I was a caregiver to disabled husband but now I am disabled too

State and local government assistance programs.
Benjamin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

I was a caregiver to disabled husband but now I am disabled too

Post by Benjamin »

To whom it may concern:
My name is Doreen. I am 67 years old, disabled, in a crisis situation and in dire need of some emergency assistance. I was the caregiver, but now I am too disabled. I have reached out to numerous other Social Services Agencies for emergency assistance but they tell me I must actually be evicted or homeless, before they can help me.
I currently live in Maple Shade, NJ (for 3 years now). I have been living with a steel cage in my back, where I broke it in 3 places, 5 years ago, forcing me to retire at 62 years old and be put on a fixed income, and I am currently facing back surgery again, due to a recent fall, fracturing my pelvis and loosening the screws in the steel rod in my back as well.
As a result of my disability and impending back surgery, I became unable to continue to be Caregiver to my husband of 25 years (he had a Stroke 3 years ago), and with whom I have been sharing expenses. Because I was forced to put him in a long term facility/nursing home, the facility has taken his income away, leaving me only my SS Income of $1487/month. From which I must pay Food, Electric, Phone, car payment, Auto Ins, (which I am desperately trying to keep in the hopes of returning to work part time, once I recover from my back surgery) leaving me very little for the June's $1134 rent. I have never been late with the rent but am now in distress, because they have served me with an Eviction proceeding notice and are demanding $1,789.00, which I just don't have.
I am praying that my fractured pelvis and impending back surgery can be healed and recovered by July, when my lease runs out and then they will raise the rent to $1184; but it is unlikely.
I am seeking Emergency Temporary Rental Assistance, and am also in need of low affordable housing as soon as possible. I am overwhelmed.
In closing, because of my physical condition, and being unable to care for my loved one, who has been institutionalized; it has been a painful and difficult emotional process. However now, I am also faced with a drastic and sudden loss of income and can no longer afford to live here or be a caregiver to my disabled husband without some sort of Emergency Assistance, until I can recover and get back on my feet. Please can someone there help me? Desperately await your response. Thank you.
Cykas

Re: I was a caregiver to disabled husband but now I am disabled too

Post by Cykas »

I am writing to request financial assistance for my family from your organization. As a result of unexpected and significant down falls this past year and being very sick with Covid bedridden for almost a month, I have a 14 year old son and my Husband is permanently disabled with spine disease and I am his caregiver. We are experiencing extreme challenges in our monthly budgeting for basic living expenses, and I am facing disability too along with my husband. Right now currently We are 2 months behind on our rent and car payment, And a $550 electric heat utility bill, Let alone other bills. I currently get Ebt food assistance, and I've had Cera in the past, I reapplied in oct with no response.
Until recently we were able to keep up with the money I got as a caregiver. I've kept in contact with my landlord with a response of we will work with you since you have your pending application. The same day they filed a 7 day eviction notice which I received in the mail yesterday! We are devastated. We've been trying to relocate due to the fact that this building in full of mold and not taken care of, Which my son is allergic to. I'm reaching out to any organizations in hopes of some help for my disabled husband and I. So if you could help us with whatever you can provide, we would be most appreciative. We would use any help that we receive for housing, utility expenses and car loan.
Thank you so much for taking the time to consider this request. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The government, both state and federal, do have benefit programs' and financial help for caregivers. There is food, respite, money for bills and so much more. You can even get a salary from the government too if you file to be a caregiver. More on government care giver benefit programs.
Mary Smith

Post by Mary Smith »

I'm really not sure who to direct this request to, so I hope you will forgive me.
I am looking for help, to be blunt. For 12 years I was my husband's full time caregiver. He was in kidney failure and disabled - along with a multitude of other health problems. For the last 3 years of his life we had a hemodialysis machine in our living room, and I had to get certified to be his dialysis tech. I did, and for those last 3 years I ran his dialysis treatments 5 days a week.
Unfortunately, my husband of 35 years died from myocarditis, an infection in his heart that became septic and caused 5 strokes. This left my youngest daughter and myself with no income as my disable husband has passed away, so I am no longer a caregiver. I found out after his death that the life insurance policy and insurance rider on his car loan had been cashed in and cancelled. The financial protection I thought my child and I had didn't exist. I had to return the car to the bank, because with no income, a 12 year work gap, and my own mounting medical concerns, I can't work. I am 57 years old, and I am about to be homeless.
In order for us to keep a roof over our heads, my adult daughter moved back to FL from GA, and has been paying the rent and some of the bills here. I have multiple medical issues, and have applied for SSA Disability. It's been 14 months waiting for a determination from SSDI, they say it's because Florida is backlogged. Meanwhile, the landlord here decided to raise the rent by $400 a month. My daughter can;t sustain that and all her own bills, so I have less than 6 months to find a solution.
About me: I have been diagnosed by UF Health Orthopedics with Pars fractures and Spondylolithesis in my spine, and osteoarthritis has set in, Central Florida Rheumatology diagnosed me with Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease, and Fibromyalgia after extensive blood work and a laundry list of symptoms. SAAFE Behavioral Services (psychiatrist) diagnosed me with PTSD, MDD, and anxiety disorder. I am waiting for the results of an EEG and MRI brain Scan with Florida Neurology, and I was diagnosed with Essential Tremors and will also file for disability and need a caregiver too.
I was offered a 40 year old camper, and used funds from a GoFundMe campaign to pay for moving it, tires to move it, and materials to stop the roof from leaking. Once I got it home, and started removing all the trash that was stored in it, we found that it had rotted from water damage pretty much throughout the entire camper. I don't have money to buy a livable camper for me, my daughter & my pets, so this is going to have to be successful somehow.
However, without income and physical assistance for my disability or an income from a caregiver job or income from a husband, I can't rebuild this camper into a tiny home.I am hoping you might be able to direct me to any organization of people who can help me fix this camper so I don't become homeless.
I am attaching photos. If you can help me with any information or organizations who might be able to help me, I would be very grateful!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi,
There may be some grants or low cost loans to fix a home-camper. While we are not sure if they will fix a camper, you can try. As the disabled have more options, and look here for disability grants for individuals.
Mary Smith wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:03 pm However, without income and physical assistance for my disability or an income from a caregiver job or income from a husband, I can't rebuild this camper into a tiny home.I am hoping you might be able to direct me to any organization of people who can help me fix this camper so I don't become homeless.
I am attaching photos. If you can help me with any information or organizations who might be able to help me, I would be very grateful!