they need to take the steps to break the cycle.
Follow up is available as well. Volunteers or case managers from the local Love Inc. office review the outcome after the family has been given help. They will decide if the need was met by the local church or charity. So this will also help ensure that the individual gets the assistance they need. A main goal of the ministries is to help families stretch their budget or maybe find a better job. This will in effect free up their resources so they can pay their rent, medical bills, utilities, or other expenses.
Locations of Local Love Inc. based affiliates
The specific resources and services offered by each location near you will vary. It would even be rare for two different sites to offer the same types of assistance. The primary locations by state are below. If there is not a site in your region, call a nearby Love Inc. charity for referrals. Each will generally work with dozens of local churches in an effort to help the working poor or low income that are facing a temporary crisis.
- Love INC of Tuscaloosa County, Northport, AL. For information on services or to get referrals, dial 205 614 2849. Find more information on the assistance offered, such as free school supplies or home repairs for seniors. Read more Tuscaloosa County.
- Love In the Name of Christ of the Tanana Valley, Fairbanks, AK, towns in the Fairbanks, North Star, and Borough region. Call (907) 452-3876. Continue with more information on Fairbanks Love assistance programs.
- Love INC in Anchorage, Anchorage, AK, dial 907 522 5683
- Love INC Juneau, Juneau, AK, call 907 780 4090
- Love INC of Eagle River, Eagle River, AK
- Kenai Peninsula, Kenai, AK, 907 283 5683
- ESA/Love INC of Fresno, Clovis, and Easton, CA, 559 224 9599
- Love INC. of Greater Bakersfield, Bakersfield, CA. Supports Greater Bakersfield and some small outlining areas. 661 325 8838. Transportation, free school supplies and Christmas toys, and more is offered. A focus of the Clearinghouse is also on providing referrals to emergency financial aid and government benefits. More on Love of Bakersfield.
- Greater Merced, Merced, CA, 209 383 7034
- Manteca, Manteca, CA, 209 825 9131
- Love INC of Northeast San Gabriel Valley, Covina, CA, 626 858 3300
- Love INC of Sacramento, Sacramento, CA. The center supports low income families in northern California. Various churches offer food and other aid. 916 383 3232. More on Sacramento Love programs.
- Love INC of Santa Clara County, Campbell, California, telephone - 408 723 9223. Dozens of churches participate to provide car repairs, baby formula and diapers, food, and other aid. Find help from Love in Santa Clara.
- Love Inc of South Bay, San Pedro, CA, 310 831 5683. This location helps low income families in the San Pedro and nearby areas of Los Angeles County. Click here San Pedro.
- Tulare County, Tulare, CA, telephone 559 688 8870. For information on their programs, including a thrift store and more, continue reading Tulare County.
- Madera and Chowchilla Love INC, Madera, CA, dial 559 674 4580
- Love INC of Littleton, Littleton, CO, 303 794 5683. Covers SW Metro Denver (Littleton) South of Highway 285 and West of University
- Love INC of the Yampa Valley, Craig, CO, 970 826 4400. Free car maintenance and basic repairs can be coordinated. They also have school supplies, work clothing, food, and even laundry services for the homeless. More on Yampa Colorado Love Inc. resources.
- Love INC of Mid-Delmarva, Seaford, DE. Counties and towns include Seaford, Laurel, Bridgeville and surrounding areas. 302 629 7050
- New Castle County, Bear, DE. The church phone number is 302 221 5683
- Brevard, Melbourne, FL. Continue church assistance programs in Brevard County.
- Love Inc of South Lee and North Collier Communities, Bonita Springs, FL. Supports San Carlos Park, Estero, Bonita Springs, and North Naples. Phone 239 405 8595.
- Suwannee County, Live Oak, FL, 386 364 4673
- Love INC of the Heart of Florida, Summerfield, FL. The church ministry is at 352-245-8774. Read more on Love Inc. Heart of Florida.
- Love In the Name of Christ of Greater Sheldon, Sheldon, IA, O'Brien/Osceola Counties, 712 324 9707
Mahaska County, Oskaloosa, IA, 641 672 3750
- Love INC of Sioux County, Rock Valley, IA, 712 476 5990
- Love INC of the Cedar Valley. This location serves Waterloo, Cedar Falls, and Evansdale. Cedar Falls, IA, 319 266 1264
- Love INC of Bonner County, Sandpoint, ID, 208 263 6720
- Love INC of the Boise Community, Boise, ID, main phone number is 208 377 3502
- Treasure Valley, Nampa, ID, 208 466 7810
- Washington County Idaho and Annex Oregon, Weiser, ID. For referrals to food, clothing, and other needs, dial 208 414 5683.
