A US citizen needs help but immigrant is with me

State and local government assistance programs.
Gia
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

A US citizen needs help but immigrant is with me

Post by Gia »

Hello, my name is Jacob, I live in Knoxville TN. I am a US citizen but my girlfriends is not - she is an immigrant waiting.
I contacted the Compassionate Community and saw your church group on a list of places that might be able to help. I am behind on rent and need assistance.
I live with my immigrant girlfriend, Jacqui, at the Montgomery Village Apartments, a KCDC apartment complex. Jacqui is listed as disabled by her doctors. We have tried applying for disability but were refused. Being that Jacqui is not a citizen of the US, any further application would give only small amounts of income from SSI. Yes, she has applied for Medicare and citizenship and is awaiting answers from those Federal departments.
Both of us are diabetic, Jacqui is on insulin and the cost has not been kind. Jacqui did have food stamps, but as of the last annual review, she was denied. This was roughly $200 a month, an amount that made getting her insulin possible. Also, our vehicle had to have the tires replaced. The tread came off of one and the other tires were showing bald spots and metal showing through.
Several weeks ago I was sick. I was afraid it was Covid. I went to a clinic and they diagnosed it as an upper respiratory infection. I work as a security guard at a metal foundry that makes rebar here in the Knoxville area. I am a US citizen who works hard.
I was told not to come back to work until I was cleared by a doctor and had a negative Covid test. With medication, I was out of work for 4 days. My schedule is 4 days, 2 8-hour shifts, and 2 12-hour shifts. An entire week of pay lost. The short term disability I have as coverage from work only becomes available after the start of the 3rd week of being out for medical reasons.
I know that it has been a hard year. It has been difficult for many people all over the world, including US people, immigrants and others. I am asking in the hope that either your organization can help me or point me to another that can help me in these trying times.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: A US citizen needs help but immigrant is with me

Post by Admin »

Catholic Charities often helps immigrants get citizenship and can provide you, a US citizen, with financial help. So they would cover both of your needs. There are many Catholic Charities churches in all states and cities, even TN. So try them for help for a citizen and immigrants, and find details on Catholic Charity programs here. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... ial_a.html