Charities near you.
There are many charities, including in your community, that help low-income families, the poor, the homeless, unemployed and others. Some of them may be near you. Find a state below, then from that next page, select a county to locate a charity near you. While resources are limited, and many rely on donations as well as volunteers, there may be assistance offered.
Charities near you may have some money to help pay bills. Many often provide free stuff for basic needs, and that can include clothes, food, vouchers for motels or motels, birthday or Christmas toys and similar goods. In addition, many offer counseling, case management, and in general provide “guidance” to struggling families or individuals.
Help provided by a charity near you
As noted, resources are limited. Charities near you often have limited hours, limited funding, and assistance is generally first come-served. It is more likely to get free items, counseling, or referrals than financial help. However, what may be offered is as follows.
- Free items including food, clothes, gasoline or motel vouchers, winter attire, holiday gifts, meals and more.
- Counseling, referrals to programs near you and in general guidance is offered by many charities.
- Emergency, limited financial assistance for critical needs; including utilities, rent, a medical need, car repairs and the like.
- Charities may give a ride to a destination near you, such as a sick, disabled, or homebound person that needs transportation to a doctor appointment or grocery store. Some locations may deliver food or hot meals.
- Many charities advocate for the poor, homeless, or jobless. They advocate for affordable housing, hunger prevention and basic needs.
- Charities near you may bring together the community; hold fund raisers, help students or children, care for the sick and provide similar services.
The point is that resources vary widely, both by state, city, county as well as time of the year. Many charities also have limited hours and/or require a formal application. It is not often to help people on a walk in basis. Find a state, or even a national charity organization near you, below.
Find a charity that is near you by state and county
Select a state below. Then, from the next page will be county specific locations. Or continue to scroll down the page for information on the major national charities as well as non-profits, such as the Salvation Army, Society of St. Vincent de Paul Conferences and others.
National Charities with local operations
The Salvation Army helps tens of millions of people per year with over 7,000 centers, one of which may be near you. They often have low cost thrift store or provide free groceries from pantries or meals from soup kitchens. A Salvation Army charity near you may offer drug or alcohol recovery help, operate transitional housing, or provide emergency assistance for rent, utilities or a mortgage to prevent a utility shut off or homelessness. Other support may be offered too. More on find a Salvation Army near where you live.
Catholic Charities provides assistance to around 10 million people per year. Food, clothes, housing, mental health counseling, free or low-cost legal aid and more is provided. The charity often help women facing domestic violence, immigrants, veterans and those in crisis. Both free stuff and financial assistance is provided. More on get help from Catholic Charities.
Society of Saint Vincent de Paul parishes also help people regardless of faith, religion, gender or background (as do all the charities above). The Catholic volunteer led organization also has thousands of local parishes and assists millions of people. Both free goods for a home or personal needs may be offered as well as food, clothes, and other services. Continue with SVDP emergency assistance for low income families.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com