- Lake County Northeast, Zion, IL. Dial 847 731 0526
- Love INC Lake County Southwest, Wauconda, IL, SW Quadrant of Lake County, IL. Cities/towns: Barrington, Barrington Hills, Lake Barrington, North Barrington, Port Barrington, South Barrington, Deer Park, Forest Lake, Grayslake, Hawthorn Woods, Island Lake, Kildeer, Lake Zurich, Long Grove, Mundelein, 847 469 8835
- Love INC of Dekalb/Sycamore, DeKalb, IL, dial 815 217 0082. For details on assistance available, read more Love DeKalb County.
- Fulton County, Canton, IL, 309 647 0037
- Love INC of Greater Rockford, Rockford, IL. Serves Winnebago and Boone. Phone 815 282 4384
Tinley Park, Tinley Park, IL, phone 708 444 2013
- Love INC of Vermilion County, Danville, IL
- Love INC of West Erie County, Girard, PA, main phone 814 774 5688. West Erie County including the cities of Fairview, Girard, Lake City, Albion, Platea, East, Cranesville, West and North Springfield.
- Love INC of Western Suburbs/Chicago, Westmont, IL. Towns and cities assisted are Addison, Bensenville, Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Darien, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, Itasca, Lisle, Lombard, Oak Brook, Oak Brook Terrace, Villa Park, Westmont, Willowbrook, Wood Dale and Woodridge. Phone 630 512 8665. This location may be able to help with car repairs, has very limited financial aid for rent, and Christmas toys for children, among other programs. Read more LOVE assistance Dupage County.
- Boone County, Lebanon, IN, 765-482-6152
- Love INC of Adams County, Decatur, IN, phone 260-728-4503
- Love INC of Greater Hammond, Griffith, IN. Counties include Hammond, Munster, Highland, and Griffith. Call 219 923 2775. The churches have everything from items for new babies to refurnished computers and home repair services. Click more Love Hammond Lake.
- Greater Hancock County, Greenfield, IN, dial 317 468 6300
- Love INC of Huntington County, Huntington, IN, 260 356 0933
- Starke County, North Judson, IN, 574 896 0055
- O'Brien and Osceola County - Churches offer several ministry services in the region. The Love Clearinghouse of Sheldon can refer low income residents to food, free furniture, baby supplies and more. They also may have linkage to emergency financial assistance. Read more on Greater Sheldon..
- Ottawa County, Minneapolis, KS
- Love INC of Wichita, Wichita, KS, 316-265-0500
- Love INC of Lafayette Parish, Lafayette, LA. Low income families can call 337 981 6775.
- Christian Services/Love INC of Greater Lansing, MI, 517 394 5411. The Ministries include a Christmas shop for toys for children, food pantry, possible car repairs, and other basic needs. More on Love of Ingham and Eaton.
- Good Samaritan Ministries, Holland, MI
- Love INC of Allendale, Allendale, MI, Northeast Ottawa County, 616 895 5683. The churches cover Ottawa County. Free food, diapers, referrals to shelter and more is available. More details on Ottawa County.
- Clare County, Farwell, MI. For intake, dial 989 588 8990
- Love INC of Genesee County Churches, Flint, MI. Various services and referrals are available. More on Flint County Love programs.
- Love INC of Grand Traverse County, Traverse City, MI, call 231 941 5683. Dozens of ministries and churches make up this Love location. The centers have hot meals, volunteers do home repairs for the elderly, provide rides to a doctor, labor for car repairs, and more. Continue Traverse City LOVE.
- Love INC of Greater Lapeer, Lapeer, MI, 810 245 2414
- Hudsonville, Jenison, Grandville, Hudsonville, MI, 616 662 3300
- Isabella County, Mount Pleasant, MI, 989 772 2467
- Jackson County, Jackson, MI, telephone 517-782-9766
- Love INC of Kalamazoo County, Kalamazoo, MI. Call 269 353 6798 for referrals to social services and emergency aid.
