TANF not enough to pay my rent

The main NHPB site has more information on local rent assistance programs.
The Hobbit
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

TANF not enough to pay my rent

Post by The Hobbit »

I’m sorry to send this email and really not sure if you can help me. I ‘m in a desperate position, I lost my job and have no income currently coming in. I have applied for services through the State of Connecticut and was awarded $228 a month in TANF starting first of month sometime. The problem is I raise my 13yr son who is eighth grade this year. We have lived in our rental place for nearly three years and I hate to move him from all he knows. I’m looking to see if there are any problems or anything possible I could do to get help covering November’s rent, to allow me the month to start work and get back on track. I feel like I’m losing everything I worked so hard to get, though it’s not much it’s all I have and I’m proud I earned it. If there is anything you could help me with, I would be so grateful.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: TANF not enough to pay my rent

Post by Admin »

Well, TANF or any government program was never intended to pay all of someone's rent. Section 8 doesn't even do this. But there are some non-profits to contact in Connecticut. Maybe they have suggestions. But if you have no income, no job, and no prospects, then it will be difficult for you to say the least. So here are the Connecticit financial aid programs.
MinVicking

Post by MinVicking »

A FAMILY FRIEND HAS A CHILD AND NO PLACE TO STAY. SHE IS RECEIVING A TANF CHECK. THAT'S NOT MUCH TO HELP GET A HOUSE TO RENT. SHE IS MOSTLY HOMELESS. IS THEIR ANY GOVERNMENT PROGRAM THAT CAN HELP HER RIGHT NOW...SHE HAS A LITTLE GIRL WHO NEEDS A STABLE PLACE TO STAY. SHE NEEDS IT URGENTLY BEFORE CHRISTMAS. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME KIND OF INFORMATION TO HELP HER. THANK YOU.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

TANF is temporary by nature. But it can often be combined with other government funds too, such as section 8 HUD vouchers or other programs. You can read more about TANF cash assistance here.
MinVicking wrote: IS THEIR ANY GOVERNMENT PROGRAM THAT CAN HELP HER RIGHT NOW...SHE HAS A LITTLE GIRL WHO NEEDS A STABLE PLACE TO STAY. SHE NEEDS IT URGENTLY BEFORE CHRISTMAS. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME KIND OF INFORMATION TO HELP HER. THANK YOU.