College student facing eviction

Find how to get help with rent
Cary
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

College student facing eviction

Post by Cary »

I am 37 years old, a full-time college student in Houston, and unemployed. I lost my job in Marchof 2009, went on unemployment until April of 2011 as was on extended unemployment plan from government. Then lost that due to a disagreement with my former employer. In May 2010, I signed up for school in order to better myself (associate's degree program) because I had no skills or talents. Since then I have acheived straight A's and will graduate in May of 2013, or so I hope. However, my pell grants are not enough and I have faced eviction 3 times so far. Next month if I do not come up with my rent, I will face eviction again, but this time I know my landlord will not give me any lee-way whatsoever (he is sick of it). I will not receive any further pell grants until late October. Next month I will also face utility problems (I already have an electric discount, but am on a payment plan from getting behind)...plus I need my internet for my schooling. Can you PLEASE tell me if I could get any rent and/or utility payment help in Houston Texas?? I have already gone through welfare also, and they will no longer help me (community action too). Isn't there any aid for rent and utilities for full-time college students?? Especially if over the age of 30?? Thank you for ANY help you can give me in this matter. I am thousands $ into debt now because of my schooling and I would hate to become homeless and lose what little I have going for me!!
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: College student facing eviction

Post by Admin »

Have to taken out any other student loans for your college expenses, rent, and utilities? Even try living on site or in dorm to limit expenses. So the community action agency denied you in Houston? What was reason.
Some other non-profits to call in the region can be found here at help with bills in Harris County. We have dozens of agencies and charities listed and that can be called for financial help and support, including charities like My Brother's Keeper Outreach Center at (281) 498-9933, which may have some emergency assistance programs for rent and energy bills.
Cary wrote:I am 37 years old, a full-time college student in Houston, and unemployed. I lost my job in Marchof 2009, went on unemployment until April of 2011 as was on extended unemployment plan from government. Then lost that due to a disagreement with my former employer. In May 2010, I signed up for school in order to better myself (associate's degree program) because I had no skills or talents. Since then I have acheived straight A's and will graduate in May of 2013, or so I hope. However, my pell grants are not enough and I have faced eviction 3 times so far. Next month if I do not come up with my rent, I will face eviction again, but this time I know my landlord will not give me any lee-way whatsoever (he is sick of it). I will not receive any further pell grants until late October. Next month I will also face utility problems (I already have an electric discount, but am on a payment plan from getting behind)...plus I need my internet for my schooling. Can you PLEASE tell me if I could get any rent and/or utility payment help in Houston Texas?? I have already gone through welfare also, and they will no longer help me (community action too). Isn't there any aid for rent and utilities for full-time college students?? Especially if over the age of 30?? Thank you for ANY help you can give me in this matter. I am thousands $ into debt now because of my schooling and I would hate to become homeless and lose what little I have going for me!!
Future

Post by Future »

good Morning. Im a student of Santa Monica College. I have been attending the school already for 3 years and planing to transfer to another college, probably USC. Im writing to you in order to get some information about rental help. As I said, Im a resident Of the United States, currently studying at Santa Monica College. I earn my living only by part time jobs which is as little as 2000 $ per year;however i receive 7500 financial aid as well. but as you can see it wouldn't be enough to cover all my expenses. Its been a long time that im looking for some program which would help me while im in the school. Getting a regular job would be difficult cause i'm a full time student. Please if you know some agencies which are able to help do not delay the response. Im looking forward to get an answer from you.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

We do have fairly extensive information on assistance in Los Angeles. So even though a college student, these programs will be available to you as well, as they are not age dependt. Try calling non-profits in LA such as the St. Joseph Family Center for rent help, and their phone number is 408-842-6662. Another great resource for people, including college students, is Los Angeles City Housing Department - phone (866) 557-7368 which can also advise on the Santa Monica region too.
Future wrote:good Morning. Im a student of Santa Monica College. I have been attending the school already for 3 years and planing to transfer to another college, probably USC. Im writing to you in order to get some information about rental help. As I said, Im a resident Of the United States, currently studying at Santa Monica College. I earn my living only by part time jobs which is as little as 2000 $ per year;however i receive 7500 financial aid as well. but as you can see it wouldn't be enough to cover all my expenses. Its been a long time that im looking for some program which would help me while im in the school. Getting a regular job would be difficult cause i'm a full time student. Please if you know some agencies which are able to help do not delay the response. Im looking forward to get an answer from you.