Medical travel expenses

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
Offtherack
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Medical travel expenses

Post by Offtherack »

Hello,
I live in a small town in upstate Ohio. In May I was diagnosed with multimodal invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer, stage 2b, grade 3, proliferation rate 58%. I feel like I am able to pay my regular bills ok but what has been difficult has been the travel expenses. I have been traveling to the Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN, which is more than 1,200 miles from my home. I have just returned home about a week ago after spending 3 weeks there...coming home for about two weeks, and then going back for another three weeks.
I am, currently back home and have just started my chemo treatments today. When I am finished with my chemo, I will need to go back to the Mayo clinic for the mastectomy of my other breast followed by a deep flap reconstruction. I wanted to know what I needed to do to see if I would be eligible for funds to help with those expenses. I suppose if I had money to pay bills it would free up money for travel, but I am not looking to take advantage. Help with those costs would be great. My mom has been traveling with me for support but she lives on a fixed income. Thank you so much for your consideration in advance!!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Medical travel expenses

Post by Admin »

Help for travel expenses is very rare. You can try places such as Ronald McDonald House for short term lodging (or referrals) and there may be some grant based aid too. Also, did you check with the Mayo clinic and their charity programs? Many hospitals may have suggestions for travel costs. Since while the assistance is rare, you will need to ask alot of different places for medical grants and travel needs in general.
Cman15

Post by Cman15 »

Hello. My husband currently has medical coverage through Blue plus Advantage and his illness requires being seen at the Mayo Clinic, but we can't afford to pay for the travel. We were told there may be county service to assist gas and/or lodging expense for the trip from St Paul to Rochester. I called Ramsey County and they do not offer any help. Please let me know if you know of any program or one-time assistance in this area.
Thank you,
Mybadder

Post by Mybadder »

Hello,
My name is Joshua. And I am emailing you in hope that you guys could hopefully help me I am hoping/requesting for help with medical and travel expense assistance so I can get to Indianapolis Indiana so I can go to Simon Cancer Center for a consultation on August 31st 2022 and then I have surgery on October 1st 2022 to remove a tumor in my right lower abdominal area. I was diagnosed with testicular cancer on February 14th 2022 and need travel expense help for that too. Please feel free to contact me on my cell phone. That is my Graeme, and thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon have a blessed day.
Falynn Guobadia

Post by Falynn Guobadia »

Hello, my name is Veronica and I'm 61 years old and its been very difficult finding assistance for my medical travel due to surgery.

I fell behind about 6 weeks ago due to a current medical situation that requires a major surgery with travel expenses. This surgery can not be done locally even though I have Baylor Scott & White insurance. I have to travel an hour and a half away to another town to have this done. But I had to have a few appointments and each trip averages $100 round trip, which includes my $30 copay. My battery and alternator went out on my car in the same month which was unexpected. Then there was the most outrageous electric bill I've ever had for a one bedroom apartment that's 450 sq. ft, that was $224 this month.
I am in a crunch. I am on Social Security, I would like to go back to work part-time but I can't without this surgery. I would appreciate any help that you could offer or at least point me in a direction that could be a possibility of helping me with my medical travel expenses. Thank you so much for your time and attention to my email.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

While paying for travel expenses is very rare, maybe a charity can help. There are some focused on health and/or medical needs. They may be an option for you - but like we said money for travel costs is not common. Find charities for financial help here. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... bills.html
Falynn Guobadia wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:39 am Hello, my name is Veronica and I'm 61 years old and its been very difficult finding assistance for my medical travel due to surgery.

I fell behind about 6 weeks ago due to a current medical situation that requires a major surgery with travel expenses.