Looking for help for my brother

State and local government assistance programs.
Coastal
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Looking for help for my brother

Post by Coastal »

Hello,
I am writing on behalf of my brother who lives in Salt Lake, Utah.  He is 45 years old.  He has been unemployed for over a year.  He currently lives in an apartment with a monthly rent of $580 which includes utilities.  He has no income, my sister and I have been paying his rent this past year and have nearly exhausted our ability to continue to do so.
He is not in good health now, he has one kidney (having donated one to his sister in his early thirties).  This year, he has had several major medical issues.  In January, he had 4 stints placed in his heart.  He managed to qualify for Medicaid, but it's limited. 
After his release from the hospital, he was nearly struck on his bicycle and ended up with numerous fractured ribs and a injured shoulder.  Soon afterwards, he was diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysms.  On March 15th, he underwent surgery for that condition and was not well after the surgery.  He spent many days in ICU, on a ventilator and dialysis and has had a mini stroke that has impacted his vision in one eye.  Today, the hospital transferred him to a rehab center, which he is expected to receive dialysis, physical and speech therapy for at least the next two weeks.
He is receiving 'food stamps'.  As I said, my sister and I have been supporting him financially for months to make sure he did not become homeless.  We cannot keep this up indefinitely.  The doctors won't sign any temporary disability papers because he must be 'totally disabled' (unable to do 'anything') for at least 12 weeks.  Each of his conditions have kept him disabled, but magically they don't last more than 11 weeks, according to the doctors.
I have contacted an attorney firm in Utah who specialized in Social Security disability, but the say he does not qualify for assistance because he must be "disabled' for at least one year, and that is 'per disability'.  Apparently SS says a combination of health issues doesn't qualify, it must be 'one disability'.  
We have tried everywhere in Utah to find some financial help, to no avail.  Without my sister and I footing the bill for his rent, bus passes and the rest, he would be homeless right now, and likely deceased.  Because he is in a rehab facility right now, I am, once again, attempting to locate ANY financial assistance for him, such as covering his rent for a while or something.  I'm about to give up on any possibility of anyone helping my brother.  It doesn't seem right for someone to work his entire adult life, and can't get help from any agency or program in Utah.
He may not be "totally disabled", but even when released from rehab, he has significant restrictions, can't lift more than 5 lbs, he still needs dialysis (although the doctors are guessing this will be short term as his kidney returns to functioning again) and frankly, WHO is going to hire him if he could even find a job?  No one.  Let's be honest, here.  He has no minor children living in his home.  
So, I'm asking you...what is available for him?
Yaneliz Montanez

Re: Looking for help for my brother

Post by Yaneliz Montanez »

Please see my family's (brother) need and see if there is any way possible we can get help with keeping our lights on?
They probably will cut him off tomorrow.
Morgan County Alabama. Also on mortgage assistance we are in a very big need.
Thank you so much for your time and help.
Butter

Post by Butter »

This month my brother needs help paying rent and electric! Both of our husband hit a deer in his truck and we just had to pay for breaks, and tires for my car. The tires were bad and the Val stem kept making the tire pop. My car is the only running vehicle we have right now so my husband is currently the only one working right now.
We receive food stamps as well those also got messed up the other day, and we are in the means of figuring out what happened. So I had to buy groceries yesterday and fix my car. We have three small children and aren't sure what we are going to do if we can’t get help with rent and electric this month.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, there are some charities that offer both mortgage and light bill help in the county of Morgan. Both government aid and/or foreclosure counseling may be used, depends on funding and exact need. Try the assistance programs here though. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... rogr4.html
Yaneliz Montanez wrote:Please see my family's (brother) need and see if there is any way possible we can get help with keeping our lights on?
They probably will cut him off tomorrow.
Morgan County Alabama. Also on mortgage assistance we are in a very big need.
Thank you so much for your time and help.