Resources in Washington DC for bills

State and local government assistance programs.
Michelson
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Resources in Washington DC for bills

Post by Michelson »

I am on 53 and on disability my husband will be 60 on 12/22. He is partially disabled and works part time. Our home in Washington DC was foreclosed on last year and I declared bankruptcy. We have approximately $2419.00 income a month. Our rent is $900.00 a month and utilities $126 with PIPP. Food assistance was cut to $16 month they say we make to much money. I have several outstanding medical bills (400), unpaid city taxes (325), unpaid lien from home (50) and I need to have a tooth extracted (?) We have no savings and cashed in any retirement funds a few years ago trying the save the house. We live very simply but have are struggling to pay each months bills let alone the additional medical and taxes or anything extra. Are there any programs in DC that can assist us?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Resources in Washington DC for bills

Post by Admin »

There are different agencies t trying in DC for help. For medical bills, you can try credit counseling. There are also food pantries and rent programs. But the fact is that part of the country is expensive, so even if you live simply you may need to somehow find a way to cut back more, or increase your income. The job market in Washington DC is very strong. But try the agencies here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... progr.html
ohnathan

Post by ohnathan »

I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. I am a single mother of 5 with 3 still living at home in Washington DC and am now
missing a lot of work due to appointments and chemo which will start right before Christmas. I just wonder are there
any programs to help me temporarily until I am able to get through this whole ordeal.
I am scared and feel alone and since I only work 32 hours a week I do not get paid time off. I barely get any child support and am trying my best to
keep my head above water. If someone could at least put me in touch with someone who could give me some direction I
would be more than grateful. I am overwhelmed and scared as it is and now worry about keeping a roof over our heads and
food on the table for my children. Thank you so much for your quick response. Sincerely,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

So Sad trying to take care of kids now getting sick with cancer and chemo. Hopefully you are getting child support or have help...as so many single moms do not get child support. That is always a huge risk one one parent cares for the kid...getting sick, hurt, unable to work, or something else. If not getting child support, try the courts (but they are often very slow). As far as immediate help, try the Salvation Army in DC. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... rmy_f.html
ohnathan wrote:I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. I am a single mother of 5 with 3 still living at home in Washington DC and am now
missing a lot of work due to appointments and chemo which will start right before Christmas. I just wonder are there
any programs to help me temporarily until I am able to get through this whole ordeal.
I am scared and feel alone and since I only work 32 hours a week I do not get paid time