How do seniors get jobs these days?

Ways to increase your income or make money.
Lorde
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

How do seniors get jobs these days?

Post by Lorde »

I am currently unemployed and am having difficulty finding a job. I am 64 years old and although I know age discrimination is illegal I feel that my age maybe keeping me from getting interviews in the application process. I worked in the same job for the last fourteen years at a physicians office and was told when I was terminated that I was no longer performing to their expectations. I was denied unemployment compensation and appealed the decision because they stated that the job description that I was hired for had not changed but the physicians group that I was hired for merged with another physicians group and it went from eight physicians to twenty two physicians. How could it not have changed?
I am currently attempting to secure a full time position but in the meantime I live in a household with my daughter and her two children. My daughter is not working and has applied for disability but the process takes several years as she was initially denied and is appealing the decision through an attorney. She has chronic back pain due to degenerative disc disease and is unable to sit or stand for any length of time due to chronic pain. She receives a minimal amount of child support from the children’s father and food stamps and medical coverage for herself and the children.
I have provided a home for them for the last 10 years and have claimed them on my tax returns for the last 5 to 6 years because their father no longer has any contact with them. They are 13 years old and 11 years old. They have attended the same schools since they were in Kindergarten. I expected to be back to work by now and with the help of the tax return this year have been able to keep up with the rent and utilities and other financial obligations but I now am worried as my funds will only see us through about two more months.
I wanted to ask if there are any assistance programs that we would qualify for? I have no savings now . I have one other child, a grown son who is currently a resident at a nursing home but is on a waiting list to go to an assisted living facility when an opening becomes available. He is 35 years old and unmarried and I am the only person he has to rely on for helping him to recover. I would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: How do seniors get jobs these days?

Post by Admin »

One option is SCSEP. However it also sounds like, since older, you want a less stressful job on body, mind, etc. If so, we have a bunch of resources listed for that too. You can find them here on our stress free jobs for seniors. With the booming job market and record low unemployment rate, literally millions of jobs are available. it should be easy to find work.
Lorde wrote:I am currently unemployed and am having difficulty finding a job.
MorganGold

Re: How do seniors get jobs these days?

Post by MorganGold »

Hello, my name is Ashley and I am a senior citizen with no job - I need one. In the meantime I am struggling to get my propane bill paid off. I've been making payments as I can and looking for a job. I still have a remaining balance of roughly 235$. I am almost fully out of heat and I don't know what else I can do. The company will not give me any propane until the entire bill is paid in full and no companies will here me, a senior, for a job today I live in Owosso, MI. Thank you for your time and consideration.