Lost everything but now I have a job!

State and local government assistance programs.
Merical Cromer
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Lost everything but now I have a job!

Post by Merical Cromer »

Hello,
I’ve been unemployed since 2014, and have depleted my savings, retirement funds, and maxed out my credit cards. The good news is that I recently received a job offer and will start in about a week. The challenge is that I am already one month behind on my rent and will not earn enough to cover rent payments until March.
So, I need assistance to cover two months’ rent—in the form of a grant or a loan.
I live in Miami and contacted the Miami-Dade County Homeless Helpline. However, I was told that their program can only help once I am facing imminent eviction and have received a court notice to that effect. Naturally, I would rather avoid that situation since I am currently on a month-to-month lease and any required legal action might provoke my landlord to ask me to move out regardless.
Moving is not an option, since that would require the equivalent of 3-4 months’ rent including security deposit and moving expenses, plus my recent employment situation would likely get me rejected on any new lease application.
I also contacted the Salvation Army Miami Area Command to inquire about their emergency family services program to see if they can help me since I lost everything. I was informed that they’ve run out of funding for any rental assistance.
I browsed through your website but found myself navigating in circles in search of the right information. Please let me know if you can suggest an alternate agency to contact now that I have a job that’s more suitable to my situation.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Lost everything but now I have a job!

Post by Admin »

Great that you have a new job and what seems to be a good attitude! And resiliency.
Since you need everything, try our main site if you need help with bills.
As we have financial help, free items, and more listed.