Disabled from heart attack

State and local government assistance programs.
BarbaraB
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Disabled from heart attack

Post by BarbaraB »

My mother recently had a heart attack and spent over a month in the hospital and is now disabled and unable to walk so she cannot work. She still needs open heart surgery when she gets strong enough. My father has taken a reduced schedule at work because someone must be with her at all times and he cannot afford to pay someone to stay with her.
She has been denied disability and Medicaid. I have been paying for her hundreds of dollars in prescriptions and helping with bills but she needs a wheelchair ramp because we have to carry her down several sets of steps to get her out for her Dr. Appointments. They cannot currently afford to do this even though she is going to need to start weekly Dr. Visits and rehab to see if she will ever be able to walk again.
My parents are really good people and I would like to do whatever I can to try to help them. I really hate to ask for help but I am at that point now. Is there any help that you can provide in a situation like this? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.
Phyllis

Re: Disabled from heart attack

Post by Phyllis »

We relocated to Texas from Ohio back in August for my job. 3 months later...they shut my company down. Due to the short time living in Texas...I do not qualify for unemployment and also had a heart attack. We desperately need short term rent assistance until I find a job. This move has caused a major amount of stress for us...especially our 8 year old son. We cannot move him again or switch schools. This would be a temp assistance situation. Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disabled from heart attack

Post by Admin »

There are several assistance programs in McLennan, but they may require people to live there/be residents longer than 3 months. But you can apply for help and see what can get.
Phyllis wrote:We relocated to Texas from Ohio back in August for my job. 3 months later...they shut my company down. Due to the short time living in Texas...I do not qualify for unemployment and also had a heart attack.