- Love INC of Manistee and Benzie counties, Manistee, MI, 231 723 6613
- Love INC of Muskegon County, Muskegon, MI
- Love Inc of Newaygo County, Grant, MI, 231 652 4099
- North Oakland County, Lake Orion, MI, 248 693 4357
- Love INC of Northwest Allegan County, Hamilton, MI. Churches that part of this charity are in the Allegan, Hamilton and Pullman areas. 269 751 2533
- Oceana County, Shelby, MI, 231 861 4880
- Love INC of the Copper Country and Houghton County, Houghton, MI, 906 523 5407
- Greater Livingston Area, Howell, MI. Read more on the Love Inc. Clearinghouse and services offered by the churches. Click Love of Livingston County.
- Northwest Ottawa County and the Tri-Cities, Spring Lake, MI, 616 846 2701
- Love INC of Wexford and Osceola County, Cadillac, MI, (231) 779-1888
- Love In the Name of Christ - Big Woods, Buffalo, MN. Covers Buffalo, Hanover, Maple Lake, and Annandale County. This Love center may even help with transportation and the Lullaby ministry has free baby supplies for single moms. Continue with help from Big Woods Love.
- Love INC - Heartland, Delano, MN The location supports Corcoran, Delano, Watertown, Waverly, Maple Plain, Independence, Loretto, Greenfield, Rockford, Mayer, Howard Lake & Waverly. 763 972 6547
- Love INC - New Hope, Brooklyn Center, MN. 763 561 1410. Assistance is for Crystal, New Hope, Robbinsdale, Golden Valley and surrounding communities (parts of Brooklyn Center, Brookyn Park, North Mpls.
- Love INC of Douglas County Lakes Area, Alexandria, MN. The faith based organization provides assistance in Douglas County/Alexandria, Osakis, Brandon, Kensington, Evansville, Carlos, Miltona, and Garfield. 320 759 3022. Read more on Lake County LOVE assistance programs.
- Eastern Carver County, Chaska, MN, 952 448 3261. Find more details on LOVE in Carver County.
- Love INC of Worthington, Worthington, MN, telephone number for information is 507 727 7290
- Love INC of Clay County, Liberty, MO, dial 816 781 3200. Read more on free basic needs and financial help from Clay County LOVE.
- Columbia, Columbia, MO, dial 573 256 7662
- Love INC of Southeast Missouri and Cape Girardeau County, Cape Girardeau, MO, (573) 334-5055
Ozark Mountain Country Love INC, Branson, MO. Stone and Taney County in Southwest MO. Phone 417 336 7056. More on LOVE INC. in Southeast Missouri.
- Gallatin County Love INC, Bozeman, MT, 406 587 3008
- Love INC of Albuquerque. Both Bernalillo County and City of Albuquerquein NM are covered. 505 255 5683
- Luna County, Deming, NM, 575 544 2400
- Love INC of Otero County, Alamogordo, NM, 575 439 5683
- Love INC of Southern Chautauqua County, Jamestown, NY. The ministry can be reached at 716-338-9705.
- Springville, Springville, NY, 716 592 3761
- Greater Gowanda Area, Gowanda, NY, 716 532 3541
- Mid-Hudson Love INC, Poughkeepsie, NY. Residents of Poughkeepsie, City of Poughkeepsie, Wappingers, Hopewell Junction, LaGrange, Pleasant Valley, or Hyde Park can call this charity. 845 471 0102
- Mecklenburg County, Charlotte, NC. Telephone number of this branch of the charity is 704 536 5588. Call for information on free baby items, computers, home repairs and more. Continue with Love of Charlotte programs.
- Love INC of North Raleigh, Raleigh, NC, 919 780 4211
- Love INC of Cuyahoga County, Brooklyn Hts, OH, telephone number is 216 459 0405
- Love INC of Greater Akron, Akron, OH. Residents of Summit County should dial 330 762 1200. Everything from diapers to furniture or grants for electric bills are offered. Click here assistance from Summit County LOVE.
- Love INC of Greater Mansfield, Mansfield, OH, dial (419) 522-1432
- Hardin County, Kenton, OH, 419-674-4651
- Love INC of Harrison, Harrison, OH. Provides help to all Southwest Local School District. There is also support for All Harrison, Ohio area; Limited service for West Harrison and also Dearborn County, Indiana. Phone 513 367 7746.
