Resources for a caregiver or someone in hospice

State and local government assistance programs.
Valerie
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Resources for a caregiver or someone in hospice

Post by Valerie »

My aunt was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. She was placed on hospice today and has been given up to three months to live. She is now living with my sister who had to cut her hours at work to take 24 hour care of my aunt. There bills have almost doubled and they are barely making ends meet. My family is now looking for assistance in any way we can find it.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Resources for a caregiver or someone in hospice

Post by Admin »

Many of the resources focused on seniors, such as from Agency on Aging centers, also help those that are terminally ill. The programs tend to overlap. They may give you hospice or similar services. Locate assistance for the sick and elderly and call an agency on aging office in your community.
SeeMe

Post by SeeMe »

I have been taking care of my Mother with a Brain Tumor for about 12 years now. It has been 10-12 years since I have gone on a vacation without my Mom and I recently have started therapy too. I have been here caregiver this entire time. I have planned a trip to Florida with my Niece starting May 22nd and my Mom has a sitter which stays with her during the week and will be available to me, while I am gone, but the family somewhat slacks in paying for things.
I need money to give my Sitter so I can get away. My therapist says, If I do not worry about myself more, my Mother isn’t going to have a caregiver. Can you help me?
Julie Kay

Post by Julie Kay »

Hello, my name is Julie and I take care of my elderly neighbor who is bedridden and in a form of hospice. His name is Steve and he is a VA veteran who is 77 years old and we live in Kentucky... I am looking to find some program or organization that will pay me for taking care of him.
With him being 100% bedridden and rely in hospice, me keeping a job is just unattainable at this time. I tried to get assistance through the VA but unfortunately his time in service was in the reserves and they do not offer aid & attendance for current and/or former members of the reserves... He was a drill sergeant as well as a drill instructor... All of his service time in the reserves was during the Vietnam war.
Those three things that I just named off are each a reason for approval for aid & attendance for all other veterans and members of the service but like I said since his was in the reserves that knocked him out.
I have a fiance who has been able to support us and our household along with Mr Steve's medical necessities that are not covered by his insurance... Unfortunately his expenses are rising and my fiance is not working as much as he was.
things aren't just financially tight right now they are up the creek without a paddle bad only we can get resources for caregiving.
I have called I don't know how many different businesses and organizations to try and find one that will pay me for taking care of him but so far the only thing that I have found the requirement is that he has to be on Medicaid... He has Medicare and we thought about putting him on Medicaid but one of his stents in physical rehab caused an issue when they were going to sign him up on Medicaid they told us that we could not touch his income that it would all go to the rehab facility.
My fiance and I are his power of attorney and we pay his bills for him.
With them telling us that we could no longer take the money from his account to pay his rent and utilities and other bills, we ended up having to take him out of that facility to stop them from getting Medicaid.
He wants to be at home with his two little doggies and I will do everything in my power to keep him there as long as it's in his best interest.
I just need financial assistance for a hospice caregiver.. Taking care of my household alone is a lot but adding his house his two dogs and him being completely bedridden, that's a full time job itself.
Can you give me any information or contact information on who I could reach out to for assistance with this...
Thank you in advance,
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays