Social Security not enough

State and local government assistance programs.
Luigi
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Social Security not enough

Post by Luigi »

I lost my job a few years ago and had to retire early or I would have lost my house, etc. I have been trying to survive on $772/Month Social Security, and as a homeowner. I live alone and have had trouble with my water bill of which has gone into a tax collection against my house. I am a member of the Oneida Tribe and now I owe them the $103.00. I don't know why the Water Dept. put this against me for only this low amount. I will have a very hard time paying this bill with what I have to live on. Also, I am in need of a roof and have already
been dropped by one Insurance co. I have contacted many programs for assistants but
had no luck. I can't afford the insurance payments anyway and have had to ask my 86
year old mother for the money each month. Please let me know what to do because I
still need a roof and, car repairs.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Social Security not enough

Post by Admin »

Is that the Oneida tribe in central New York? If so, attached is information on charities, assistance programs, and ways to get financial help in the area. Why would a water bill go into tax collection against your home? That doesn't sound right. Roofs are difficult to get help with. Maybe weatherization?
Try calling the following places or organizations. Mohawk Valley Community Action Agency, which can be reached at 315.624.0821. Another place to call for emergency aid or financial help is the Catholic Charities of Oneida-Madison. It covers Rome, Utica, and Oneida area of New York. Phone 337-8600
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/one ... progr.html
Luigi wrote:I lost my job a few years ago and had to retire early or I would have lost my house, etc. I have been trying to survive on $772/Month Social Security, and as a homeowner. I live alone and have had trouble with my water bill of which has gone into a tax collection against my house. I am a member of the Oneida Tribe and now I owe them the $103.00. I don't know why the Water Dept. put this against me for only this low amount. I will have a very hard time paying this bill with what I have to live on. Also, I am in need of a roof and have already
been dropped by one Insurance co. I have contacted many programs for assistants but
had no luck. I can't afford the insurance payments anyway and have had to ask my 86
year old mother for the money each month. Please let me know what to do because I
still need a roof and, car repairs.
abanker

Post by abanker »

I have been unemployed since August 2007 (just before my 61st Birthday. Despite having post graduate degree and management experience have not found work in the last 4 years.

After exhausting unemployment benefits and all of my Savings and all assets/resources, I finally went bankrupt and then applied for Social Security Benefits early at age 62. My discounted benefits come to $773.00 at this time.

I have no assets like home, car etc., any more. I have not found suitable housing and currently stay as a paying guest at the rate of $150.00/week including utilities etc. That leaves me very little for other things like transportation, medicines and other expenses. I have applied for low income rental apartment in 77083 zip area but on a waiting list for over one year now.

I am not getting any other welfare or benefits or any kind of assistance from any Government or Private Agecies at this time and I do not know where to go for help.

I will be 65 on October 13, 2011 and will get Medicaare. I may be eligible for help to pay Part A & B or perhaps D if some one direct me where to apply. I also need housing as current arrangement as a paying guest $150.00 per week, although safe and in a private house, is kind of expensive for my budget/income and because it is just a verbal agreement and no paper support, I am not getting any Housing Choice Vouchers or any grant or other assistance to help pay for it.

In the past 38 years in Texas never had to look for financial or any other type assistance from any where.

Can some one possibly guide me and help me to find assistance for housing, work or what ever I may be eligible for from Government Agencies or Provate Foundations.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well, I think you may qualify for various assistance programs, both from the federal government as well as Texas (if that is where you live). I think your best bet is to go to the main site to read about the hundreds/thousands of programs listed, and the thousands of agencies that provide aid. One resource is, but once you get to the main site use the navigation bars of the left. There are agencies and charities that offer free health care (not just medicare), housing aid (such as the rapid rehousing program) and even work from home type jobs so you can increase your income. Anyway, here is a starting point for assistance programs for bills, rent, and housing needs.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... grams.html
abanker wrote:I have been unemployed since August 2007 (just before my 61st Birthday. Despite having post graduate degree and management experience have not found work in the last 4 years.

After exhausting unemployment benefits and all of my Savings and all assets/resources, I finally went bankrupt and then applied for Social Security Benefits early at age 62. My discounted benefits come to $773.00 at this time.

I have no assets like home, car etc., any more. I have not found suitable housing and currently stay as a paying guest at the rate of $150.00/week including utilities etc. That leaves me very little for other things like transportation, medicines and other expenses. I have applied for low income rental apartment in 77083 zip area but on a waiting list for over one year now.

