Teacher sick and behind on rent

Find how to get help with rent
Wrangler
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Teacher sick and behind on rent

Post by Wrangler »

My wife and I are Detroit Public School Employee's. My wife's health took a turn for the worse at the beginning of 2012. She became disabled in August 2012 due to her copd/emphezema, she is no longer able to work. She has battled this disease in the past, and is currently on oxygen, 24 hours a day. We have rented this upper flat in Northwest Detroit.

My landlord was very understanding and allowed additional time to acquire the money for rent. He couldn’t wait any longer and filed an eviction for the rent. He stated that he would hate to lose us as tenants but there was no other option for him. My wife and I, filed for State Emergency Relief, but the application was denied. The response letter stated: unaffordable housing. What an odd determination considering the fact that when we where both working we could afford the rent.
My wife, who is 45 years of age has worked in the classroom for Detroit Public Schools. I, (52 years of age) have worked as a nurse for 10 years. With only my part time income from the board, there was no way we could pay any bills. We became in arrears, by 4 months, (1,900 dollars).
My wife has filed for disability Social Security, no telling how long, before that is approved. My wife is also filing for her retirement from Detroit Public Schools, which takes time to process. All my wife and I, are asking, is a temporary helping hand until we can get through this rough patch. My wife and I have worked hard all our lives, and we have never experience a dilemma like this before. That’s the problem with life, there are times you are dealt a devastating blow, and it is very difficult to recover. Even a payment of 1 or 2 months would show the landlord that we are making it.
Siline

Re: Teacher sick and behind on rent

Post by Siline »

I have an apartment but am in need of emergency rental assistance, short term. I'm working as a teacher but am also in school for graduate degree. My state is Arizona, and my city is Tucson. If you have any specific info that could help me I would really appreciate it!
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Hello, I am currently a student at Portland State University. I am having problem paying for rent and I don't want to drop out of school because I am having financial difficulties. My sister, who is a teacher here, use to pay the rent but she also decided to move so now I am all alone and I do not have any family to support me, all my families are located in West Africa.
Combs

Post by Combs »

To Whom It May Concern,
I am special education teacher that will not be getting my August paycheck until the end of September because the district transferred me. But, I need money by the 28th for rent and bills. I have prayed and been trying to figure out other solutions, but I am desperate, I have applied for many loans and have not heard back from them.
Anything will help my rent that’s is due by the 1st is $325, my electrical bill is $78.00 and my cables is $125. And some other little bills I need help with. If anyone can point me in the right direction for rent help that would be amazing! My cable and electric bill is due by Friday. So, anything helps.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

While there are not any specific housing programs focused just on teachers, they too can apply for all of the different resources available. As there are many ways to get help with rent, and each one may be used. Also, try talking to your school for advice. Many there are some local agencies that focus on educators. Also, if it is a timing issue, be sure to tell that to the agencies you apply at for rental assistance, as they are more likely to assist if it is just "timing" of you waiting on a check.
Francheska

Post by Francheska »

I am a teacher in GA. I am paid ten months a year but got sick. My husband does not have work. We have four children. This summer I can work in daycare and make $600 a month for June and July until school starts back and I can teach again in August. Our rent is $1000.00 a month, which is hard as a teacher. I need help finding a way to pay rent in June and July if possible because my family cannot live off of $600 a month for two months. I am praying for a miracle and God bless anyone who might be able to help us. Thank you for reading this. Sincerely,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well your husband needs to work. Sorry to hear you are sick. As far as resources, find financial help in Glynn County Georgia. if you will be working again your chances for financial help for rent and bills will be increased.
Francheska wrote:I am a teacher in GA. I am paid ten months a year but got sick. My husband does not have work. We have four children. This summer I can work in daycare and make $600 a month for June and July until school starts back and I can teach again in August. Our rent is $1000.00 a month, which is hard as a teacher. I need help finding a way to pay rent in June and July if possible because my family cannot live off of $600 a month for two months. I am praying for a miracle and God bless anyone who might be able to help us. Thank you for reading this. Sincerely,