Senior section housing solutions

Find how to get help with rent
MrWilliams
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Senior section housing solutions

Post by MrWilliams »

I am writing concerning getting the section 202 for my Mother. My Father, who just died on August 29th and was buried on Saturday September 8, 2014, was a veteran. He did 21 years in the air force and four in the army. He died of cancer to his lungs and his kidneys and bone cancer. They were all stage four cancers.
He had signed up for the section 8 program and I guess he is still on the waiting list, but my Mother cannot afford to pay for the apartment they were living in and we do not know what she is going to do. She really needs housing help. I was told veterans had first preference. We have tried everything to get housing for her. What can we do this is an emergency? We have all of the information on his death and his military service.
sasolis

Re: Senior section housing solutions

Post by sasolis »

Not sure what County/State you are in you need to contact the local housing authority for answers. Sadly vets may be a small priority but she is not the vet, some places seniors do have priority but there are no guarantees. Most section 8 is limited and 2-3 year waiting lists. You need to figure out some alternative places for her to go or let her move in with you? Also check to see if there are any senior apartments that are income based.
Starwood

Post by Starwood »

Does your agency have any contacts in Contra Costa County, California, or Alameda County for housing. All we have left is our personal and housing assets.
We are a senior Citizen couple, disabled and both of us are fighting for our lives as I’m in the 4th stages of Prostate cancer. I’ve been temporarily cut off from my oncology weekly treatments, because I’m $3,700 behind in my co-payments.
In December 2013, we not only lost our home. Everything we’ve worked so hard for the past 32 years is basically lost.
We are now sleeping in the our Car, and basically on the verge of committing suicide, as we can’t find a family unit that will take senior citizens, and we both can not get In-home Services without a permanent address.
We were on a Senior Citizen’s housing list, however when we were called for an available studio unit, we were not only turned down, but taken off the waiting list, because of the negative credit report, and foreclosures. We stayed in a shelter, until we left because they took everything we had personally and dared us to say anything to the staff. I’ve been hit and threatened.
We have called all types of shelters even over night, but they are always full. I’ve always believed God would find favor for us with someone in the power and authority of the holy sprit, as I’ve taught over 40 years that the righteous are never forsaken by God.
Every shelter we call is full and have waiting list, and basically no family shelters have space for senior disabled husband and wife.
Do you have any, any possible contacts in our area (Pittsburg, California). We are now penniless until our next social security check in July, 2015. Unless someone provides us with favor, we are going to perish. I don’t understand why we are so cursed after giving all of our live to helping others.
Thank you,
Cara

Post by Cara »

Hi. I'm trying to get help paying my rent housing bills. I'm on disability and a senior. On the first of May SSI is taking 366 dollars out of my check for medical care part B. I only get 1047 A month. This will leave me with 681. But my rent is 682.50. Plus I can't pay any bills which is around 210. I don't know what I'm going to do!
The thing is Medi Cal is providing me so I can get part B and according to them I'm still receiving benefits but SSI says I'm not. Until this is straightened out I don't want to be homeless, so I need some type of senior housing program. If there is any way of getting help I would much appreciate it. Thank you.
Berner Davis

Post by Berner Davis »

I am asking for a friend who has been living on the street in Downtown Houston for over a year. She is 62 years old so she is considered a senior. She informed me that she is currently applying for her social security benefits, but that they only come to about $200 per month. What type of housing can she apply for in the state of Texas? She also has a dog and there are not shelters in Houston that accept dogs.
CSheen

Post by CSheen »

I really hope you can refer me to someone...I'm trying to find a comfortable, safe place for my 84 year old mom in a senior section HUD housing program. She currently lives in magnolia, but she wants to be closer to me.
She has 2 small, housebroken dogs. She is active & has her own transportation. She is on social security & a very limited budget. My mom would be an excellent tenant. I wish she could get a small mobile home to move on my property, but neither of us can afford that. She stayed in a small camper here, but it was too cold in the winter & I needed to make too many repairs.
She didn't want to take my youngest daughter's bedroom, so had to move back to magnolia...it has been very traumatic. I have looked everywhere! Everything is so high priced!!! Thank you so much for any advice.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I am a senior citizen. And am trying to recover from Flood Damages.
I lost my Section 8 Voucher.
Because my landlord did not do the necessary repairs. And CHA abated the rent.
My landlord refused to accept my portion of. $80-$81.
And I am responsible for paying the full rent. Which I can't afford $495.00.
I have found a place to move, but I don't have money for my Security Deposit.
FEMA has helped me tremendously. But I am still in need of help.
Catholic Charities is gating me a moving truck and boxes.
Which will be here on the 15th of December.
My move out date is December 15 2015. I have to be out of here on the 15 of December.
Need help with Security Deposit and Food.
Your help will greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The HUD voucher program in Pennsylvania can be a solution for you. Seniors, or those recovering from a disaster (say floods) may get priority. Find the details on those section 8 vouchers in Pennsylvania on our main site.
Danny wrote:I am a senior citizen. And am trying to recover from Flood Damages.
I lost my Section 8 Voucher.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

My parents are seniors and need rent assistance or affordable housing referrals, like Section 8 or comparable.  Their rent is going higher and their Medicare and Social Security is not able to cover it all.  My senior parents really need help paying their rent or some type of subsidized help in the form of rent assistance or housing program or senior housing that is affordable.  Please send me information as soon as possible as this is getting to be an issue that might leave them without the ability to pay any of their rent at all.  My Dad is disabled, and my Mom is very unhealthy as well.  Please get back to me as soon as possible.  
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are many programs for senior citizens - for housing and other bills too. If the rent is going up illegally, look into legal aid too. As far as other options, find financial resources for the elderly.
Reiner wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 am My parents are seniors and need rent assistance or affordable housing referrals, like Section 8 or comparable.  Their rent is going higher and their Medicare and Social Security is not able to cover it all.  My senior parents really need help paying their rent or some type of subsidized help in the form of rent assistance or housing program or senior housing that is affordable.  Please send me information as soon as possible as this is getting to be an issue that might leave them without the ability to pay any of their rent at all.  My Dad is disabled, and my Mom is very unhealthy as well.  Please get back to me as soon as possible.  
Travis Cult

Post by Travis Cult »

My senior mother is on Section 8 Housing in Champaign County. She receives Social Security Disability due to mental illness. I am trying to help her from a different state and her worker even though she has sent an email giving them permission to talk to me. She is completely confused and behind on her rent. Her worker refuses to talk with me on her behalf. The worker says she has to fill out their paper and get it notarized for her to speak with me. She has no car and I believe they don’t want me involved because I believe there is something wrong with how they are paying, which is nothing so far. My senior mom has been there 3 months and is paying everything out of pocket. I know this is not right. What can I do? Kind regards.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are income based housing too, often in partnership with section 8 such as in IL too. If your mom has a mental illness, that may help including from Section 202. Look here for section 202 senior income based housing.
Travis Cult wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:16 am My senior mother is on Section 8 Housing in Champaign County. She receives Social Security Disability due to mental illness. I am trying to help her from a different state and her worker even though she has sent an email giving them permission to talk to me. She is completely confused and behind on her rent. Her worker refuses to talk with me on her behalf. The worker says she has to fill out their paper and get it notarized for her to speak with me. She has no car and I believe they don’t want me involved because I believe there is something wrong with how they are paying, which is nothing so far. My senior mom has been there 3 months and is paying everything out of pocket. I know this is not right. What can I do? Kind regards.