I am not getting any other welfare or benefits or any kind of assistance from any Government or Private Agecies at this time and I do not know where to go for help.

I will be 65 on October 13, 2011 and will get Medicaare. I may be eligible for help to pay Part A & B or perhaps D if some one direct me where to apply. I also need housing as current arrangement as a paying guest $150.00 per week, although safe and in a private house, is kind of expensive for my budget/income and because it is just a verbal agreement and no paper support, I am not getting any Housing Choice Vouchers or any grant or other assistance to help pay for it.

In the past 38 years in Texas never had to look for financial or any other type assistance from any where.

Can some one possibly guide me and help me to find assistance for housing, work or what ever I may be eligible for from Government Agencies or Provate Foundations.
JennyMay12

Post by JennyMay12 »

my wife and i are both on social security and have 2 kids living with us one is 13 and one is 4, and due to being low income we fell behind in payments for our electricity and it was shut off and we where hoping we might get some help getting our electricity back on maybe a loan we can pay back over time or something, please let us know if you know of any help.
sincerely
Betty

Post by Betty »

I am 63, live alone, and the water bill (Orleans Parish) is over $100 monthly (!!!) I live in an all black residential area, in a habiat for Humanity little house...I do not use $100 worth of water!! The trash Bill here is $25 /month even though I am barely using anything. The water is outrageous...Where is that m oney going? I don't use much water! Something is NOT RIGHT. Please, help me, I have reason to worry.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Must be New Orleans? Is so, and if that is the case, then try here for assistance in New Orleans I know have been hit hard by all the crisises, such as Katrine, oil spills, and just overall weak environment, but people still do have some options and agencies they can call for help and advice, including the Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans. Probably can't help with trach bill, but they do have some emergency aid. The phone is 504-523-3755. Also, call your water company. What did they say about bill?
Betty wrote:I am 63, live alone, and the water bill (Orleans Parish) is over $100 monthly (!!!) I live in an all black residential area, in a habiat for Humanity little house...I do not use $100 worth of water!! The trash Bill here is $25 /month even though I am barely using anything. The water is outrageous...Where is that m oney going? I don't use much water! Something is NOT RIGHT. Please, help me, I have reason to worry.
Manning

Post by Manning »

Due to a second police involved domestic violence incident I was just forced to sign over guardianship of my daughter because I don't have a safe place for her to live. I don't have any family support so while reluctant, I agreed to place her in the care of her fathers sister. My daughter and I were living with her dad & his parents, whom served me with an eviction notice just prior to my daughter being taken from me. They, together with my daughters aunt & new temporary guardian, are creating a situation where I can't see my child unless I leave immediately. Today. And I have no where to go & not even a vehicle to sleep in. I've been isolated in this relationship for so long, I don't have anyone to turn to and my daughter's father doesn't have the means to help nor is he willing to help me in any way. I feel so helpless and afraid; all I want is to have a safe place for my daughter and I to call home & now I can't have her at all until I find a home. I have no money and no one to help. I just get social security disability from the state of Louisiana. I receive cash aid and food for my daughter however a drug felony from 8 years ago prevents me from personally getting assistance & also prevents both of us from qualifying for services such as section 8 & everything else I have found. For now I see no choice but to find a homeless shelter but I need to find an actual residence before I will be able to regain custody of my 20 month old daughter. It would be God sent if there were a program to help me get IN to a small, low-cost residence in so far as initial move in cost and assistance setting up utility deposits. If not, of course any other type of assistance would be greatly appreciated as well.
ILoveMyHorse

Post by ILoveMyHorse »

Dear Sir:
I am in a situation of losing and repossessing my car and late on other bills as well.
I have a little income from my temporary state disability, receiving food stamps and social security and currently homeless living in my car.
Can someone out there help me out on my desperate needs please?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If social security is not paying you enough, then may leverage that income stream to take out a loan. As there are some funds that may help you in the short term. But if you are homeless then that may be a challenge, as you will need a source of income. Also leverage your SNAP as collateral for the SSI loan as well.
ILoveMyHorse wrote:Dear Sir:
I am in a situation of losing and repossessing my car and late on other bills as well.
I have a little income from my temporary state disability, receiving food stamps and social security and currently homeless living in my car.
Can someone out there help me out on my desperate needs please?