Mini-van needed for Welfare to Work program

State and local government assistance programs.
Irene
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Mini-van needed for Welfare to Work program

Post by Irene »

Dear "Need Help Paying Bills" and Jon McNamara and Team,
I need ideas on how to get a mini-van to accommodate 4 car seats for my 21-yr old stepdaughter. She needs the van for the Welfare to Work program and her kids. She has been homeless for 8 months while taking care of her two toddlers (ages 2 and almost 4). She was also pregnant with twin girls - a high-risk pregnancy. The twins were born at Santa Rosa (CA) Memorial Hospital on June 30th. They are now two+ months old. She is working very hard to pull her life together. She has filed for child support, was just awarded a section 8 housing voucher from the Marin County Housing Authority, and is about to move into a house. She has been "couch-surfing" with relatives. I live in senior housing (am 73) and there are restrictions to how long I can have people, even family, stay with me. She new receives CalWorks (cash aid - currently about $878 a month and food stamps) and is enrolled in a Welfare to Work program. When the twins are old enough she will be able to participate in this program.
I have made the following efforts toward getting her a mini-van:
• applied twice to freecharitycars.org - never received any response - (https://freecharitycars.org/)
• applied twice to the Crozat Family Foundation - a local family foundation connected to C&G Auto Body company (http://crozatfamilyfoundation.org/). Their sole purpose is to donate vehicles. I will try one more time to get a mini-van stressing it is for Welfare to Work program.
• wrote to and asked Oprah Winfrey, Ellen Degeneres, Tyler Perry - no responses.
• applied to K-Tech Automotive (https://www.ktechautomotive.com/car-giveaway) in Sebastopol, CA - a local automotive repair shop - they give away vehicles periodically, at least once a year and provide a smog test, pay for the initial registration, pay a year's insurance, cover any needed repairs for a year, and provide all maintenance for a year. They accepted my stepdaughter as a recipient but did not have a mini-van. They had two Ford SUVs but they only safely accommodate 3 car seats. She absolutely must have a vehicle that can fit 4 car seats. After researching if we could install another seat somehow in the SUV we had to turn down this gift. K-Tech indicated that if they got a minivan they would let us know.
• Perhaps you know someone or some organization that would donate a mini-van to K-Tech Automotive to help my stepdaughter so she can get off welfare and go to work.
• I also started to contact local auto dealerships since they will sometimes donate to "hardship cases." No luck.
The house she will be moving into is in Fairfax, CA. It is far up a long steep hill - much too far to walk to town, stores, doctor appointments, daycare, etc. She can get food delivered until she gets a vehicle but she really needs a safe mechanically sound mini-van that will allow for 4-car seats for 4 children!
Might you kindly advise me on what to do or where next to go?
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Mini-van needed for Welfare to Work program

Post by Admin »

While of course any "min-van" or car program is rare, there are resources. You indicated some of them, such as charity cars, but there are many others (depending on where you live). We assume a van is rare too, but if your daughter really needs it for a welfare for work program, we are sure there are places to try for free car giveaway programs.