- Love INC of Lorain County, Elyria, OH
- Love INC of Marion County, Marion, OH, call 740 382 3340
- Medina County, Brunswick, OH, 330 460 5887
- Love INC of Ross County, Chillicothe, OH, Phone - 740-773-0525
- Love INC of Greater Cushing, Cushing, OK, Cushing, Ripley, Yale, Agra, Mehan. Call the center at 918 225 1125. The hotline supports the disadvantaged in most of the state.
- Love In the Name of Christ of Clackamas County, Oregon City, OR, 503 650 0153
- Love INC of Benton County Oregon, Corvallis, OR, 541 757 8111. Click more details Benton County LOVE.
- Greater Beaverton, Aloha, OR, 503 336 5946
- Love INC of Greater Hillsboro, Hillsboro, OR, 503 648 0700
- Linn County, North Albany and Jefferson, Albany, OR, 541 924 5683
- Love INC of the Newberg Area, Newberg, OR. Covers Newberg, Dundee, Lafayette, Yamhill, Carloton, Dayton, St. Paul, and Sherwood. For information on local churches, dial 503 537 3999. The cahrity may have clothing, coordinate shelter, and offer free items to low income families. Read more Love Yamhill and Washington County.
- Love INC of the Woodburn Area, Woodburn, OR. The organization assists Brooks, Gervais, Woodburn, Hubbard, Aurora, Scottsmills, Donald, Parts of Mt. Angel.
- Love INC of Tigard, Tualatin, and Sherwood, Tigard, OR, call (503) 443-6888
- Tri-County Love INC, Ontario, OR, Malheur and Payette County. Call 541 889 7860.
- Golden Rule Love INC, Milton, PA. Serves Northumberland, Union and Snyder Counties. 570 742 3561
- Hopewell Love In the Name of Christ, Douglassville, PA
- Love INC of Bedford County, Everett, PA. Phone - 814 652 0020.
- Crawford County, Meadville, PA, 814-724-1417
- Love INC of Greater Hershey, Hershey, PA. Provides resources in Hershey and Hummlestown communities as well as Dauphin County part of Elizabethtown community. Telephone 717 835 0101
- Love INC of Lancaster County, Lancaster, PA, 717 735 7540
- Brokenstraw Valley, Youngsville, PA, 814-563-3394
- Love INC of Titusville, Titusville, PA, 814 827 4882
- Union City, Spartansburg and Corry, Corry, PA, main phone 814 664 7287
- Love In the Name of Christ of Greater Canton, Canton, SD, 605 764 0453
- Love INC of the Greater Rapid City Area and Black Hills, Rapid City, SD, 605 718 5683
- Love INC Nacogdoches - Nacogdoches, TX. Covers Nacogdoches County -cities include: Nacogdoches, Douglass, Central Heights, Martinsville, Cushing, Woden, Chireno, Appleby, Alazan, Melrose, Shady Grove, Lake Nacogdoches, Linn Flat, Lilbert, Kingtown, Loco Valley, Looneyville, and Swift. Call 936 569 8555.
- Love INC of Angelina County, Lufkin, TX, telephone number is 936 637 6637
- Love INC of Baytown, Baytown, Highlands and Mt. Belvieu TX, 281 422 5683
- Love INC of Charlottesville/Albemarle, Charlottesville, VA. The churches also support Charlottesville/Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, Orange, and Nelson. Call 434 977 7777
- Staunton, Waynesboro, Augusta, Fishersville, VA, 540 221 2955
- Bellingham/Whatcom County, Bellingham, WA, main phone number for referrals is 360 671 6201
- Love INC of Cowlitz County, Longview, WA. The center serves Longview/Kelso. 360 232 8576
- Love In the Name of Christ of Lewis County, Chehalis, WA, 360 748 8611
- Love In the Name of Christ of Yakima, Yakima, WA, dial 509-453-2942
- Mason County, Shelton, WA, 360 462 5683
- Pierce County, Puyallup, W. For information on food, clothing, and more, call 253 531 2366.
- Love INC of Skagit County, Mount Vernon, WA, (360) 419-7061
- Racine County - Examples of programs include free basic car repairs and financial aid for bills or rent in partnership with local churches and charities. There is also free Christmas gifts and meals as well as referrals. More on Love Inc of Racine County.
- Rock County, Janesville, WI, call 608 531 1880. Rock County/Janesville, Milton and Beloit.
Another way to learn about a local Clearing house from Love is to dial the United Way referral hotline, or use the search box on this site. The main corporate office is in Saint Paul MN. The phone number is (800) 777-5277. Love Inc is always adding new churches and locations to its network.