SSI disabled car programs - both repairs and new ones

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Batman
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

SSI disabled car programs - both repairs and new ones

Post by Batman »

I work with many low income families that are either on SSI/Disability or other. Many of them either have vehicles that need repaired or they do not have one to start with. Many of the families also depend on community resources to survive. I am looking for any information that I can get regarding ALL programs offered in my area. I am in the Breckinridge County, Hardinsburg Kentucky area. Any help is appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: SSI disabled car programs - both repairs and new ones

Post by Admin »

There are many free transportation programs for the disabled. Now while we doubt they will be given a car, more likely will be a ride to a medical appointment or some other local trip. But they may come with a small fee...usually to cover gasoline or wear and tear on the car. But a disabled person on SSI can use that check to pay for it. The fee may only be a few bucks, and sometimes is voluntary as well.
Batman wrote:I work with many low income families that are either on SSI/Disability or other. Many of them either have vehicles that need repaired or they do not have one to start with. Many of the families also depend on community resources to survive.
Ditka1

Post by Ditka1 »

Hello,
I am a 60 years young, disabled and have been unemployed since August 3, 2012.
I have been applying for jobs and going on interviews but now I'm not able to go on interviews as my car has developed a problem within the transmission and will cost approximately $1,400 to repair. The small family I have is not able to help me.
My unemployment benefit is $234 which covers my basic monthly expenses, including my modest mortgage, but doesn't allow for a costly repair on my car which is a 2005 Jeep with 103,600 miles.
Any guidance you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated!
Patriots

Post by Patriots »

HHR and there is something wrong with the front end.
It makes a loud noise and vibrates. Someone told me it sounds like a CV axel problem. I don't know. But I need this car for doctor’s appointment for myself and for my mother.
We both live on a small SSI and SSDI income. Is there anyone who can help us. What money we make has to go into house hold bills. I don't know anything about cars and certainly don't have money to get it fixed so if there is help out there please help me.
Sincerely
Patriots

Post by Patriots »

I'm 53 and disabled I live in Millsboro Delaware. I take care of my 85 year old mother by myself. I have a 2006 Chevy HHR and there is something wrong with the front end.
It makes a loud noise and vibrates. Someone told me it sounds like a CV axel problem. I don't know. But I need this car for doctor’s appointment for myself and for my mother.
We both live on a small SSI and SSDI income. Is there anyone who can help us. What money we make has to go into house hold bills. I don't know anything about cars and certainly don't have money to get it fixed so if there is help out there please help me.
Sincerely
Ronimo

Post by Ronimo »

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport V6 3.3L. I am on SSDI and am raising my grandson. I just found out yesterday when I had the oil changed and they did they inspection while they were rotating the tire. I need Brake Pads in front and back and Rotors in the front. The place I went said it would be $350 to fix it. I can't afford that. It would take me months to get the money and I'm afraid the brakes will give out before I get the money to fix it. I don't have family members that are in a position to help.
I live in Lancaster Ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated
FamilyHelp

Post by FamilyHelp »

Hi. I have a car that needs work to get back on the road. I am on SSI disability and have a small part-time job that I need to work nights for. I am hesitant taking a late night bus home from work and then walking home alone in my neighborhood. Is there anywhere I can turn for help with car repairs?
MarryM

Post by MarryM »

I'm disabled and live on SSI. I am in need to get my vehicle fix and a bill paid off. When I brought my vehicle I did not know it was going to take about 3500 to fix it up, after I already paid that much for it and got rip off. I went to a lawyer on it, also motor vehicle department, and they that there was nothing could be done, you brought the vehicle as is. Which SUCKS!!! Now I need help. I need this vehicle for running to the doctor appointment for health reasons which is why I am on disability. SSDI check does not goes when need your vesicle fix up. HELP!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well, you can try one of the free car programs. Yes, some are for the disabled. But some are offered by other charities too. they may have info on how to fix your car too...but 3500 is a lot of money for a charity to pay up and chances of getting it are close to zero.
MarryM wrote:I'm disabled and live on SSI. I am in need to get my vehicle fix and a bill paid off. When I brought my vehicle I did not know it was going to take about 3500 to fix it up, after I already paid that much for it and got rip off. I went to a lawyer on it, also motor vehicle department, and they that there was nothing could be done, you brought the vehicle as is. Which SUCKS!!! Now I need help. I need this vehicle for running to the doctor appointment for health reasons which is why I am on disability. SSDI check does not goes when need your vesicle fix up. HELP!
The Monster

Post by The Monster »

Hello, my name is Debbie, I'm 61 years old and all alone on SSI disability and can't afford to pay to make car repairs, I managed to pinch and save for over a year to buy a car and when I found one I could afford the guy lied to me and put lubricant in bearings, so I wouldn't know they were bad. I'm stuck with a 2001 Mazda 626 with $700.00 worth of work needed before I can drive and see my son, I really need to be where my son is, I have no one else. The world today is uncaring and heartless. I was taken advantage of and I can't get help to take him to court so I'm stuck. I have a three day trip permit because I can't afford to change the title and I don't think it's even a legal title, I found out it's not his car, his wife tried to forge the signature, it's a mess, I need some help please.
sam1

