Shelters that separate men and women

Find how to get help with rent
Syrum
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Shelters that separate men and women

Post by Syrum »

To whom it may concern,  I am reaching out to you today because I'm not sure where else to turn for a same * shelter. Here is my situation. My husband and I have fallen on hard times and we have become homeless.  Family pulled together and got us a hotel room for a week. But no longer. Now all the shelters we see would divide us between women and men. Come Sunday at 11am we will not have anywhere to go. We are staying at the Cove Motel in Hamilton and it cost $250 a week.  I have called the homeless shelter here in Hamilton and they don’t accept married couples into the shelter.   My husband has some problems and I am trying to apply for SSI.  He has severe behavioral disabilities on top of other mental and physical problems.  He has severe mixed bipolar manic depressive with PTSD.  He also has separation anxieties and panic attacks which makes it difficult for me to maintain a job, he would walk to my work, almost 8 miles,  and sit in the parking lot till I got off.    
I've heard of another shelter in Middletown but they separate the men and the women in different locations.  We have no minor children so family shelters won’t take us either. So, I ask what can we do?  There are no shelters for us to turn to that will keep us together.  With my husband’s mental state, we can't be separated.  We've been married almost 8 years and he wasn’t always this bad he has been thru a lot in the past few years and his condition has worsened as a result.  If there is any kind of help you could offer us we would greatly appreciate it.  I just don’t understand why shelters won’t help keep married couples together.  It's like we're being punished for being married. Please help us keep us together.   You may email us back but we would prefer a phone call.      Thank you for your time and we hope to hear from you soon
Flow
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Re: Shelters that separate men and women

Post by Flow »

I'm a single homeless disabled no fault evicted female who is wondering what type of assistance I qualify for. i also need a shelter that separates women. My own research turned up nothing. I can't go to my local shelter if not women only as I was robbed, sexually harassed, verbally abused and treated poorly by staff. I live either on the street or when I get my SSDI check, motels. I've been living this since October of 2015. It's taking a toll on me. I can't possibly save for first last and security and I'm desperately in need of safe housing. I can barely afford the monthly rent. Please help me.