How do I get out of living in my van?

Find how to get help with rent
Ramsey
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

How do I get out of living in my van?

Post by Ramsey »

I am a 26 year old college student. I attend San Bernardino valley college full time. For the last two weeks I have been living out of my van which isn’t even registered. I get my financial aid this Friday. But these last two weeks have been really hard and I am barely able to make it to my classes. Please I need some kind of help. Thank you.
Lady Leaving

Re: How do I get out of living in my van?

Post by Lady Leaving »

Hello,

My name is Rosa. I am 54 years old and I live in a shelter in Long Beach, CA nd sometimes in my van. I was issued an Emergency Housing Voucher, from the Housing Authority office, in Long Beach. My E.H.V., expires on 11/29/2022. I have been apartment hunting and I am in desperate need for financial assistance in securing permanent housing so I can stop living in my van or shelter. Unfortunately, the Housing Authority office does not assist with the Security Deposit. Could someone in your office please respond? I'm worried, about my E.H.V. expiring before being housed.
Prentis

Post by Prentis »

When I was 15 years old, my friends mom helped me get out of the horrible situation I was in at home. She helped me get emancipated and guided me to call section 8. I had to move into my van where I lived.
I will never forget how grateful I was when I got a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area literally the next week after my appointment with housing. I moved in and my rent was $34.00 during the 2 years I lived there my rent continued to go up because I was progressing as a person. I hitchhiked to school and my job I had. After 2 years, I was paying around $386 a month. I received a letter from housing thanking me for keeping the apartment in such immaculate condition after moving. I will never forget how lucky I was to not have to wait as long as I hear most people do. Maybe the lady who interviewed me saw something in me and helped me by giving me a chance.
Most people in my community would probably tell you she was right and she did a good thing by helping me because for 21 years now, I have dedicated my life to helping the less fortunate. I used to walk 45 mins to my job from my apartment. I started working as a caregiver at an Alzheimer's and Dementia lock down facility in yucca valley.
I continued and advanced into working as a senior manager at a homecare agency. I recruited and trained caregivers, placed them with clients, I ran the entire company at times. Over the years I've had the most complex difficult, extraordinary experiences with clients that most people would not be able to endure afterwards and yet I have continued growing.
I recently lost a client. I normally never am out of work. I constantly receive requests from people This time was different. In March I just could not seem to find anything secure and began doing temporary cases, so I was evicted and continued to live out of my van.
I worked at a skilled facility for a man who was in there who yelled all day all night after 8 days I waited to be paid and learned that I got scammed. The daughter never paid me and could not get a hold of her again. So on top of suddenly not having my regular 1500 a week , I now was out 3200 dollars. My rent is 2000 and month now raised to 2300. I live alone in a home that I'm so much at peace in. Suddenly all my bills piled up and finally securing a Job 2 hours away from home is hard to feel happy about because I'm so much in the hole I don't know how to get out of it. I am a sole proprietor and a woman living in a disadvantaged area (92256) and I can't even get a small business loan. I finally got my credit score up and now it's the lowest it's been.
I want you to know, I have called every phone number on the website for emergency financial assistance in San Bernardino county. I find it to be a slap in the face finding out at least 3 numbers were disconnected, many never answer their phones and some just refuse to acknowledge me worthy enough to ⁵t or1t5 message me back. The money they get is to help people not to ignore them. I work usually 94 hours a week. I love what I do. I strive hard to help my community. I have a lot of great ideas on how to offer the best quality care to seniors and yet there is no assistance for me. I have until June 1st to come up with 3800 dollars for my rent or I will have to move. I have nowhere to go. I have no one to go to. I have not been late on my rent in the 2 years I have lived there.
I am begging someone to please take a chance on me because the only thing that keeps me going is helping others and if I loose my rental, which I need to get out of this van. I'm going to fall in the worst kind of depression. It's bad enough I can't get help buying a home but being ignored by everyone I keep trying to reach out to is really hard. I can even pay back the money, I just need more time to get caught up. I never asked for a PP loan the entire time covid happened. I feel I'm worth helping out because your not only helping me out but you will be also helping out our senior citizens who I care for and do my best to give them the quality of life they deserve.
All the grant money that has been given to people to spread across the county with who need help is gone. No more money or closed sign ups. I please ask you to help me this on e time I need it. You never know maybe I I'll one day be caring for your loved one. I have also have provided free services for a selected amount of people who didn't have the money to pay so I just didn't charge them. I'm willing to volunteer and work for you guys, whatever you need. Please. You will be saving a life by helping me out this once.
Please, if nothing else, at least acknowledge me and yell me no you won't help because of whatever reason you may have. Please.
This did not sound at all professional and I apologize
Thank you for your time.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well, there are many shelters, transitional housing, and government programs, such as rehousing or section 8 from HUD. Use our main site to explore these. Maybe start here with online section 8 housing applications.
Clinicshipper

Post by Clinicshipper »

Hello,
I'm in Massachusetts, but I don't have a home.
I've been living in my van since May 2023 and need to get a place to live and out of this van. Someone who offered to help me really didn't mean it. I took her six-month offer to live in her house so I could rebuild after not sleeping for 15 years and losing my health and business. She displayed many dysfunctional behaviors immediately. My anxiety was back in two weeks. She screamed at me regularly for very minor things and glared at me if I was in the same room. She kicked me out for turning off her music while she was out washing her dog after six weeks. She laughed about it. It made her feel good to kick me out. I looked up her behavior. Covert narcissist. I've always had trouble seeing them coming.
I've had a lot of physical issues since beginning to recover from 15 years of not sleeping as living in a van is not the most comfortable. My connective tissue took a huge hit, along with my brain. As recently as October, my hands would swell up like water balloons if I did any work. Instant tendonitis. Carpentry was always my backup. I also shredded all the muscles between my shoulder blades. Hard work, not enough food. Grade two rips accompany a "significant loss of strength." I couldn't even hold a five-pound dumbbell. My fingers would just curl open. I've only recently been able to start looking for work. I was only able to do the smallest orders on Instacart all summer. I had to pick things up with my wrists and could barely push the carts. No way I could hold a basket. I'm 6 feet 185 lbs. I used to be very athletic and strong before this.
I'm behind on all the bills. I currently owe about $500. A new round is coming up.
I am finding day labor. My body is tolerating it better now that I'm ensuring I get enough protein and vitamins. However, while only making about $500-$800 a month, I've been falling behind steadily for a while. Food and gasoline use up a big chunk of what I make, even with food stamps. I have to eat pretty well or my body falls apart.
Can you help?
I'm applying for all kinds of jobs. I was a self-taught engineer in Denver. I developed industrial equipment, wrote my own patents, and loved it. But now with gaps in my resume and not living there where I had a network, that work is no longer accessible. I'm applying at Walmart and similar, but they all keep saying, "Next month."
Please let me know if there's any way you can help me get out of living in this van.
Thank you,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We do have information on deposit and rent help. But also try a transitional housing and you need income to get out of the van. Maybe move in with friends/family to gain stability, and look here for assistance for rent near you.
Clinicshipper wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:39 am Can you help?