VA pension not enough for my utilities

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Puff
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

VA pension not enough for my utilities

Post by Puff »

I am trying to find assistance, or direction to programs where I can apply for assistance to keep my water and electric from being turned off. I am a single mother of 4 boys (ages 10, 8, 4 and 15). We moved here in an effort to be closer to a support network such as my church and family members. I am undergoing treatments at the local Biloxi VA Hospital. I have a terminal form of cancer called ‘multiple myeloma’, and I am on a maintenance regime of chemotherapy pill that I take everyday to suppress the cancer growth. I suffer from side effects, and spine problems due to a canceare that developed and fractured my neck. I receive social security disability payments, and I am trying to get my financial aid started through my GI Bill because I attend school online full time, in efforts to find some way of providing a supplemental income. I will also start receiving a small VA pension after this month as well, but all the benefits have taken some time to get started.
We have suffered much financial strain from our move in December, and every month up until now has been playing catch up to the months previously. It seems that no matter what I do, each time I get paid, I can barely keep my head above water, much less try to pay ahead as I would prefer to do.
My girls started school, so they also had school clothes and supplies that I had to get, and we have our normal grocery expenses. So far I have turned off my cell phone service, my home phone, internet, and I have several high interest loans that have sustained me up until now, but now they are all catching up and I have no resources at this time to pay for my electric or my water, which could be turned off at any time now. I depend on the internet for my college classes, but have managed to handle my course load at the public library in the meantime.
When my student loan money arrives, I can pay back as much as possible, and I plan on sticking to the necessary budget for expenses. I will also receive child support next month. Right now, I have far exceeded what is coming in, and am asking for emergency assistance to keep my utilities on. Can you please direct me to the proper place?
natasha

Re: VA pension not enough for my utilities

Post by natasha »

We (my nephew, he's 21 and a veteran, and myself) are facing eviction from our apartment. I've already found us a HUD apartment. But we are in need of deposit and rent being paid. I have no income-disability has been applied for 4 1/2 years ago (now in appeals court). My nephew is taking care of me via his VA pension he receives from his mother who died 7 years ago and he is also in college and needs his money for school. His car is also needs repair since October 28, 2017 it hasn't moved. I am at the end of my rope because there seems to be no help for us at all. Please can someone point me in the right direction.
Heart1

Post by Heart1 »

Am a disabled veteran with two service-connected injuries but no percentage with the VA at this point? I am currently awaiting resolution of my claims process on my pension and experiencing extreme financial hardship with my utilities. My husband is currently unemployed but has been looking for work with the aid of career counselors for the past three months. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.
Candia

Post by Candia »

I am going to be homeless at the end of this month. I have found a place to rent but I need first ninths rent and deposit on apartment and they have the utilities on and ask that I apply some funds to this when I move in. I just did not have this kind of money you rent a place from my VA pension. I cannot get HUD because they have a waiting list to get HUD assistance. I am searching for someone to help me, a former veteran, with utilities. I am on oxygen all the time so I have you be in a stable place if you cannot help me could you please tell me where to go for help thank you and god bless you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If you have a pension and are a veteran, many utility companies have special hardship programs. Find aid, payment plans, disconnection prevention laws and rules and more. Find them here, at programs to help pay utility bills.
Be sure to mention the veteran status too to your light, electric, or gas company.