unemployment doesn't cover rent

Find how to get help with rent
LaMichael
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

unemployment doesn't cover rent

Post by LaMichael »

Dear Sir or Madame,
I am desperately in need of help. I got laid off from my job on April 28, 2011. I do receive unemployment benefits, but the monthly amount I receive does not cover my rent. I have exhausted all of my savings. I went to the local Family Success Centers and was turned down for help paying my rent. I was told that since my monthly income (unemployment) did not cover the cost of basic needs, that I am not eligible for help. I have also contacted the local Salvation Army. In order to receive financial assistance, one has to call in on Tuesday mornings starting at 8:30am. For the past two weeks I have called and but have not gotten through in time to place my name on the list for help. The phone lines are always jammed and the few times I did get through, the call went to voice messaging. Once I reached a representative who told me that they have taken all the names for that week. It was not even an hour since the agency began taking calls! I also made many calls regarding the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program implemented by the state of FL. I was informed there are no more funds available. I even contacted Gov Rick Scott’s office
asking for help. A woman answered and gave me a phone number for the field office for HUD. When I called the number, I was told that this agency does not assist people with paying rent. I do not have any family members in the state of Florida and really need help. Since
there is help for homeowners up to 9 months through the ‘Hardest Hit Fund’, I would like to know what kind of help there is for renters? Am I penalized because I have a lease and not a mortgage? Can you please help me? Perhaps point me in the right direction? Anything that you can do would be greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: unemployment doesn't cover rent

Post by Admin »

It seems as if you live in Florida if you are referring to the governor and the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. This federal resource is usually run by the Salvation Army or other local non-profits, so you have made some of the right phone calls. Could HUD refer you to who could help? Regardless, find other Florida rent assistance programs by city, town, and county.

LaMichael wrote:Dear Sir or Madame,
I am desperately in need of help. I got laid off from my job on April 28, 2011. I do receive unemployment benefits, but the monthly amount I receive does not cover my rent. I have exhausted all of my savings. I went to the local Family Success Centers and was turned down for help paying my rent. I was told that since my monthly income (unemployment) did not cover the cost of basic needs, that I am not eligible for help. I have also contacted the local Salvation Army. In order to receive financial assistance, one has to call in on Tuesday mornings starting at 8:30am. For the past two weeks I have called and but have not gotten through in time to place my name on the list for help. The phone lines are always jammed and the few times I did get through, the call went to voice messaging. Once I reached a representative who told me that they have taken all the names for that week. It was not even an hour since the agency began taking calls! I also made many calls regarding the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program implemented by the state of FL. I was informed there are no more funds available. I even contacted Gov Rick Scott’s office
asking for help. A woman answered and gave me a phone number for the field office for HUD. When I called the number, I was told that this agency does not assist people with paying rent. I do not have any family members in the state of Florida and really need help. Since
there is help for homeowners up to 9 months through the ‘Hardest Hit Fund’, I would like to know what kind of help there is for renters? Am I penalized because I have a lease and not a mortgage? Can you please help me? Perhaps point me in the right direction? Anything that you can do would be greatly appreciated.