Landlord evicting us due to renovation

Find how to get help with rent
Speculative
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Landlord evicting us due to renovation

Post by Speculative »

Hello. Hello. My name is Christina Davis. I am a single mom and am needing to move out of the house I have lived in for almost two years. My landlord wants to renovate he says so I must go. I already was in touch with a lawyer who told me how they were going about it was wrong which ended up giving me more time in the house. My question is, I really need help to move into a place. Saving up enough for a first month’s rent, a deposit of at least the same amount of rent, PLUS continue to pay my current rent, is almost impossible! I do have a job but recently started. Can you please direct me to ANY possible resources that might help me with move in costs?? I have emailed many agencies but cannot seem to locate any agency for help because I am not completely homeless. I AM TRYING TO PREVENT THAT! Which is the frustration with the landlord evicting us due to the renovation. Do I have to be sleeping on the street with my child to be eligible for any help? There are all of these agencies that claim to "help prevent homelessness" yet I cannot find any assistance for move in costs which is all I need. I will also be having my 72-year-old disabled aunt moving in with us and we need a place A.S.A.P. Thank you for your time and please let me know of any resources you know of or can lead me to that help people from becoming homeless. Not only those who are already homeless.
Scarlett Bloom
anti spam: Blue

Re: Landlord evicting us due to renovation

Post by Scarlett Bloom »

I am currently being evicted due to non-payment of rent for the last 9 months, now my landlord is renovating the apartment. My boss passed away the end of May 2022 which caused me to fall behind on my rent. I got another job and started in September 2022. By then my landlord had already begun eviction proceedings as well as planned renovations and therefore could not accept anymore payments from me.
I applied for the court-based rental assistance to cover my arrears ($8,100), however I did not qualify as I had already received 15 months of rental assistance ($13,500) in June 2021 through ILRRP to cover my rent from July 2020-Aug 2021. I am the only source of income right now as my husband is disabled and awaiting approval of disability benefits.
I have already had 2 court dates for my eviction so as of right now, I have nowhere to move to that is not being renovated and no funds to do so. I am reaching out to see if there are any other programs or entities that might be able to help me with my back rent or with first months rent and a deposit to move somewhere else. I am desperate and about to be homeless. Please help. Thank you so much for your time. I look forward to your response.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Landlord evicting us due to renovation

Post by Admin »

In general, if your lease says he/she can do that for repairs, and proper notifications and notice is given, not too much you can do. But look into legal aid, rent assistance programs and other free resources. Find more on getting help with rent for free.