We are living illegally in a storage unit

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
March
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

We are living illegally in a storage unit

Post by March »

My name is Amber, I am a Florida resident, single, 30 years of age with 2 minor children of my own and we now live in a storage rental unit.
My last place of employment was working for a doctor in Fort Myers, Lee County. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, 2 motor vehicle accidents and a lengthy process of physical therapy, I was forced to relocate to Avon Park/Sebring FL here in Highland County. My 2 children are well and for now they have gone to our hometown back in South Carolina to be with their Father & Family.
In the three months that I've been here in Highland County, I have applied for a wide variety of jobs. Due to having 0 family or friends out this way I have struggled to keep a roof over my head, and for the first time in my life I am homeless and only have a few articles of clothing to my name.
I arrived to this town with 6 containers packed full of clothes, shoes, electronics, books, photo albums, puzzles, my children's toys and their memorabilia from birth, our bedding, food, framed photos and canvases purchased from high end decor stores, my digital canon camera and the lens alone was worth 500$. Our Samsung computer and Microsoft surface pro laptop, as well as 5 phones all of which were paid off and kept safe for when I could afford to transfer pictures and videos on to my current device. Well over 8,000 photos and even a keepsake box with the little ones baby teeth, all of our belongings and important documents were tossed in the dumpster and or stolen.
I begged and pleaded with bystanders for help and while I know these are worldly possessions, it was still the only physical evidence and proof of our hard work and dedication as a family that was so carelessly tossed into the trashcan. There was birthdays and Christmases, blood, sweat and tears neatly packed into those containers.
My children are out of state as I mentioned, while they are upset I couldn't hold onto our belongings, they are safe with a roof over their head, with clothing and shoes, etc. They too live in the storage unit with me.
I was granted full custody of my 7 & 8 year old in 2018 & I am still trying to wrap my mind around how a pandemic and unfortunate car accidents some how managed to throw our whole life of the tracks.
I am desperately in need of hospitality and ready to receive help from those around me. We need to get out of the storage unit as it is not safe or legal.
Not only do I need clothing and to earn a living but I'm left puzzled at how I will manage without a vehicle and most importantly how to navigate through the upcoming days without my kids by my side.
We all have our lessons to learn and sometimes life won't always seem fair, this we know... However my family and I suffered with the loss of my firstborn child when he passed in 2011, and the road we've been traveling on has taken its toll. Even in the midst of our dismay we all somehow managed to turn a frown upside down, help others and repeatedly fixing one another's crown. There has been death, auto immune disorders, failed relationship and what felt like a mountain of missed opportunity.
Rarely do we watch the news and as of this past year due to the widespread of COVID-19 like symptoms we did start to feel isolated and set apart, just as we all came together and grieved the injustices surrounding the lives lost, kept, and overlooked, I had more hope prior to having lost it all.
If you can help in any way, help us get out of living illegally in the storage unit, I would greatly appreciate it. I have 0$ in my bank account and in addition to all that I've already mentioned above, I am spending my time trying to find transportation to go around town and file claims for items stolen/lost as well as working with the DMV and IRS to uncover fraudulent activity attached to my name and social security number.
If you would like to offer assistance or suggestions please do and may God bless you. Attached are saved images I just wanted to provide to show that I am hard working and determined to meet the needs of my family and those around me. I also have been working on building credit and creating unforgettable relationships based on mutual respect to set the foundation for one of my greatest investment's yet and that is starting my very first legitimate business. To the infinite future and beyond!
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: We are living illegally in a storage unit

Post by Admin »

Living in a storage unit in effect means you are homeless (as you indicated). This means you may be able to qualify for a rapid rehousing program. There are many to try. Look here for homeless prevention and rapid rehousing near you. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... nd_ra.html