Find how to get help with rent
Smoother
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Is section 8 housing available for service dogs

Post by Smoother »

Hello,
My name is Mary (59 years old) and I am writing with a desperate request for your prayers and help as I am blind with a variety of health issues (cognitive, balance, diabetic... previous heart attack and more) and both myself and my sweet black lab seeing eye dog Judge, will be homeless as of October 30, 2022, just a little over 6 weeks away. We need section 8 housing that allows service dogs.
This is due to my current section 8 apartment property management company refusing to renew my lease after having filed a disability discrimination and harassment complaint with HUD for not allowing reasonable accommodations to accommodate my disabilities and service dogs. Due to the pandemic and HUD's backed up workload and short staff, etc., it took them about 5-6 months to respond and accepting my case, unfortunately it was too late to keep me in my home.
I have no where to go due to several factors such as the current housing crisis, I live month to month on a meager disability income with section 8 housing, the classified rentals do not accept housing vouchers and therefore are unaffordable for me, private homes can turn down renting to someone with a service dog and the idea of a blind woman renting from them seems to scare them off - thinking perhaps I would be burdensome. And if I were to get through all these barriers, most all require a one year lease when I only need to find temporary housing for 3 months until a new complex I hope to get into with my section 8 vouchers will be finished and ready on January 1, 2023.
I have contacted charitable organizations such as the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities and government offices, local politicians (a BIG eyeball and LOL enjoy here as I'm in MN where our Governor allows our police stations to be burned to the ground), churches, friends, local Facebook communities, police, and even a local retreat center and I've had no luck. I just want someone to direct me to available section 8 that takes service dogs. Most agencies government and charitable both kept referring me to the same ones referring me to them and I have been going in circles ever since.
I am still hopeful to possibly stay in a local extended stay hotel for 3 months if I can find a charitable organization to help offset the costs in time (a months stay is approximately around $2000), but so far, no return phone calls or available funds. I can afford $500/month as that is what I am currently paying through my section 8 voucher program.
Attached is a picture of me and my two service dogs - the yellow lab "Louise" who was retired as a seeing eye dog, but continued to work as a comfort animal. I recently had to say goodbye to my sweet servant as she was old and in poor health. And my current seeing eye dog Judge.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Is section 8 housing available for service dogs

Post by Admin »

Since you have serve dogs, and need immediate housing for you, your disability, and dogs, that may qualify you for a fast, no wait-housing program.]'
There are options out there, by state, county, etc. Look here for low income housing near you.