Was in military and now need help

State and local government assistance programs.
Bw19
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Was in military and now need help

Post by Bw19 »

My son who served 2 tours in Iraq is married and supports 3 step children ages 5, 6 and 10. After he returned from his 2nd tour, he was unable to find employment. This lasted for many months. He applied every where he could think of, but no job. They got behind on their mortgage, utilities and car payments, etc. About a month ago he found a job through Helmets to Hardhats. Unfortunately it is taking them a while to get on their feet. Just recently they had to give birth to their stilborn child who was 14 weeks old. This has set them back because there is currently very little money coming in. They are at least 2 months behind on their mortgage and vehicle. I worry that they don't have money for food. I know that they have requested assistance at several places but I don't think they have had any luck. Do you know of any assistance programs that might be available in Indiana? I appreciate your response. We have tried to help in any way that we can, but we are limited.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Was in military and now need help

Post by Admin »

Great to hear about your son serving, and should be proud. Indiana does have several programs. This link will direct you to some. The state does have some mortgage and foreclosure assistance programs as well. Also, have you tried contacting some veteran offices? There should be programs for military personnel. The main sites does list some of those military programs as well.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... grams.html
Bw19 wrote:My son who served 2 tours in Iraq is married and supports 3 step children ages 5, 6 and 10. After he returned from his 2nd tour, he was unable to find employment. This lasted for many months. He applied every where he could think of, but no job. They got behind on their mortgage, utilities and car payments, etc. About a month ago he found a job through Helmets to Hardhats. Unfortunately it is taking them a while to get on their feet. Just recently they had to give birth to their stilborn child who was 14 weeks old. This has set them back because there is currently very little money coming in. They are at least 2 months behind on their mortgage and vehicle. I worry that they don't have money for food. I know that they have requested assistance at several places but I don't think they have had any luck. Do you know of any assistance programs that might be available in Indiana? I appreciate your response. We have tried to help in any way that we can, but we are limited.
chass

Post by chass »

I am writing in regards to my husband who is 79 years old; Disabled Retired Veteran (United States Navy - 1951-1971). On August 10, 2013, he had an Aortic Abdominal Aneurysm surgery. After his surgery, he lost his ability to stand or walk; he is wheelchair bound.

He and I are struggling financially. We are unable to pay June 2014 Mortgage and Van Payment. In January 2014, we had major plumbing repairs that exceeded our monthly budget and we've recently had to replace our 18 year old refrigerator. I worked for the United States Postal Service for 5 years. I had paid caregivers to help me and our daughter, but was unsatisfied with their care of my husband. This went on for 3 years.

Eighteen months ago, I left my job to take care of my husband full-time. My daughter is unemployed and has deferred her college education to assists me with the care of her father on a daily basis. If possible, he and I would like to apply for emergency financial assistance. Any assistance or information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Payments for a mortgage can be covered by HAP, but this will not pay the expense for a van. So the government does have some financial aid programs for people that served our country, with even more help targeted at disabled veterans. Read more on mortgage help for veterans.
As far as the repairs, maybe you can take out a little extra money from HAP, then use that money to pay for the plumbing and other household bills you have.