Amputation of arm lost work

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Ebonee
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Amputation of arm lost work

Post by Ebonee »

Good evening
My name is Joshua, I am have major medical issues with my arm amputated. I moved to Jensen Beach with my family in 2020. My address is Jensen Beach Florida 34957. I have been employed as a 4th grade teacher in St. Lucie county from the time in which we relocated to Florida until November if 2021.
My family is experiencing extreme hardship.
I was in a near fatal motorcycle crash on in 2020 in which I attempted to miss a neighborhood kitten 4 houses away from my home. The crash resulted in 42 broken ribs, (on my left side), a collapsed left lung, shattered clavicle and scapula a traumatic brachial plexus injury. The doctors at Longwood Trauma Center saved my life by convincing me to undergo an experimental research study call "rib platting" in which they replaced my entire left rib cage and collar bone with surgical titanium.
Nonetheless, the lengthy time in the hospital resulted in both my wife and I losing our teaching jobs.
I was later informed that the brachial plexus injury causing paralysis to my left side was too severe to repair function to my left arm. In March of 2021 my left arm was amputated mid bicep.
I hired a lawyer to apply for disability in January of 2021. The disability process is now in the third phase, (hearing phase), but not yet complete as we are waiting on a hearing date to be set by Social Security.
Since the amputation my wife has filed for divorce and relocated to Maryland. I have been unable to secure employment due to my inability to perform my duties as I could have prior to my accident. My sister set up a go-fund me account at the time of the accident that raised almost 12k in donations. Unfortunately, my wife was the beneficiary and withdrew all of the funds as well as over 8k in private donations. She paid off her personal debt and filed for divorce a week after I was discharged from the hospital.
I am going through a very ugly divorce and custody battle that began over a year ago.
My vehicles have been repossessed and I am without any transportation. I am looking for anything that I can find to continue my job search and meet my obligations. Please let me know if you are aware of any vehicle donation programs. I am willing to perform any manual labor or office work, or any other duties that I can perform with one arm to pay for a reliable form of transportation also.
I have 4 children and am 6 months behind on my mortgage. My power and water have been disconnected three times since the accident. I am very close with my two children from a previous marriage and am 4 months behind on my child support. My medical debt is over 100k due to the extensive surgeries and long hospital stays. I have been unable to pay any car loans or credit card debt since the accident.
The disability lawyers are expecting an approval at the hearing due to my arm being amputated. I am also working with my mortgage company on a modification. However, until either the disability is approved or I secure employment I will continue to struggle to meet the need of my family and meet my financial obligations. I have exhausted all family and friend resources and am very worried.
If you can help please respond or call me, (this is a friend’s phone as my service was shut off. She is informed that you may be calling and currently resides with me and supports me). I’m sorry to be a burden. Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Joshua
PitPit

Re: Amputation of arm lost work

Post by PitPit »

Hi
I’m interested in seeing if there are any programs available for my mother who is disabled due to an arm amputation that is in need of a car. She currently has a car that won’t run anymore. She drives with her hands, her car has hand controls so she doesn’t have to use her feet. She also lives and helps care for my disabled brother who recently had one of his arms amputated. They live in Calvert County Maryland, St. Leonard to be exact. She gets social security and a small pension. Her income falls below the poverty limit. She is able to drive as an amutee and has a current drivers license, she just needs a reliable car. She has nothing in the form of savings etc. PLEASE I’m looking for any usable information that may help. This car was their lifeline to be able to go to doctor appts etc.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Amputation of arm lost work

Post by Admin »

Hi Joshua
So sorry to read that story. There are also disability advocates - not just lawyers. Look for one that is contingency based, so the advocate will only get paid if they are successful in getting you disability for your amputation. They can also give some general tips on resources for amputees, and look here for what disability advocates do.
Ebonee wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:17 am Good evening
My name is Joshua, I am have major medical issues with my arm amputated.