Re: Where can I get cataract surgery from?
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2026 10:16 am
Since your insurance will pay for regular cataract surgery but your doctor says the laser procedure is needed because of the retina risk, maybe there are ways to get help. First ask the surgeon or eye doctor or practice (or whoever is doing the work) to appeal the insurance denial and document why it is medically necessary rather than just accepting the $4,000 cost. As if really medically needed seems it should be covered, so push back,
Also ask the surgery center about their financial assistance or charity-care program, as being on a fixed SSA income may help you qualify. Prevent Blindness may also know of eye-care assistance in your area at 800-331-2020, and our cataract surgery page for possible help. As Mission Cataract and some similar charities mostly help people with no insurance or very limited policies, so the insurance appeal may be the better option in your situation.
Also ask the surgery center about their financial assistance or charity-care program, as being on a fixed SSA income may help you qualify. Prevent Blindness may also know of eye-care assistance in your area at 800-331-2020, and our cataract surgery page for possible help. As Mission Cataract and some similar charities mostly help people with no insurance or very limited policies, so the insurance appeal may be the better option in your situation.
Jelena Stojanovic wrote: ↑Fri Sep 04, 2026 5:13 am Good afternoon.
I'm trying to find out if you can provide financial assistance for my Laser Cataracts Surgery which is roughly $4K for both eyes or direct me to an organization or charity that may be able to help me.
I'm a 54-year-old indigent male on Federal Living Assistance through H.U.D. and I'm also on a fixed income with the S.S.A.
My medical insurance would cover the whole procedure if it was the traditional cataracts surgery, but since I am at risk of retina detachment, I must have laser cataract surgery.
Thanks for your time and for any assistance you may be able to offer me.