Want to earn a living as an artist

Ways to increase your income or make money.
TimMac
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Want to earn a living as an artist

Post by TimMac »

It is my earnest desire to make a living as an artist and no longer need the various programs I am on... SSI, Cal Fresh, Section 8
The challenge is to not have "the rug pulled out from under me before I can get on my feet" as an artist.
My plan is to create a body of artwork of 20-30 paintings over a period of 1.5 years in an office studio space in my local town (Fortuna). Once I have that art created I can then market that work nationally or internationally, start making the income that would allow me to leave the programs. The first step is to raise the money needed to rent the office space. Since last fall, I have attempted to raise that money myself with a business venture, but so far my business COSTS have been about double any income raised. I'm in the process of filling out the forms with all that paperwork.
Another option is to get a LOAN from a family member. I would have a signed agreement that it is indeed a loan that must be paid back in full.
When I asked my Section 8 worker, she told me that such a loan would be treated as INCOME and calculated as such when re-evaluating how much rent assistance I get.
How is this logical or fair? Treating a LOAN as income is the same as saying available credit on a credit card is also considered INCOME. It also means that Section 8 would effectively be collecting from the same funds TWICE. First when they treat the loan amount as income, then when I have actual income by selling an original painting in the amount equivalent to pay back the loan.
Is there an agency I can turn to for help that has Jurisdiction over Section 8?