Scammed by a contractor

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
dentist
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Scammed by a contractor

Post by dentist »

Good morning,
My wife and I are struggling. Sadly we were scammed by a contractor - our nephew. We need the power of prayer and God's favor. We joined a couple of real estate education groups and that cost us approximately $65k of which we put on charge accounts. Then when we found a property it just all seem to fall together and we looked at it as a blessing from God. By God's grace we were finally on our way to having a slice of the American Dream. Then reality hit. Our nephew contractor saw this as an opportunity to scam us for approximately $20k and no one would touch it because no permits were pulled and his work was subpar. Then we found a framer to do work and his work was subpar too. Then a Christian Buddy came to St Augustine from Racine WI to do the electrical and plumbing work. He also fixed a lot of what the other two did. I then had the HVAC done and things were moving along.
Just as we thought we were on our way my wife, MaryAnne a breast cancer survivor, was diagnosed with skin cancer. She had that removed and the next day she received a call that her mammogram turned up positive. My wife was a nervous wreck.
I served in the Marines from 78 - 82. I was stationed on Guam and at Camp Lejeune. The water at Camp Lejeune was tainted with toxic chemicals from the 1950's to the 80's. Guam used agent orange as a herbicide during the same time frame and approximately 80% of all the agent orange bombings conducted on Vietnam originated from Guam. Not a good time to be in either place.
During a NATO training in Norway, I contracted a severe case of athlete’s feet and fell out of a truck injuring my back and head. To insult to injury, after my discharge in 82, that same unit was deployed to Beirut and went to guard God's gates on 10/23/83. I'm now a 40% disabled Veteran trying to relieve a higher rating. I have head spikes, which feels like electricity going into my head, memory loss and constant pressure on my head too. I don't receive disability for this.. Hopefully God will change this.. So both my wife are a tad bit messed up.
Now I was going to come back last Tuesday from St Augustine to be with my wife when she had her biopsy. I had a head spike, lost my balance and my knee went to war with a door jamb and lost. I had a friend drive me from St. Augustine to our home in Newberry FL so that my wife could take me to the VA ER and I've been on crutches since.
Now the investor wants his money and I'm in no condition to do anything and don't have enough money to pay anyone to finish the job due to the same from the contractor.
I've put in a claim to the VA for my head condition, etc and my lawyer is trying to have my back and feet disability retroactive to 1982. I've also applied for social security disability. I'm going to be 60 and my wife 67 and she doesn't know if she will even be working anymore, so we are not sure if we recover from this scam job.
Also during this time, a childhood friend had a heart attack, he survived. The couple that was helping us found out that she might have cervical cancer and a dear friend has stage 4 brain cancer and has 3 - 6 months to live. He's married and has an eight year old daughter.
I feel helpless and asking for the power of prayer for all of us. With God's grace, mercy and blessing we all will weather the storm.