Electric shut off medical condition

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
MBJ
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Electric shut off medical condition

Post by MBJ »

I have 2 children one who has severe asthma and allergies and would get worse if our electric was shut off. I got the winterization package done on my house and ever since they messed with my water heater and put a new regulator on it, it has been leaking and has caused my electric bill to jump from $100-$120 all the way to $225-$255 the last 2 months. I have contacted the company and they came over to look at it and admitted they messed it up. That was about 2 weeks ago and my water heater is still leaking and causing my bill to go up!!! I have NO way to pay this and do not know WHAT I am going to do!! PLEASE help me!!!
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Electric shut off medical condition

Post by Admin »

if you kids are that sick many states have rules, regulations, and laws in place that protect families and children (in particular) with shutting off energy service. They regulate when power can and can't be turned off, ensure people with medical conditions keep their electric service on, etc. An extensive listing of utility disconnection laws can be found here for each state.
MBJ wrote:I have 2 children one who has severe asthma and allergies and would get worse if our electric was shut off. I got the winterization package done on my house and ever since they messed with my water heater and put a new regulator on it, it has been leaking and has caused my electric bill to jump from $100-$120 all the way to $225-$255 the last 2 months. I have contacted the company and they came over to look at it and admitted they messed it up. That was about 2 weeks ago and my water heater is still leaking and causing my bill to go up!!! I have NO way to pay this and do not know WHAT I am going to do!! PLEASE help me!!!
Aragone

Post by Aragone »

I have a long and heartbreaking story for you...it will be two years in November than my mother has been unemployed..she was let go from her company of three years with no reasoning. around that same time, my grandmother (mom's mother) told the family she was diagnosed with cancer. after the surgery she had to then undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatments. this was so hard for my mother to take, it would be for anybody. my mother sat with my grandmother day in and day out for every single one of the treatments. she is now doing better, and is regularly going to the doctors. why tell you this story? because its the reason my mother is where she is today. my mother could not hold a job down while this was happening, she knew she couldn't. my mother has a habitat for humanity house, with a large house payment; considered she was not able to continuing to collect unemployment, since June 2011. since then my mother has been living off of $65/wk. this is from child support for my little brother, from my father (divorced). we just recently got our health insurance back, and my mother was approved for a bridge card. THANK THE LORD, she had no way to buy groceries. this has been such a hard time in my life, watching my mother drown in her dues and things. Friday (10/07/2011) my mother came to my work and showed me a small piece of paper, not knowing what it had on it i started to read, Consumers Energy came to her home around 8 am and shut her power off. my mom no longer has lights, water, anything. she has now way of holding any sort of frozen/cold food. this is killing me. when it starts to get dark out i cry myself to sleep knowing she is in the pitch dark. i would like to request as much help as you can provide. if you would share this story to anybody who would be willing to contribute, that would be so awesome i could never thank you enough. i hope this story goes to a person with a good understanding, i just cant stand this much longer. i am helping her as much as i can. my mom just isnt strong enough yet to do this on her own. if you would like to contact me at any hour on any day that would be GREAT!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That is a long story. Thank you. As far as your Consumers Energy bill, find a listing of programs and resources that may help you in Michigan with your utility and electric bills from Consumer Energy. Those Michign energy assistance programs include PeopleCare, which is run by the Salvation Army, as well as another major program called Michigan State Emergency Relief (SER), which is offered by local community action agency.
Aragone wrote:I have a long and heartbreaking story for you...it will be two years in November than my mother has been unemployed..she was let go from her company of three years with no reasoning. around that same time, my grandmother (mom's mother) told the family she was diagnosed with cancer. after the surgery she had to then undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatments. this was so hard for my mother to take, it would be for anybody. my mother sat with my grandmother day in and day out for every single one of the treatments. she is now doing better, and is regularly going to the doctors. why tell you this story? because its the reason my mother is where she is today. my mother could not hold a job down while this was happening, she knew she couldn't. my mother has a habitat for humanity house, with a large house payment; considered she was not able to continuing to collect unemployment, since June 2011. since then my mother has been living off of $65/wk. this is from child support for my little brother, from my father (divorced). we just recently got our health insurance back, and my mother was approved for a bridge card. THANK THE LORD, she had no way to buy groceries. this has been such a hard time in my life, watching my mother drown in her dues and things. Friday (10/07/2011) my mother came to my work and showed me a small piece of paper, not knowing what it had on it i started to read, Consumers Energy came to her home around 8 am and shut her power off. my mom no longer has lights, water, anything. she has now way of holding any sort of frozen/cold food. this is killing me. when it starts to get dark out i cry myself to sleep knowing she is in the pitch dark. i would like to request as much help as you can provide. if you would share this story to anybody who would be willing to contribute, that would be so awesome i could never thank you enough. i hope this story goes to a person with a good understanding, i just cant stand this much longer. i am helping her as much as i can. my mom just isnt strong enough yet to do this on her own. if you would like to contact me at any hour on any day that would be GREAT!
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

