Programs that provide crutches

Help with paying medical bills
Troyyer
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Programs that provide crutches

Post by Troyyer »

Hello, I am the mother of two boys (15 and 18 years old) with Cerebral Palsy. They are on SS benefits, go to college (full time), pay rent and all their bills. They have used "forearm" crutches to walk more than half their life. They take 4 buses to and from school everyday. The crutches that we get from the medical supplies store are expensive and very cheaply made, it never fails that within months of buying them they fall apart, also the "tips" are so cheap my sons are constantly slipping and falling here in northern Florida during hurricane season (which is 7 months out of the year). We go back and forth with the "stores" constantly because these VITAL pieces of equipment that my sons CANNOT walk without are faulty and Medicare considers them a "cosmetic" device and won't pay or even help pay for them. The downside is they cost over $900.00. It beats sending back the crutches after 2-3 months of use (never fails) as we have been doing for over 8 years or so. I am not asking, I am begging you to Please help us or steer me in the right direction of someone/someplace that can. We are at our wit's end about this. Without these crutches my sons' cannot walk. They are pretty much their "lifeline". Thank You and God Bless!!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Programs that provide crutches

Post by Admin »

Not maybe not a "program", but try a loaner type service. Some clothing banks have crutches. Or try a medical loan closet. They often give equipment for a defined period of time to clients. Maybe crutches, wheelchairs, and similar goods. Then when you feel better you need to return the item to the center. As you only borrow it for a short period of time.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello,
I am inquiring about assistance for multiple financial crises. I have a rare bone disease and recently had surgery to fix a broken femur and am now on crutches. I cannot work and have been receiving disability benefits since 2012. Unable to afford the multiple situations stated below.
1. My 11 year old car has broken down and was given an older car from a family member to replace my car. Unfortunately that car also broke down in the two days I used it. I do not have any transportation in which to get to doctor appointments, physical therapy twice a week, and normal transportation uses. Is there any help in which to get a vehicle for myself and family?
2. As stated in this email, I have had surgery for a broken leg from my rare bone disease. I am currently using a walker but I now need forearm crutches to use. I have inquired the cost for these at Bay Medical in Traverse City MI and my costs after insurance is $75.00. I am very short so I do need crutches that are my size so I am unable to get them from any charities. I cannot afford the $75.00. Is there any assistance in which to receive my size crutches I need to increase mobility and daily living?
3. I also need assistance for a mattress that I can access with my crutches. I do not have a mattress and I am in desperate need for this. I am still healing from my surgery and am very uncomfortable sleeping and testing on the floor. Is there any assistance for this situation?
Thank you very much. I await your response.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There is something called durable medical equipment. It may have supplies for the disabled or injured, crutches, wheelchairs, and many other items. You can find about about the program and service here, at durable medical equipment sites. Most counties have some place to go for these items.