No health insurance as in poverty

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
JMichales
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

No health insurance as in poverty

Post by JMichales »

To Whom It May Concern:
My name is Lisa. I am emailing you from Oklahoma and with a prayer that someone here can help. It is in regards to my sister, Mary who living in poverty and has no health insurance, whom I love dearly. Around five months ago she was diagnosed with colon cancer. Since being diagnosed she has been unable to work. She qualified for assistance with her chemo and radiation treatment which she recently completed. According to her plan of treatment, once she finished those treatments, she was to wait around six weeks for swelling to go down, then she is to have surgery to remove the tumor. Yesterday she consulted with a surgeon at UAB in Tulsa. We found out that she has not one tumor, but two. The surgeon ordered a colonoscopy. She needs that test performed before the surgeon can proceed.
The dilemma we are facing is that the hospital where we live in Florence, AL is refusing to do the test, despite having a physician willing to perform the test, because she has no insurance. Sadly, like many people, she falls under the class of people of which hospitals and physicians detest and steer away from - uninsured due to poverty.
Her disability claim is pending, but as I'm sure you are aware that can be a lengthy process. Her case worker assured her today that she would have the determination by the end of the year. My fear is if her claim is denied and we have to hire an attorney and appeal the decision, that she doesn't have the time to wait for the length of time it takes to do this. My understanding with disability claims, they are almost always denied on the initial filing.
Time is not a factor for my sister. Something needs to be done now. I love my sister dearly. If I could I would give her my colon. She has worked so hard her entire life. Although society classifies her lower class and a person of poverty, that does not make her insignificant. She is a loving mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend who loves life and deserves the right to treatment just as much as your high class citizens.
If you can, I beg you to refer us to someone or an organization that may be able to help us. We would be go grateful for any assistance that you can provide.
The qualifications for Medicaid in this state has drastically changed over the years. She has to be on disability or SSI before being approved for Medicaid, even though she lives in poverty and has no health insurance. It seems almost impossible to receive aid in Oklahoma.
This is a life or death situation. Her being turned away because of her inability to pay is not only morally wrong, it is unethical. The oaths these doctors take no longer has meaning.
I thank you for your time.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: No health insurance as in poverty

Post by Admin »

Walking around without health insurance is risky. But it is costly, especially for people in poverty. Oklahoma is one of the worst states when it comes to coverage. However look here for free health insurance programs.

JMichales wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:07 am To Whom It May Concern:
My name is Lisa. I am emailing you from Oklahoma and with a prayer that someone here can help. It is in regards to my sister, Mary who living in poverty and has no health insurance, whom I love dearly. Around five months ago she was diagnosed with colon cancer. Since being diagnosed she has been unable to work. She qualified for assistance with her chemo and radiation treatment which she recently completed. According to her plan of treatment, once she finished those treatments, she was to wait around six weeks for swelling to go down, then she is to have surgery to remove the tumor. Yesterday she consulted with a surgeon at UAB in Tulsa. We found out that she has not one tumor, but two. The surgeon ordered a colonoscopy. She needs that test performed before the surgeon can proceed.
The dilemma we are facing is that the hospital where we live in Florence, AL is refusing to do the test, despite having a physician willing to perform the test, because she has no insurance. Sadly, like many people, she falls under the class of people of which hospitals and physicians detest and steer away from - uninsured due to poverty.
Her disability claim is pending, but as I'm sure you are aware that can be a lengthy process. Her case worker assured her today that she would have the determination by the end of the year. My fear is if her claim is denied and we have to hire an attorney and appeal the decision, that she doesn't have the time to wait for the length of time it takes to do this. My understanding with disability claims, they are almost always denied on the initial filing.
Time is not a factor for my sister. Something needs to be done now. I love my sister dearly. If I could I would give her my colon. She has worked so hard her entire life. Although society classifies her lower class and a person of poverty, that does not make her insignificant. She is a loving mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend who loves life and deserves the right to treatment just as much as your high class citizens.
If you can, I beg you to refer us to someone or an organization that may be able to help us. We would be go grateful for any assistance that you can provide.
The qualifications for Medicaid in this state has drastically changed over the years. She has to be on disability or SSI before being approved for Medicaid, even though she lives in poverty and has no health insurance. It seems almost impossible to receive aid in Oklahoma.
This is a life or death situation. Her being turned away because of her inability to pay is not only morally wrong, it is unethical. The oaths these doctors take no longer has meaning.
I thank you for your time.