Section 8 not accepting applications

Find how to get help with rent
Johnston
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Section 8 not accepting applications

Post by Johnston »

I currently live in Marion County in Indianapolis, Indiana. I am reaching out and hoping to gain some help with rental assistance. I have called numerous times to the Section 8 office and each time they inform me that they are closed and not accepting applications. I am not sure where else to find assistance for rent. I work approximately 32 hours per week making $8 an hour. I
have a 7 and a half old son as well. We live with my boyfriends family currently since we do not make enough money to afford an apartment or a house. His family is selling their house in the next month or so and is moving to Florida. We don't have anywhere to go once they move. We work as hard as we possibly can to provide for our beautiful son Avery. If you would be able to give me some information regarding rental help and possibly utility assistance I would greatly appreciate it. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Section 8 not accepting applications

Post by Admin »

Most section 8 programs do have waiting lists that can take months to fill, and yes, some do stop accepting applications if that waiting list is too long. I think just keep calling the various agencies in your area. We have hundreds of phone numbers and agencies listed on the primary site at needhelppayingbills, so be sure to explore there. Get info on places like Marion Housing Authority (765) 664-5194 as well as the Indianapolis Housing Agency ((317) 261-7200) both of which provide section 8 housing vouchers to the low income and needy.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/sec ... diana.html
Johnston wrote:I currently live in Marion County in Indianapolis, Indiana. I am reaching out and hoping to gain some help with rental assistance. I have called numerous times to the Section 8 office and each time they inform me that they are closed and not accepting applications. I am not sure where else to find assistance for rent. I work approximately 32 hours per week making $8 an hour. I
have a 7 and a half old son as well. We live with my boyfriends family currently since we do not make enough money to afford an apartment or a house. His family is selling their house in the next month or so and is moving to Florida. We don't have anywhere to go once they move. We work as hard as we possibly can to provide for our beautiful son Avery. If you would be able to give me some information regarding rental help and possibly utility assistance I would greatly appreciate it. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Macra

Post by Macra »

I followed up with the various organizations and Section 8 (your suggestions and others), and - in case you don't already know - there seems to be no rental assistance to apply for for immediate relief for people who aren't within days of physical eviction or who are very low income. Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems like completely backwards logic to me. If someone is within days eviction, they've obviously gotten in such a deep hole that they probably won't be helped too much by one time assistance.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, section 8 housing programs often have waiting lists and limited funding. The demand is great for housing and rent help, especially in the weak economy. But you need to apply and go through the process. Get extensive information and details on section 8 housing , and you just need to go through the process. And I am not disagreeing...it may be backwards. But nothing you or I can do about that.
Macra wrote:I followed up with the various organizations and Section 8 (your suggestions and others), and - in case you don't already know - there seems to be no rental assistance to apply for for immediate relief for people who aren't within days of physical eviction or who are very low income. Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems like completely backwards logic to me. If someone is within days eviction, they've obviously gotten in such a deep hole that they probably won't be helped too much by one time assistance.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Eberner

Post by Eberner »

My son and myself are in need of housing in Monroe, LA. They are not accepting applications for Sec 8 anywhere in my area. Have been living with friends and now have to move. Just want someplace to live without having to go to a homeless shelter. Cannot find help anywhere
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, most section 8 programs do have waiting lists, and have a backlog of applications. But you need to keep trying if you want to apply for a voucher. Find an extensive listing of Louisiana section 8 housing programs, in Monroe Louisiana too. These programs cap your rent expense at 30% of your income.
Eberner wrote:My son and myself are in need of housing in Monroe, LA. They are not accepting applications for Sec 8 anywhere in my area. Have been living with friends and now have to move. Just want someplace to live without having to go to a homeless shelter. Cannot find help anywhere
RodgerE

Post by RodgerE »

we are approved for section 8 but cant come up with the security deposit.. either can we get help with rent or coming up with the security. we are living with my parents and we need to move out, very stressful and unhealthy environment. not sure what else to do. i have 2 kids and we need a place.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Try to keep living with parents until you can save some cash for deposit and first months rent. Is that an option? It is always a great idea to have some saving. Until then, look into Section 8 housing programs. Some non-profits that run them may pay for security deposits, but it really depends. Other programs like homeless prevention and rapid rehousing may be options for you too.
RodgerE wrote:we are approved for section 8 but cant come up with the security deposit.. either can we get help with rent or coming up with the security. we are living with my parents and we need to move out, very stressful and unhealthy environment. not sure what else to do. i have 2 kids and we need a place.
Azrael77