I am writing to you from my hospital bed. I am in my 7th month of pregnancy & am having a little boy who has already been diagnosed with an illness. I will remain in the hospital until I deliver because I am considered a high risk pregnancy. Needless to say, this will put a damper on the holidays for my family. I live with my family; mother, father, a sister, and a brother. The past few years have hit us hard financially and both of my parents have lost their jobs at one point. They are back to working now, however, many of our bills have remained unpaid. The day I was admitted into the hospital, Progress Energy shut off our electric service in our home. They are not willing to work with us on a payment plan since we were so far behind and the bill is $17,000.00 which is impossible for us to come up with. Because my parents are working again, we do not qualify for social services or any assistance programs. My family has since been staying in a motel that is in our area. It is not a nice place since we can't afford anything expensive. I can only imagine what they are going through. They are all trying to keep up a happy demeanor around me but just thinking about them not having a home is making me ill. No one should have to live this way, especially around this time of year when it is so cold. I am wondering if you can find it in your heart to help us, please. I would appreciate anything you can do. Sincerely,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Progress Energy operates in many states in the Southeast, so we need to now which one you are writing from. Usually they will not turn off power if someone needs it for a medical condition, so call them and tell them of your situation. In addition to that, look into Georgia utility assistance programs. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/geo ... cooli.html
So what do your parents have to do with you qualifying for social services in Georgia. Thier income should not be a factor at all in your application.
Swimmer wrote:I am writing to you from my hospital bed. I am in my 7th month of pregnancy & am having a little boy who has already been diagnosed with an illness. I will remain in the hospital until I deliver because I am considered a high risk pregnancy. Needless to say, this will put a damper on the holidays for my family. I live with my family; mother, father, a sister, and a brother. The past few years have hit us hard financially and both of my parents have lost their jobs at one point. They are back to working now, however, many of our bills have remained unpaid. The day I was admitted into the hospital, Progress Energy shut off our electric service in our home. They are not willing to work with us on a payment plan since we were so far behind and the bill is $17,000.00 which is impossible for us to come up with. Because my parents are working again, we do not qualify for social services or any assistance programs. My family has since been staying in a motel that is in our area. It is not a nice place since we can't afford anything expensive. I can only imagine what they are going through. They are all trying to keep up a happy demeanor around me but just thinking about them not having a home is making me ill. No one should have to live this way, especially around this time of year when it is so cold. I am wondering if you can find it in your heart to help us, please. I would appreciate anything you can do. Sincerely,
Gibson1

Post by Gibson1 »

I am sending this in regards to my best friend. She has been homeless for a long time in her car, and finally got into a community in Orlando Florida. Under the terms that she pays her electric. It has been very hard on her for the past 15 years since Social Security has been taking all of her money at 100% recovery and has NO MONEY to pay her electric. Her bill runs every month between $80.00 to $92.00, and doesn't even have the money to pay this electric bill which is about $85.00 that has to be paid before the 31st of October or it will be shut off. She doesn't want to get thrown out of her apartment and be back on the street again in her car like she was for the past 2 years. Can you please help her at least for the next 2 to 6 months at least she is paid up for the rest of the year and she does not lose her apartment. She is also a diabetic and has special needs and is also disabled. Can you please, for the love of god help her not to lose her home. Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Who is the utility provider? Is it People's Gas? if so, they have several different payment plans and assistance programs for struggling families, and they are on our main site. Also, why is social security taking her money? There must have been something she did that caused this? However, look into the programs the company offers, and find more information on People Gas programs.
Steveo12

Post by Steveo12 »

My husband was the bread winner until January he was hit by an 18 wheeler. Then place off work for 5 months, rent was beginning to back up we borrow all we can from family and can’t seem to catch up. At this point and time we are 3 months behind can someone please help. We have a daughter that is required cool air because of her asthma so we need electric bill help, my husband is at last stage of healing but back still not right. Can anyone help us?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Both electric and medical bill assistance programs are on the main website. Between the two they can hopefully help you keep the power on as well as help your daughter with her asthma.

Steveo12 wrote:We have a daughter that is required cool air because of her asthma. Can anyone help us?
Oceans

Post by Oceans »

To whom it may concern,
I need emergency assistance with my electric bill as I have a medical condition. We are currently on flex pay with French Broad Electric Membership Corporation in Baskerville, NC. While flex pay helps in paying as we go, the mobile home that we are currently renting, has no alternate source of heat. We have an electric heat pump that uses an overwhelming amount of our electric.
Even though we are very conservative with it, it is using anywhere from $6.00-$10.00 per day! We recently paid $55 towards our account and it is already gone. Our power was shut off this morning and we have no heat. We called the electric company and tried to pay $20 more towards the bill to have it turned back on and they said it wasn't enough to address the shut off of our electric. That's all we have to our names until I get paid on Thursday, November 16th. We have contacted our local DSS and all other organizations that help with utilities with no success, even though I have a medical condition. I have two children in my home and am in desperate need of help.
Thank you,
Arey Gol

Post by Arey Gol »

Hey, I am Jamie. And I came home today to find my electricity had been disconnected and the disconnect was in my mailbox and I have a medical condition. I’m sorry that I have to ask for assistance but my bill was over 500.00, and I couldn’t manage to get it paid in time. I don’t have a phone or Wi-Fi - please contact me thru postal mail or leave message.  Another reason is that I just or within 6-8 months got my HUD, and my light bill just got high past couple months. Please help me so that I do not go back to the homeless ordeal, once I get this taken care of, my bills won’t be an issue, not paying the full bill is what got me, and not receiving the disconnect notice and the highness of the bill.  Call this number and leave message with Brandon or Jackie. Please let me know within next day (24hrs) so I don’t lose my HUD. Thanks, and sorry again.