Post by sam1 »

Greetings!
I was online searching for any possible help with finding a car for people on SSI.  I do not know anyone here in GA anymore and not having a car is an incredible problem for me.  I cannot get to doctor's appointments that I desperately need, etc.
Seven years ago, my car was stolen.  My daughter loaned me the money for that car, and it was a salvaged titled car but it worked fine.  I paid her $100.00 per month until it was paid back ($1,400 total).  This is the car that was stolen.  She is no longer able to help me again.
I have found one place where I can live on my own and it is a trailer park in Cedartown, GA.  However, I still cannot find anyone willing to work with me on purchasing a used vehicle for the disabled with limited income from SSI.  I have tried every way I know of and to no avail.  All three of my older kids live in NC, which is where I lived since 1989.
The long and short of it is, living on disability ($833.00 per month) does not allow me anything extra to even hope to make a car payment.  This is why I am asking for help.
Does your organization help people like me on SSI get cars?  Do you know somewhere else that I can also check with?
I know no one here and for a while made a friend who helped me get out and get groceries once a month, but she moved away over a year ago.  Since then, I pay the maintenance man here to take me to the store and then later pick me up and help me inside with my groceries.
Please feel free to call me to discuss this. If, for some reason, do not answer, please leave me a message and I will call you back.
Stubaker

Post by Stubaker »

Hello, I am looking for information on any programs assisting with cost for automotive repairs for someone on SSI.
I am a disabled father of 2 along with my wife who does not drive and suffers from disabilities. We have for the past 2 years been struggling to recover after spending a short period of time homeless in December 2019 living in expensive motels using up all our financial resources while looking for a home to rent. In February of 2020 we found a home but knew that our vehicle needed major repairs back then. Now that its 2021 our van has finally forced us to take it in and with all the safety issues that the mechanic has informed us of the cost of getting our family vehicle back in driving condition has added up to $3,500 in repair cost.
Our family is in a state of suspension our vehicle is the very life line of our family's quality of life we live in an area that requires us to use automotive transportation especially for me because of my mobility issues that severely limit me. I have numerous medical appointments monthly along with my wife and her clinical appointments. We have arranged with the automotive center to tackle the different repairs in stages and cost, the first of which we have already covered for the sum of $1'125 which has taken our entire monthly deposit. To be honest we will go into complete poverty if we continue to use all that we have just to cover the cost of getting our van into driving condition. But I see no other way we need our vehicle as we only live on SSI and do not have enough for the repairs. If you have any information that could give us a life line My family and I would most appreciate it thank you,
Pertyio

Post by Pertyio »

Hi,
I am disabled since 1997 and on SSI. I recently had the car I worked getting taken back I worked so hard at cleaning up my credit after a brutal divorce where I lost everything, but I was finally able to buy my own car even while being on SSDI disability.
My 33 year old son passed away in 2021. I couldn’t concentrate on the last class I had left to graduate with a Bachelors degree and am at the end of financial assistance as far as I know after attempting to take that class 3 times but having to drop out.
Due to the loss of student loan refunds, my rent raised yearly despite getting rental help, my bills started becoming unaffordable since my son died. I have searched and searched for help! My car was repossessed and I need to get it back! I’ve been taking the bus but with my knees being so bad, I’m going to fall either getting on or off it. I currently go to a clinic weekly for help managing my other issues with pain. I will not be able to work now or in the future due to physical and mental issues-PTSD from child abuse & other issues by my parents, chronic depression, panic attacks & anxiety on top of the physical disabilities. I desperately need my car back and access to a SSI disability car program. I have lost my independence and am slipping further into depression. I also need to move by June 30th because the landlord doesn’t like getting paid by USDA after the 3rd of the month, so he is raising the rent so high I’ll never be able to pay. I really want to move anyway. Every week the police are pounding on the apartment next door! I swear I’m going to have a nervous breakdown with everything that is happening all at once. Having my car towed away was the last straw. The good news is I have time to get it back if I can pay the fees. I don’t know how to do that without help. I have no family. My kids are grown & have their own issues. I don’t have any friends either. I’ve isolated myself due to a divorce that took everything from me...
Can anyone please refer me to find financial help to get my car back? How am I going to move? I had planned to move to a warmer climate to help ease some of my pain. But I can’t walk there! I need help! Help moving my things and my own car to drive myself and my cat to find new apartments in another state..I have nothing left here but bad memories really...
Any info for a new car for people on SSI would be greatly appreciated. I just adopted out my dog yesterday because I don’t need her to suffer when it’s time to move plus I was getting too depressed to give her the attention she deserved.
Email is best right now since I’ve gotten a lot of spam applying for loans that I’ve been turned down for. I even started a GoFundMe campaign, but I don’t know anyone & anyone on social media are people I really don’t know! I’m really in a rut here...and I can’t get out of it on my own.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are programs that provide people with a free car, but of course they are rare and hard to get. Also, getting an accessible vehicle may be even harder. But try a main resources for details on dealerships, charities, and other groups that give out a car, and look here for information on how to get a free car.