Post by Azrael77 »

I am really sorry to hear this but yes section 8 is the hardest thing to get due to the high volume of dead beats and bumbs in line...people whom have never worked a day in their life and expect to be given everything in life while they lay on their butt and breath(waste) everybody elses air. Try www.211.org..it's the united way website with a resource directory and it should have charities, churches ect. that help with rent, utility costs, food pantries, medical care ect. Good luck!
Rudys

Post by Rudys »

I am staying in a hotel and I am on the housing list in Texas. I am waiting on a Section 8 voucher which I found out could take up to 120 days. I work for an agency which now I am behind in my room rent since they do not call me to work often. I have a car that I am about to lose. I have 3 girls and a boy and need assistance with utility deposit and to ensure my section 8 voucher goes through. I need to be able to locate housing. Please direct me to a place that would be of assistance. At the moment we are currently out of food and no money.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

See if you can borrow money from a friend or family member for the 120 days, or better yet, stay with them. 120 days is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. As far as who to call for rental assistance, find the listing of Texas section 8 housing programs and public housing authorities to call.
Rudys wrote:I am staying in a hotel and I am on the housing list in Texas. I am waiting on a Section 8 voucher which I found out could take up to 120 days. I work for an agency which now I am behind in my room rent since they do not call me to work often. I have a car that I am about to lose. I have 3 girls and a boy and need assistance with utility deposit and to ensure my section 8 voucher goes through. I need to be able to locate housing. Please direct me to a place that would be of assistance. At the moment we are currently out of food and no money.
Mills

Post by Mills »

This is an inquiry on the behalf of a friend. He lives in New York, has 4 children and his wife is currently pregnant and is not working. He takes home $240 a week after taxes and is finding it very difficult to get by. He already has food stamp benefits but is being told that section * can take a very long time. Would you be able to advise of additional services and contacts which this family may be able to use. I am afraid that they will be homeless shortly or else will need to move in with me if they are unable to get the help they need. Unfortunately, I do not have the means or space to support a family of so many. I would be grateful for your advise. Many thanks and best regards.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Section 8 housing is offered in New York, so look into that before becoming homeless. Why can't the wife work? I am not sure how anyone can get by one one salary of a few hundred per week with 5 kids and a wife who doesn't work. So pass along this contact for section 8 housing vouchers and general housing advice. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/sec ... _york.html
Unfortunately sometimes there are waiting lists, but your friend can still call the agencies in question.
Mills wrote:This is an inquiry on the behalf of a friend. He lives in New York, has 4 children and his wife is currently pregnant and is not working. He takes home $240 a week after taxes and is finding it very difficult to get by. He already has food stamp benefits but is being told that section * can take a very long time. Would you be able to advise of additional services and contacts which this family may be able to use. I am afraid that they will be homeless shortly or else will need to move in with me if they are unable to get the help they need. Unfortunately, I do not have the means or space to support a family of so many. I would be grateful for your advise. Many thanks and best regards.
Henert

Post by Henert »

I found your email on a Government web site, I'll be 61 tomorrow, I'm disabled and blind, need of help to pay my over due Electric bill & gas bill. Also my lease it up end of September so I have to move. I applied for section 8 on Feb 5th 2012 and was told I would be contacted since I was disabled and considered elderly. I would be put higher on the list, but so far nothing. I'm looking now to Rent a place ( preferably ) a house in Riverside County area. I will be homeless at the end of September if I don't get help. Its hard for me to speak as well, if you do receive this message ( it's now Aug's 1st, 2012 ). I'll do my best to talk on the phone.
Ju Jansen

Post by Ju Jansen »

I am renting an apartment for $400 a month. I have faithfully paid rent for 5 years and never have missed payments until now. I am retired but have been working full-time as a home health night caregiver. I was laid off in December 2012 due to agency's lack of clients. I have been unable to find any full-time work since--just a little here and there. I would be eligible for Section 8 and I believe my landlord would perhaps being amenable to being a Section 8 landlord. Maybe not but he is flexible because I have been a good renter in every way.