Flooded section 8 HCV apartment

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Leann D
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Flooded section 8 HCV apartment

Post by Leann D »

I live in a flooded section 8 HCV housing in Nashville. My car and apartment were flooded.
That’s my car covered in water on the right.
If you look closely at the truck next to me on the left, and behind it near the tree trunk is a metal dumpster that floated from the back parking lot.
I had muddy water and silt in my cup holders and twigs and mud and weeds in my engine. As well as the trunk of the car. I’m unable to describe the smell. I was traumatized by the flood and I don’t think I am totally over it. Both my apartment and car ruined, as well as many other people in Nashville TN.
I had to move from my A- building, along with the occupants of the B-C and D buildings. They were boarded up that morning March 28, 2021, by FEMA and Metro Codes as uninhabitable. All of us lost our vehicles. And many people were displaced to the point of leaving their apartments and moving back to other locations. Some young people moved back with parents.
I stayed with friends from Sunday March 28 2021 Until I moved to the new apartment in July 5th 2021. I definitely wore out my welcome during that stay. Things STILL have not returned to how they were Pre-Flood.
I am on MDHA Section 8 and was reluctantly moved to a different apartment in another building in Nashville.
FEMA paid for my packing bill and moving expenses to that different apartment. It was a combined bill of about $5,500.00. Catholic Charities also helped cover some expenses that FEMA did not, in 2021.
I recently signed a Rent renewal for the 22-23 year with Volunteer Properties at CityVUE@5101. During that visit to the office, my apartment manager broke the news to me that Volunteer Property is phasing out MDHA Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV).
I will have to locate and apartment and downsize and repack the boxes (some still full and taped up from the July 2021 move; I have been very depressed) and move AGAIN ‼️‼️
Obviously, I had to buy a new car. Because of my excellent FICA score of 817, I was able to get a new car (12 miles at test drive) and have reasonable monthly payments of $159.00. My other older model KIA Optima was paid for and the combined car and apartment insurance hovered around
$50.00 a month. I’m also an excellent driver. Since having the new KIA RIO Sport, my State Farm insurance bill has increased from about $50.00 a month (car and apartment liability) to about $112.00.
Here’s the thing.
I’m going to have to pay for this next move as soon as I can FIND A PLACE TO MOVE TO‼️‼️
All over Nashville apartment complexes are PHASING OUT HCV’s. My apartment parking lot is full of license plates from out of state persons who have flocked to the new Mecca Nashville to live.
Here I am, local Nashvillian, born here and raised here. Giving Volunteer Property over 10 years of guaranteed rent from the government. While next to me and downstairs and the other side of me are EMPTY APARTMENTS.
There are empty, rentable apartments around the complex that are empty. The first floor of the four flooded buildings only have a skeleton base. 2 x 8’s holding up the second and third floors. There doesn’t seem to be a rush to spend money on finishing out the first floors any time soon.
They are in a Flood Zone.
Remember 2010. That’s about 32 apartments at $1,000.00 a month loss for CityVUE.
But, let’s kick out all the HCV guaranteed checks‼️ The logic is lost on me.
In the meantime, 10’s of thousands of disabled people, poor (fixed SSD incomes; ME) and handicapped persons (ME) are scrambling to find another place to live.
Think about the thousands of apartment complexes (just like this one) and each one previously housed maybe 8-12 HCV people. Single mom with a child or an elderly person or some one with a disability, all of us, now displaced by greed.
MDHA had to go up on the amount needed to cover some of the new outrageous rent prices.
While that is helpful, it does very little to solve the true housing problems, needed all across Nashville, thousands of apartments are needed.
Each month I paid my rent in full, on time. And MDHA supplemented the balance to full market value. I have been working on finding financial assistance from someone somewhere to aid me in my moving. I will have to put it on my credit card and pay on it for at least two years without any help.
My question is, can you help me with my car payment and my State Farm bill for me to free up some money to pay against the moving expenses I will incur in the next 4-5 months ?
Or maybe find some strong people and rent a truck and go that route?
Or a combo of whatever you want to do to help pay off my very unexpected unwarranted expenses.
And I still have Catholic Charities I can solicit OR maybe you work together with them to help me pay this off in a lump sum.
I am already getting Food Stamps. United Health Care is upping the Healthy Food and OTC items through a new program being soon.
I also get an annual allotment from Metro Action Commission, to supplement my NES bills. I didn’t get a FICA score of 812 by skipping out on paying bills or overdrafts or delinquent payments.
I need to keep that score. I’m open to whatever works best for you and your guide lines for help me. hopefully I can manage this chapter of my life without a lot of drama.
It’s been an absolute nightmare to say the least, navigating through these issues by myself, on $814.00 a month. I have paperwork for all this.
Case managers just give me a list and I have been the one making the calls and getting turned down over and over. Also, feeling re-traumatized each time I have to tell this story.
My last hope is a place nearby called Whispering Oaks on Harding Place.
I still have not been okayed to fill out an application. I have my $35.00 application fee as a money order for them.
There are a few one bed MDHA approved apartments that will open up over the next few months. And I don’t know how many other people will be applying for them.
I can only HOPE that my credentials will carry me over the line. I’m hoping that this will be a one time expense ($35.00)
Right now, I’m just needing some help for moving. And a place secured FOR ME, before June ‘23.
Otherwise I am not sure what happens next. If you have anything in that department that could help, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ‼️
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks again for your time.
With all sincerity
Earningsp
anti spam: Blue

Re: Flooded section 8 HCV apartment

Post by Earningsp »

Hi, My name is Pamela. Me and my husband with 2 children are facing getting are electric cut off tomorrow morning. We don't have a lot of food. We're just making it by with the flood happening in our housing choice voucher home and covid we both lost are jobs. It's been so hard. All I can ask is for your help I saw your email online. And I'm just hoping that someone will help us. Please. We are willing to work to pay it back. If there is anything you can do. We live in Waverly TN. Thank you for just taking your time out to read this.
Lance13

Re: Flooded section 8 HCV apartment

Post by Lance13 »

I am a volunteer worker for Heart of Hope Asian American Hospice Care in California. We have a client who needs help in Miami-Dade County, Florida due to a flooded section 8 apartment. Mrs. Lam is 88 years and living alone in a townhouse. She only spoke Mandarin and Cantonese with limited English.
One of previous hurricanes damaged her door and windows as well as flooded her home. She could not close them now, so any rain would flood her home from those damaged windows and door.
After paying essential items such as utilities and medicines, only about $180 left monthly for food, she has no money to fix the door and windows.
Hope your organization could get free resources for Mrs. Lam.
Please email or call me if you have questions.
Thank you very much.