My only money from SSDI and can't afford AC fix

Find grants and post ways to get grants to help others pay debts, bills, loans, and free money.
Jason Van Horn
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

My only money from SSDI and can't afford AC fix

Post by Jason Van Horn »

I'm sorry to bother you. I've tried to figure out who could help me replace my AC unit. It quit working 3 years ago. I'm 61 on SSDI in a 832 square ft house I owe $20k. I have a window air conditioner and I can't count the fans that don't cool it in the summer and 4 space heaters that keep it pretty warm in the winter except one room. A grant from SSDI for the AC fix would be great.
I had to hang curtains between the kitchen and living room to shorten square footage. I think if I was renting, they'd throw me in jail because I didn't have a working HVAC, if I let my dogs die of heat stroke or freeze they'd take them away, fine me and maybe throw me in jail if I didn't have a working HVAC, but who gives a I have heat stroke or freeze to death besides my dogs? The state would just get my house for the taxes, right? Is it a scam? I spent the last 3 months trying to qualify for a medical card or food, no one would help, always needed to bring more information back before some date. Denied a SSDI boost or grant for AC unit because of some stupid reasons. Oh, didn't qualify for food by $38. Really right?! So does anyone in Bowling Green or the State of Kentucky in the United States of American for a Disabled Psychiatric Registered Nurse know how I can replace an all-in-one 2 ton gas/heat electric/air heat pump if I have little money?
Just asking for assistance thanks.
Bowling Green KY 42101
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: My only money from SSDI and can't afford AC fix

Post by Admin »

We can direct you to resources, such as sometimes charities or non-profits (or even LIHEAP) will help to pay for an AC replacement. LIHEAP is a government grant program. Or maybe try a thrift store or Salvation Army center. The point being, there are AC programs out there for lower income households as well as people on disability. Learn more on low income AC replacement.
Jason Van Horn wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:49 am I'm sorry to bother you. I've tried to figure out who could help me replace my AC unit. It quit working 3 years ago. I'm 61 on SSDI in a 832 square ft house I owe $20k. I have a window air conditioner and I can't count the fans that don't cool it in the summer and 4 space heaters that keep it pretty warm in the winter except one room. A grant from SSDI for the AC fix would be great.
I had to hang curtains between the kitchen and living room to shorten square footage. I think if I was renting, they'd throw me in jail because I didn't have a working HVAC, if I let my dogs die of heat stroke or freeze they'd take them away, fine me and maybe throw me in jail if I didn't have a working HVAC, but who gives a I have heat stroke or freeze to death besides my dogs? The state would just get my house for the taxes, right? Is it a scam? I spent the last 3 months trying to qualify for a medical card or food, no one would help, always needed to bring more information back before some date. Denied a SSDI boost or grant for AC unit because of some stupid reasons. Oh, didn't qualify for food by $38. Really right?! So does anyone in Bowling Green or the State of Kentucky in the United States of American for a Disabled Psychiatric Registered Nurse know how I can replace an all-in-one 2 ton gas/heat electric/air heat pump if I have little money?
Just asking for assistance thanks.
Bowling Green KY 42101
Durham

Re: My only money from SSDI and can't afford AC fix

Post by Durham »

Recently my home air conditioner went out the outside unit. It is no longer repairable and won’t hold freon anymore, and I only live on SSI and need to fix the air conditioner or replace it.
I have been told by multiple companies it needs to be replaced as it will cost too much money to be fixed. I’m on a fixed income from social security. My daughter and my two grandchildren also live with me. My daughter is disabled and on a fixed income with social security disability. Both of our credits went bad when I had to help her whenever he disability took three years to get awarded.
So we have no means of getting anything financed for the air conditioner on my SSI income. and it can't be fixed without lots of money. We currently have three window units in all three bedrooms and are limiting ourselves to staying in the bedroom because of the size of the home they can’t cool the entire home. My daughters room stays warm because it’s larger even with the windows unit. My grandson has asthma and has been having problems with his asthma and has been getting sick a lot more since the air conditioner went out. We could make affordable payments towards a system but we can’t find any financing. My daughter recently had her car repossessed after her ex husband quit paying child support and he says he would just rather sign his rights away. So that put her in a position of not being able to afford her car payments anymore. This has in turn with the air conditioner being out our fruits keep spoiling because it’s so hot in the house the fridge isn’t working right it keeps defrosting Etc.
I’ve contacted all the local places I could find and couldn’t find any assistance for a new AC for someone on SSI. Do you have any ideas? Thanks so much I’m at a lost . Especially since we live as far south as you can go in Alabama right next to Florida and the temperatures can get unbearable!!
Thanks
Deborah