SSDI not enough for bills and food

State and local government assistance programs.
Really Struggling
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

SSDI not enough for bills and food

Post by Really Struggling »

Thank you in advance for considering my situation. My SSDI payment is very low.
I am low income disabled and a single mom (grandmother). I adopted my grandson and he will be nine years old in July. We are facing foreclosureand having a hard time paying bills and we need help with food among other necessities.
I am 57 years old and became disable about 7-8 years ago, approximately, due to adult onset kyphoscoliosis. I've had 2 unsuccessful surgeries from t1 to pelvis with 2 rods placed on each side of my spine. If you know where I can turn to for financial help we would certainly appreciate any assistance.
My grandson and I receive SSDI and adoption subsidy equaling $1950.00 per month. Our mortgage payment is $765.00 per month including home association fees. Please let me know if you need further information. Sincerely,
MandyMo

Re: SSDI not enough for bills and food

Post by MandyMo »

I'm disabled and on SSDI. We have lost two homes in the past year, the last one we were kicked out under threats and the landlords kept everything we had, including medicines, food, clothing, important documents, dishes, even down too grandmothers ashes. We have a place to live but we have $700-$999, a month, depending on whether the assistance I get to pay Medicare premiums is updated or not, for family to live on and try to replace some of the necessities. The electric is going to be shut off 8/26/14, we don't have the money.
The house we're living in is very old and needs new stove and has one heater and one window AC. It needs some electrical work done. We don't have working washer/dryer. In the past year I have been very sick, and had surgery. I’ve lost about 60lbs from malnutrition. We have over $10,000 in medical bills. Our credit is ruined.
We have also been dealing with the worry and stress of the old landlord threatening us and telling people lies. I can't get help to get our personal property back or to make them stop the rumors and threats. They even threatened to call CPS, because we don’t have any of my sons clothes, bed, dishes, pans, or even toys. The fact that they stole everything we owned doesn’t seem to matter. The motorcycle club the landlords are involved with have been used as a threat also. I’m scared to ask anyone for help, I don't even have all the documents that most agencies require to get assistance. We live in Johnson county Texas so we only have one electric company and they don't participate in Liteup Texas. I really need help, I can't fix any of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Protein15

Post by Protein15 »

Hi,
I live with my fiancé and our 6 year old daughter.
On October 31, 2014 8th my fiancé fell about 30 feet from a roof and was airlifted to Dartmouth and suffered a broken neck, broken rib and broken pelvis as well as a sprained ankle knee and arm. So we file for SSDI.
He is out of work a minimum of 3 months before light duty if we are lucky... we lost a significant amount of income. I have 2 jobs myself but only bring in between 1000 - 1300 a month which is barely enough to cover our rent, cell phone, and gas...
We were wondering what type of assistance he or we would qualify for. So far we have had no luck with our local office and we did start a GoFundMe page but haven't had much luck with that...
Our bills per month:
Rent 750 (everything included).
Cell 240 to 300.
His work insurance 130 to 144.
Credit card bills about 100 per month (maxed out).
Gas for me easily 40 per week.
Then groceries.
If you can help our at least give us a point in the direction to supplement our SSDI that's be great, and thank you.
Julia

Post by Julia »

I have received an eviction notice and am out of food. I am on Social Security disability SSDI and get paid on the second Wednesday of every month, but my rent is due on the 1st and because I pay my rent late I have accumulated late fees and haven't been able to catch up.
My rent is $745 per month and my utility bills are $300. They are asking for $1052 plus $119 court costs this month. If you can offer any assistance for food, my bills, or anything, please help me. I haven't been able to pay any of my other utilities because my whole check is going to my rent every month.
TimesofNY

Post by TimesofNY »

My sole source of income is SSDI and, although I am grateful for it, SNAP, and excellent health coverage...and am at the high end of the SSDI "payment scale," the monthly amount does not even cover my rent or food...and even if I could find another lower rent living situation, my monthly SSDI would be lowered and not cover THAT rent. For physical and psychological reasons I will likely never be able to work/supplement my SSDI...Terrified of becoming homeless!!!
johnson

Post by johnson »

I am on SSDI and I work 18 hours per week. I live alone and I'm 61 years old. Everything is so expensive here that I can't really make it. I live in an area where rent is over $1000/month. My SSDI disability is only &1445 so it is not enough for my bills. I have other bills I have to pay. Food, car insurance, premium for pharmacy from Medicare, electric bill, water, and others. I really am not able to live well at all. I need help with rent. Please guide me to the right place to help me.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, if you rent is $1000 and you make $1445, that will never add up. You need to work more, get a higher income, or completely change your life. Move somewhere cheaper (housing or state), get a room mate, move with family, or something. There are resources for you though, and find Arizona SSDI disability programs.
johnson wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:04 am I am on SSDI and I work 18 hours per week. I live alone and I'm 61 years old. Everything is so expensive here that I can't really make it. I live in an area where rent is over $1000/month. My SSDI disability is only &1445 so it is not enough for my bills. I have other bills I have to pay. Food, car insurance, premium for pharmacy from Medicare, electric bill, water, and others. I really am not able to live well at all. I need help with rent. Please guide me to the right place to help me.
Emilie

Post by Emilie »

Hello,
My name is Terra, I've been put in an impossible situation and would like to ask for any and all assistance available to me.
I've been on Social Security Disability (SSDI) since 2013. In March of 2023 this was stopped due to over payment due to part time employment. This was incorrect so I appealed the decision. During the appeal process I received emergency Disability for 6 months while they reviewed my case. That 6 months ended on September 3rd 2023 with no decision made. My last conversation with them was September 30th when I did another work review. Now I'm waiting for their decision as I need my SSDI to buy food and pay the bills.
In the meantime and due to these circumstances I'm in danger of losing my apartment, I have received shutoff notices for my electric, my cell phone has been disconnected, I'm also in danger of losing my car and car insurance. I've begun to run low on food as well.
On June 20th i began working part-time for G&A Partners in Joplin 20 hours a week.
If there is anything you can do I would greatly appreciate it. Please feel free to contact me by email or on my office phone extension. Again, thank you for your time and any assistance you could give.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We do have many financial assistance programs listed, by city, state and county. We are not sure where you are, but you can try them. Hopefully combine that with SSDI will help you, and find financial help in your city. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/find_help.html
Emilie wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:22 pm Hello,
My name is Terra, I've been put in an impossible situation and would like to ask for any and all assistance available to me.