Near retirement

State and local government assistance programs.
Helen
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Near retirement

Post by Helen »

Dear Helpers,
We have a gentleman with whom we have developed a relationship. His health is declining, will need to retire soon and has a problem that is not contributing to his wellbeing. He is not concerned for himself but for the stressful situation involving his sister.
His sister has worked her life in cleaning, primarily, if not exclusively, in the restaurant industry.. Through the years she has been able to put aside sufficient resources to purchase her own home. Due to the pandemic, her place of employment closed and since then she not been able to find work, although she has submitted many applications. She is 55 years of age, strong and an excellent worker. Although she does not drive, her brother is willing and wants to provide all her to and from transportation needs.
He was given mortgage payment reprieve due to Covid but this is about to end, and as she has no income and cannot pay her mortgage, she will be losing her house. I have not spoken with her, but with her brother who is heart-sick as his sister has created a life-space for herself, the only precious thing she has, and will now lose it. I think her monthly payment is not exorbitant. I think her brother told me it is $585.00/month but I’m not sure if I have the amount right.
He wants to be able to work, even in retirement and as he nears it. He wanted to find work and needs assistance with this, but also if she were to receive mortgage assistance to cover her payment until she is employed, that would allow her to keep her home, and not find herself out on the street. Her brother also has worked in the food industry, and his income was also drastically reduced during the pandemic. As far as I’m able to discern, he doesn’t have the resources to cover her needs, and what he has for himself will be reduced even further when he retires.
r. Gary, who works in Providence, RI, comes to our Abbey on occasion and calls to say hello and ask for prayers, which is why I know his situation. He didn’t sound himself and when I asked why he said things weren’t good. Usually he is very upbeat, so I asked for him to explain if he wished and he told me. I thought to do a bit of research, and went to Catholic Charities RI, and the site directed me to yours and your email.
If you wish to speak with him, email. He also would have his sister’s contact information.
I am happy I have found a place which is at least a starting point to get help for someone near retirement. Thank you for your consideration. God bless you and all the good you do. I imagine it is for countless people.